Official Review: Sunshine in the Shadows: Book 2 of the S...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Official Review: Sunshine in the Shadows: Book 2 of the S...

Post by Allyseria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sunshine in the Shadows: Book 2 of the Sunshine Series" by MF Blake.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sunshine in the Shadows is the second book in the Sunshine Series, written by M.F. Blake. It is a young adult fantasy novel that follows Sunny, a second year academy student in a four-year program that trains students to become future Ambassadors. These students will then go on to ensure the peace of the Unified Universe.

The book follows Sunny on her holiday where she visits her friend’s home planet, rides a Clopthristwith for the first time and falls even deeper in love with a certain blue-eyed warrior. But when the Universe faces their greatest threat, Sunny has to decide whether or not to go against her culture and use her natural instincts to help in the upcoming war.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars.

When I read the blurb, my first thought was that it was going to be a young-adult version of Star Trek. The blurb intrigued me and I was excited to read about Sunny and her ultimatum. The book promised a fast-paced read filled with action and big decisions.

Instead, we were treated with chapters and chapters of Sunny’s light-hearted holiday adventures as a tourist. We were forced to follow her on her visit to her friend’s home planet, witness her reactions to all the different sights, watch her ride on a Clopthristwith and see her attend balls. I know that these adventures were mentioned in the blurb, but I did not expect them to take up almost the entire book. I expected the book to quickly introduce the Universe’s threat, but only in the last chapters did the book really touch upon the actual plot. In my opinion, Sunny’s holiday adventures could have easily been omitted because they did nothing to add to the story.

The characters in the book were also shallow. There was Sunny, the main protagonist who was your cliched, beautiful and petite, blonde female who happened to be an impossibly perfect fighter; Gideon, the next in line to the throne royalty who seemed to exist purely to be Sunny’s love interest; the friends, who again, were just there to be the protagonists’ friends; and finally, there were the cliched baddies who were bad because they were from a particular race.

Overall, the book had a good concept. Unfortunately, it did not translate into the book, thus making the book feel like a filler. If you had read the first book, you could have easily skipped this book and move straight onto the next in the series without having missed much at all.

Sunshine in the Shadows: Book 2 of the Sunshine Series
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Allyseria's review? Post a comment saying so!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Based on your descriptions of the book, I can understand your frustrations in having to wait so long to see the plot unfolds. It is a beautiful plot but the flow is not built up properly. Thank you for your honest review of this book.
peterhead
Currently Reading: Keep on Sailing the Wine Dark Sea
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by peterhead »

the book should have featured more on kids and teen according to it's cover but i think the writer got his message and some grab the needed.
mr_creative
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mr_creative »

When I read the blurb, my first thought was that it was going to be a young-adult version of Star Trek. The blurb intrigued me and I was excited to read about Sunny and her ultimatum. The book promised a fast-paced read filled with action and big decisions.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

It’s really a shame this book wasn’t developed more and had so much filler. Hopefully if there are sequels the author will mature and perfect the writing to correct this issue.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

Looks like Sunny had to make some tough decisions. I appreciate your review.I look forward to learning more about Sunny when I read the book.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

What a pity this book fell so flat!
I would expect the author to at least build up to some sort of climax from the start.
Well done on persevering!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Overall, the book had a good concept. Unfortunately, it did not translate into the book, thus making the book feel like a filler.
How unfortunate. It's like the author got carried away with Sunny, and the plot was an afterthought! The premise seems quite promising.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Imagine reading the book expecting to discover the Universe's threat and the characters embarking on the journey to ensure peace, only to find almost the entire story talking about the main protagonist's adventure. It must have been difficult for you to finish the book. Thanks for your helpful review.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

crediblereading2 wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 09:57 Based on your descriptions of the book, I can understand your frustrations in having to wait so long to see the plot unfolds. It is a beautiful plot but the flow is not built up properly. Thank you for your honest review of this book.
Thank you for leaving a comment!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

peterhead wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 15:24 the book should have featured more on kids and teen according to it's cover but i think the writer got his message and some grab the needed.
Thank you for your comment! The book is targeted at young adults and the main characters are 17 year olds :)
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

Momiji1987 wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 00:23 It’s really a shame this book wasn’t developed more and had so much filler. Hopefully if there are sequels the author will mature and perfect the writing to correct this issue.
Thank you for leaving a comment. I have hope for the author's next book in this series :)
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

Onyinye Excel wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 06:16 Looks like Sunny had to make some tough decisions. I appreciate your review.I look forward to learning more about Sunny when I read the book.
Thank you for leaving a comment :) Yes, Sunny has some tough decisions to make. Unfortunately, none of the tough decisions happens in this book. That's what deducted the stars from the review.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

Bianka Walter wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 09:21 What a pity this book fell so flat!
I would expect the author to at least build up to some sort of climax from the start.
Well done on persevering!
Thank you for leaving a comment :) I do believe that engaging books usually dive straight in from the start. Hopefully the next book in the series will do exactly that!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

Cotwani wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 16:50
Overall, the book had a good concept. Unfortunately, it did not translate into the book, thus making the book feel like a filler.
How unfortunate. It's like the author got carried away with Sunny, and the plot was an afterthought! The premise seems quite promising.
Thank you for leaving a comment! Yes, it sounds exactly like what the author did. Because of the promising premise, I have hope for the next book in the series :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”