Official Review: Siona's Tale by Barbara A Liepe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Siona's Tale by Barbara A Liepe

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Siona's Tale" by Barbara A Liepe.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Siona’s Tale by Barbara A Liepe tells two stories in one—the story of human Siona and the story-within-a-story of Sea squirt Siona.

Eleven-year-old human Siona dislikes going to the ocean with her mother, a marine biologist. After a long day by the water, Siona’s mother tells human Siona a story about a sea squirt named Siona. The sea squirt is born loving to swim and wanting to explore, but she is pressured to attach to a rock and stay in one place forever. Sea squirt Siona doesn’t want this and, with the help of new friends, travels far to find the Spanish dancer and a wise old clam. Will they be able to help sea squirt Siona? Meanwhile, why does human Siona dislike the water so much?

This story was absolutely adorable. Friendship and family are strong themes throughout. The descriptions were just beautiful Whether with human or sea squirt Siona, I could see the blue of the water or the many colors of the fish. Sea squirt Siona’s tail did so many amazing things, and I found myself thinking of her tail as its own character.

Science and math also factor greatly into this story. At the beginning of the book, human Siona says she is 58% grown up. This mathematical thinking is typical of her character. She counts exact numbers of paces to get from point A to point B. When she measures things, the measurements are precise. This book is definitely on the side of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math). I was reintroduced to concepts I hadn’t thought about since middle or high school. Some I remembered. Some I’d forgotten but recalled vaguely once they were described. And others, I just gave up on ever thinking I knew. For me, it was a fun trip back to science class.

While the math and science concepts are interesting, I felt a disconnect between them and the story. The storyline of Siona’s Tale is perfect for children between the ages of six and nine or ten. The science, however, felt more for ages twelve to fourteen. Older children might find Siona’s story too young for them, and younger children might get too confused by the science. Some sections also felt very heavy on the amount of science. For example, at one point the different numbers for various light wavelengths are given. There were so many, and I found myself getting a bit confused because they came at me so fast. Perhaps it’s because I’m less scientifically minded, but it was just too much sometimes.

I rate Siona’s Tale 3 out of 4 stars. I noticed only one error in the entire book, which speaks to how much effort the author put into the finish product. The disconnect between the story and science ages keep me from rating this 4 stars, but I never thought to rate it below 3. Middle school-aged kids who are very into science would enjoy this book. This might also be good for kids who are great at science but behind in reading. The book could present an opportunity for science lovers to work on their language skills. Ambitious younger kids may also enjoy this, especially with a parent who could assist with some of the tougher science concepts. Overall, this book is both educational and entertaining from page one. If you don’t mind a lot of science with your fiction, the tale of Siona and her tail is not to be missed.

Siona's Tale
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Sounds like an interesting story. I saw this one for review and couldn't quite figure out if I would like it or not. This is one of those books that it is hard to tell from the onset who the target audience is. Thank you for specifying that. Nice review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like it could be a very cute story. I wonder what Siona decides about the water by the end. Still, it does sound like there's a bit of an age discrepancy as far as audience goes. Thanks again for another great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a sweet story for young readers. Thanks for your candid review.
stbrians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stbrians.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by stbrians »

A book in the STEM category is worth the read. You talk of science, technology, engineering and math. I love science fiction books. I should get this book for my children.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

This sounds like a cute story. I KNOW that my childhood self would have loved this so much.
Thanks for the review!
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

The storyline seem interesting, though I am not so convinced. But I love the fact that science was represented here. I think I'll get to read it.

Thank for this enlightenment!
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This is a book that will be lovely to read. Thanks for the detailed review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
favsav20102011
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by favsav20102011 »

The topic:siona Tale by barbara A liepe,is truly a scientific writeup,that will motivate our young ones to pursue science as a field og study.
Thanks for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”