Official Review: Blade Forged In Darkness by M.A.N.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Blade Forged In Darkness by M.A.N.

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blade Forged In Darkness" by M.A.N..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Warriors are able to use their innate energy, or Kani, to attack or defend in their fights with other warriors. This is the premise of the book Blade Forged In Darkness by M.A.N. The book is written entirely in the second person. You read the book as if you are the character in the story, though sometimes you change to someone else’s point of view (P.O.V.). This is clearly marked when it happens, though I sometimes forgot who I was supposed to be and had to go back and check. The story genre is sci-fi/fantasy.

You are Blade, an up and coming warrior wanting to prove yourself. After a particularly successful set of trials you are approached by a mysterious group, that is very powerful, and they offer to teach you more in exchange for doing certain services for them. On one mission you manage to get your hands on “The Book of Power”. Instead of handing it in, you use it to increase your own power. One page, in particular, gives you the ability to summon a very powerful entity to aid you.

Armed with your new summon and new powers, you go in search of the techniques to achieve ultimate power. Fighting incredible battles and learning more with each victory. You make some friends, and some enemies, as your quest continues.

This book is very over the top, I loved it. The part I liked best was where, in the middle of a fight, your opponent does a certain technique, and you think to yourself “I’d better not dodge this attack or the planet might shatter into little pieces.”

As well as lots of fight scenes, there is lots of background for each of the characters provided when they are the focus of the P.O.V. when they recall their past. This makes for a well-rounded adventure story. There was one part of the story where the author changed the subject every page or so. I didn’t like this as I found it very confusing, and most of the time I lost track of who I was supposed to be at that time.

During the reading of this book, I found many grammar and spelling mistakes. Mostly the personal pronouns were in the wrong tense. This added some confusion at times and slowed down the reading. Because of this, even though I really enjoyed the story, I have to give this a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Blade Forged In Darkness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Great review. I love adventure thrillers which leave me on the edge of my seat. Sorry about the grammatical errors though.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I've never read a book written in the second person. That is unique. This also reminds me of my days studying Aikido.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Great review. The way you have explained the book is genius, almost made me seem like I was the character in it.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I wonder who is the target audience for this book? It almost reminds me of a choose your own adventure story given the second person point of view. I enjoyed reading your review.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

The title of the book, Blade Forged In Darkness, made me think or sword fights and vampires. I was right about sword fights but I don't think there are any vampires. Bummer (lol) but that's okay as it sounds like an interesting book. Your review was very clever and it shows what you will be experiencing. I too have read books that have POV shifts that leave you confused. But that didn't seem to take away from the enjoyment of the book. I might want to read this. Thank you for your review.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

this book is definitely unique, written in second person in it's genre, if that's what I understand from the review. I may just check it out, i can probably just skip over the weirdly written parts. Thank for your review!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This is such an engaging read for fans of this genre. I am not sure I can disregard the editorial issues, though. I hope the author had them rectified by now. Thanks for the wonderful review.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A fantasy tale revolving around a warrior named Blade who seeks to achieve the ultimate power sounds good, but I am not fond of 2nd person POV. Reading the book as "if you are the character in the story" can be an interesting experience if it is done right. Too bad about the many grammar and spelling mistakes and the confusing POV shifts. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I like that the book is written so that the reader is a character in this action-packed book. This fight scenes sound entertaining and remind me of something that would be in a video game, like Mortal Kombat! It is too bad about the errors. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I'm not overly keen on sci-fantasy at the best of times. I think with the author's innovative 2nd person POV approach, I'll give it a miss. Thanks for your review!
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I don't think I've ever read a book in the second person that wasn't a choose your own adventure. It sounds pretty interesting. It's a good way for the reader to really feel like a party of the story. This book sounds exciting with so much fighting, but the errors are a real turn off.
Last edited by Elizabeth Pass on 03 Jun 2019, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
Erick Muyesu
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading: Mine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-muyesu.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Erick Muyesu »

A book that is written in the second person is new to me. I would have loved to take this one head-on. Unfortunately, it's a science fiction which isn't my cup of coffee. Thank your well-elaborated review. Congratulations to the author.
Victoria zindo Jones
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Victoria zindo Jones »

I like this friction very much because its unique especially the second person character and the combats very fascinating
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I am grateful for this review because I found the sample pages to be so puzzling. The point of view switch was confusing, and the tense switches added more to the muddy waters for me. It sounds like you were able to get past all that and enjoy the book. I think for me, the sample was way to complicated. Thanks for this insightful review.
Everything happens for a reason...

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”