Official Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chasing The Red Queen" by Karen Glista.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista is a supernatural novel filled with drama, action, and romance. Written in the third person perspective, the story is told through various characters.

Donja Bellanger has her world turned upside down when she moves to a new town after her mother remarries. At first, she is reluctant to go, but as she gets to know her stepsister better, she starts to warm up to her new home. Then, she meets Torin, a mysterious being who she is inexplicitly drawn to. However, their bond with each other is tested when a cold-blooded murderer threatens Donja’s life as well as her family.

The author spent the first part of the book introducing the various characters in the book and took the time to develop them and the relationships they had with each other. However, the interaction between Torin and Donja seemed a bit rushed which made their relationship seem unbelievable. I also feel like the beginning of the story was dragged out, but the middle and end of the story flowed nicely. The action and romance scenes didn’t pop up until halfway through the book.

This book is not what I expected it to be. It is listed under sci-fi/fantasy, but I feel like it would have been a greater fit under the romance genre. The book is very descriptive with the scenery, so it’s easy to visualize the story and the setting. The story is easy to read and to follow along. The characters, like Donja, were realistic and likable. Donja’s struggles and problems are what made her seem realistic. I also like how she was able to bond with her sister Makayla. I liked how Torin wasn’t portrayed as a perfect person since immortal characters like him are often portrayed as perfect untouchable beings.

There is violence, nudity, and graphic scenes, so I wouldn’t recommend this book for younger readers. I came across a few grammatical errors, like punctuation issues, and some of the sentence structures were awkwardly written. I believe that the book was placed under the wrong genre and should be placed under romance.

Overall, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading the action scenes, but it felt as if the beginning of the story dragged on for too long and the romantic relationship between the Donja and Torin seemed rushed. I would recommend this book to readers who like to read paranormal romance novels.

Chasing The Red Queen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your detailed review, but it is a pity that the book was not well-edited nor well-developed.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

gen_g wrote: 20 May 2018, 00:30 Thank you for your detailed review, but it is a pity that the book was not well-edited nor well-developed.
Thanks for commenting!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

This book seemed to have an interesting premise, but it's a shame the romance was rushed (and that the pacing of the book was off)! Thank you for your detailed review, I found it really helpful :)
erlindaceleste
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by erlindaceleste »

the title not seem to fit the content of the book
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

ZenaLei7 wrote: 17 May 2018, 10:38 It is listed under sci-fi/fantasy, but I feel like it would have been a greater fit under the romance genre.
If you don't mind my asking, where does the sci-fi/fantasy come into play? Is it just that Torin is something other than human? Inquiring minds want to know!!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 20 May 2018, 05:21 This book seemed to have an interesting premise, but it's a shame the romance was rushed (and that the pacing of the book was off)! Thank you for your detailed review, I found it really helpful :)
Thanks for commenting!
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

NL Hartje wrote: 20 May 2018, 10:51
ZenaLei7 wrote: 17 May 2018, 10:38 It is listed under sci-fi/fantasy, but I feel like it would have been a greater fit under the romance genre.
If you don't mind my asking, where does the sci-fi/fantasy come into play? Is it just that Torin is something other than human? Inquiring minds want to know!!
Torin is known as an Iridiscent which is sort of like a vampire.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I would have been disappointed with this book myself. I've seen too many books listed under sci fi that really don't have much to do with that. This, this really isn't a book I would enjoy. Thanks though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

The book review didn't say anything about the Red Queen which was part of the title. I would not be interested in this type of book because of the genre to begin with, but then being described as a paranormal romance really turns me off. Thank you for an informative book review, ZenaLei7.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 20 May 2018, 18:16 I would have been disappointed with this book myself. I've seen too many books listed under sci fi that really don't have much to do with that. This, this really isn't a book I would enjoy. Thanks though!
Thanks for commenting!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This book is a bit puzzling. Paranormal romance is not a draw for me, so I think I will pass. Thanks for your informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Kamau Paul
Currently Reading: UBER Taxi Cab Confessions
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Kamau Paul »

The novel did not meet my expectations either. The title of the novel seem attracting and interesting but as you read deep into the novel there is nothing relating with the title. Thanks for the informative review.
Lebesa sekholome
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lebesa sekholome »

gen_g wrote: 20 May 2018, 00:30 Thank you for your detailed review, but it is a pity that the book was not well-edited nor well-developed.
:tiphat:
:techie-reference: yes
Egarcia87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egarcia87.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Egarcia87 »

The 2 star rating is justified especially since the genre is not appropriate for this book. Nice review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”