Official Review: Digger Day by Michael Lee Kirk

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Digger Day by Michael Lee Kirk

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Digger Day" by Michael Lee Kirk.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Digger Day: The Legend of Jaden Crusoe is the first book in a series by Michael Lee Kirk. It's a science fiction adventure that takes place on a collective of planets far from Earth. This futuristic story introduces us to Jaden Crusoe, the Legend of Legends.

Jaden has dreamed about being a Legend his entire life. He fantasizes about going down into the hole of the Digger and coming back out with the lifesaving juice that makes the vaccine to cure the Chira disease that has ravished their worlds. Sure, it's dangerous. But, if you make it back out alive, you become famous. After being caught outside the colony boundaries having killed a prized Digger for maiming his friend Joanna, he's about to get his chance to find out if he has what it takes to become a Legend.

Meanwhile, the ruling party of Alpha Prime has decided they must have more Digger juice. Out of all twelve hunts per cycle on each world, there is usually only one victor. There is already a lottery in place to decide who gets the lifesaving vaccine as there isn't enough to go around. This results in the death of many innocent people. The results must be increased. But, why is the number of victors so low? Why can't something be synthesized in place of the Digger juice?

At the beginning of the book, there is a map of the worlds in The Collective. I thought this was a great introduction to the new world in which I was immersing myself. The planet names were very descriptive - Reptile Planet, Digger Planet, Island Planet. The author follows this up well with his world building; I found no fault with it. There were new planets to discover and new species to explore.

The characters were lively and engaging. There was, of course, a blend of good and evil here. They were, though, made more realistic by the fact that the good characters were not always complete saints. Jaden, in fact, commits a crime that lands him in the Digger hunts in the first place. The relationships between the characters were complicated as they are in real life. This creates a depth in the story that you don't otherwise have.

As far as the plot goes, there is an overarching story that Mr. Kirk is in the process of explaining to the reader. To discover this main story line, we must go back to the beginning and learn about Jaden and Alpha Prime. This leads to multiple plot lines, but the author was masterful at switching between them. I was never confused but always thirsty for more. As you might expect being the first book in the series, this is only the start of the big picture. Therefore at the end, I was left with more questions than answers. Frustrating to be sure, but not necessarily unforeseen. Thankfully, the second book in the series, Digger Down, is already out on Amazon.

There was also plenty of action to keep a reader interested. In fact, there was never a dull moment. It was a book that I thought about even after I was forced to stop reading. To me, this says something about the quality of the book as I looked forward to returning to the story.

Overall, Digger Day is a creative science fiction story packed with action and adventure. With few grammatical errors, I give this story a full 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend it to fans of science fiction that enjoy a good series and aren't afraid of a few unanswered questions. If you don't like new worlds, advanced technologies and cliffhanger endings, you probably won't enjoy this read.

Digger Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cindyr2416
Favorite Book: Ironbark Hill
Currently Reading: Parkhurst tales
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindyr2416.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by cindyr2416 »

Seems like a very thrilling book. I love books that keep you thinking after you are done reading. I’m interested to see if he can get a cure for this disease and find a way to become this legend he has dreamed of.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

cindyr2416 wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 08:25 Seems like a very thrilling book. I love books that keep you thinking after you are done reading. I’m interested to see if he can get a cure for this disease and find a way to become this legend he has dreamed of.
It was definitely a good one. I'm looking forward to trying out the second in the series. :)
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I wonder if the author got any inspiration from Robinson Crusoe of three centuries ago.

While I usually do not engage in outer space sci-fi, I can make room for some of the good ones. This futuristic Crusoe seems interesting enough to tickle my fancy. And this Digger juice sounds like the "miracle cure."

Thanks for another exciting review, Kandscreeley!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Miriam Molina wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 17:20 I wonder if the author got any inspiration from Robinson Crusoe of three centuries ago.

While I usually do not engage in outer space sci-fi, I can make room for some of the good ones. This futuristic Crusoe seems interesting enough to tickle my fancy. And this Digger juice sounds like the "miracle cure."

Thanks for another exciting review, Kandscreeley!
I think this would be good for those that don't necessarily usually enjoy sci-fi. Yes, it's futuristic, but there's enough action and adventure to keep everyone involved. And, nothing is too over your head science wise. And as for the Digger juice, all I can say is: Is it?
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

It sounds interesting, but sci-fi is not usually my preferred genre. Since this one has a cliff hanger and I'd likely want to stick around for the second book I'm not sure I would want to get started in this right now. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

AmySmiles wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 11:38 It sounds interesting, but sci-fi is not usually my preferred genre. Since this one has a cliff hanger and I'd likely want to stick around for the second book I'm not sure I would want to get started in this right now. Thanks for the review.
I understand. You'd definitely want to read the second after starting this one, so you'd have to make time for a series. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I never thought of myself as a science fiction fan, but I find myself enjoying more variety than I thought possible. I like your comment that you were "never confused but always thirsty for more." It sounds like the author did a good job! I might check this one out. Thanks for another very informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

stacie k wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 13:31 I never thought of myself as a science fiction fan, but I find myself enjoying more variety than I thought possible. I like your comment that you were "never confused but always thirsty for more." It sounds like the author did a good job! I might check this one out. Thanks for another very informative review!
Thanks! It was definitely intriguing, and I believe would be good for more than the normal sci-fi fans.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

There was also plenty of action to keep a reader interested. In fact, there was never a dull moment. It was a book that I thought about even after I was forced to stop reading. To me, this says something about the quality of the book as I looked forward to returning to the story.
I agree. The connection you described after finishing the book is a credit to the author. Excellent review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 21:29
I agree. The connection you described after finishing the book is a credit to the author. Excellent review!
It is. Thanks for your comment and stopping by.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Ohhhh, nice to hear about a complex sci/fi not falling on its face. There is such an art to proper worldbuilding. I'm glad the author seemed to hit the nail squarely on the head with this novel.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

CommMayo wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 13:19 Ohhhh, nice to hear about a complex sci/fi not falling on its face. There is such an art to proper worldbuilding. I'm glad the author seemed to hit the nail squarely on the head with this novel.
World building is an art. It takes an excellent author to do it well, bit I really loved it. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Science Fiction is not my favorite genre. But I'm planning on giving this one a try and making room for the series.The excellent writing and the realistic characters are quite intriguing. Thanks for the wonderful and comprehensive review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 12:37 Science Fiction is not my favorite genre. But I'm planning on giving this one a try and making room for the series.The excellent writing and the realistic characters are quite intriguing. Thanks for the wonderful and comprehensive review.
There's quite a bit of action in this one, so it'd be good for more than sci fi fans. Thanks for your comment. I hope you enjoy.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”