Official Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Re: Official Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Sicily Joy »

Thanks for a great detailed review. I like novels that tackle social issues especially the issues of capitalism. Based on your review I think I will have to give this book a try.
Doris Mbotela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do57.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Doris Mbotela »

This sounds like an interesting read. I am not usually keen on futuristic, science fiction due to the heavy emphasis on robots and aliens but your review makes it sound like worthy to read.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a realistic science fiction thriller that encompasses politics espionage and an possible alternate future. The plot was captivating and the onlinebookclub review of the book was one of the best that I've read in a while. Congrats on being the BOTD.
MiziS_1305
Favorite Book: The Lost Symbol
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mizis-1305.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by MiziS_1305 »

Nations taken over by corporate world!! Though the plot is fictional now, it may become reality in near future. The assassin portrayed in the story is a myth. I seriously despise the plot where an assassin, who kills other people ruthlessly, suddenly gets softened by a girl wanting to protect her. Nevertheless, I want to give this one a go and take a peek into the world's future.
Hannah_Vibbert
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Hannah_Vibbert »

After reading the sample and your review, I had to buy this book! The similarities between the events in the story and the current events in the real world are uncanny and it's hard to not want to read more about this future world controlled by consumerism and giant corporations. I love dystopia stories and this one sounds like it's full of all my favorite things; action, future tech, out-of-the-box protagonist, sci-fi, and mystery. Cant wait to finish this one!
eddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddix.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eddix »

Thanks for your review. I like thrillers, but some sci-fi novels are a bit much for me, and this is one of them. I prefer to think about a world, especially a futuristic one, that is not all bad.
Saloh
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saloh.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Saloh »

After reading this review ,I feel like I should just read the book already! Agent Silver could be the man who saves the human race.The world is actually being taken over by multibillionaires,So the book is not just about the future but its already happening .Great review
Samanthajayne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthajayne12.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Samanthajayne12 »

This sounds exciting and something I’ve never read before! I don’t read much sci-fi and dystopian before but I love the concept of this book and how the world is changed.
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Kinkini »

I really like the review. It gave me quite an insight into the book. However, I do not like the idea portrayed in the book, although its a fiction. I would give this one a pass.
Regards,
Kinkini
A Bookworm
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

This review provides the much needed context for book shoppers to consider in buying Tom Gariffo's World, Incorporated. The first chapter provided in Amazon is the story's quick sprint to action, where the protagonist, Sliver, a Jason Bourne-type of assassin, fulfills a mission to kill a man linked to the bombing of a shopping mall but runs into a woman who inexplicably sparks human emotions in him that are beyond simple attraction. Two lines in the first chapter read: "He felt sad for her, happy because he felt sad for her and angry because he felt happy." The aircraft he uses to go to his mission is virtually a space ship one expects to see decades into the future, and our hero has no sense of his past, only his present -- his mission. The woman is a tear into his consciousness. Timely and reflective of the world's current situation, World, Incorporated warns of a dystopia where nation states have collapsed due to governments' ineptitude and corruption in handling globalization, allowing multinational corporations to take over and turning citizens into consumers. There are elements of 1984, Farenheit 451 and the Bourne Saga where the protagonist is suddenly jolted by a spark of consciousness of who he really could be, that he must have a past deeper and more meaningful than his present. This book will be an interesting, exciting and relevant novel especially for those who are worried about globalization and the weakening of democratic institutions in society.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I love the futuristic aspect of the book. Agent Sliver sounds like a thrilling character. I will add the book to my to-read list. Great review.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

I can't understand why you've rated it 4 stars when the punctuation is so bad. The author needs a strong lesson in appropriate usage of the comma.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Just when I thought I've already had enough of dystopian reading materials and movies lately, this one comes in with an intriguing plot I shouldn't miss. Whereas worst case scenarios portrayed in stories like these could tend to be horrifying and mind-boggling, they also serve as warnings and lessons to consider, learn from, heed, and prepare ourselves, our children, and future generations for. I would have preferred the protagonist to be nothing like an assassin. Yet, I'm curious to know how he rises to redeem himself, how the prevailing issues get resolved, and how the world eases up into acceptable, fair, and just normalcy again.

Thank you for your engaging and insightful review. You've just reinforced my resolve to have this in my Want to Read list.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Why is it that some books predict the collapse of the US economy. Others use terms such as apocalyptic etc. Please let's predict something positive for United States and stop killing US slowly. The review is good anyway.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

The review says it all. The book is sensational and indeed futuristic as it points to a future that is not very impossible. How can it be? It is possible because even today, although it may not be painted in black and white, a large portion of our lives is already being directed if not designed by large supercorporations. Good work.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”