Official Review: The Prisoner of Zurenda by Kent A. LeFevre

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Official Review: The Prisoner of Zurenda by Kent A. LeFevre

Post by Kendra M Parker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Prisoner of Zurenda" by Kent A. LeFevre.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Prisoner of Zurenda by Kent A. LeFevre is a mythological fantasy set in Ancient Greece shortly after the fall of Troy. Arjun, a young survivor of the Trojan War, discovers that he is a demigod, the son of Selene, the goddess of the moon. Selene wants Arjun to confront the demigoddess Zurenda, who has stolen the island of Piperi and desecrated Selene's temple. Fortunately, Arjun does not have to attempt the quest alone. Two friends come with him from the start, and he makes new friends that help him on his journey.

Opening the review copy of the book, I was excited to see a book that was well-formatted and very attractive with medallion images at the end of the chapters. I dove into the book right away, eager to enjoy the story. Unfortunately, I quickly realized that the book did not seem like it was professionally edited. There were problems with punctuation and word choices that would have likely been resolved with some simple grammar editing. Additionally, the story could use editing for flow and clarity. At times, the writing seemed choppy, and I occasionally found myself confused by some of the things that were happening.

As a fan of mythology, I really enjoyed the plot and setting of the book. It was fun to read about some gods and goddesses that did not feature as strongly in the old myths. LeFevre tells a good, clean story that works well for a young adult audience. Arjun and his closest friends are still in their teens, and even though they acted like teens, they were the sort of teens that could handle responsibility reasonably well. Chapters were generally short and acted like scenes from a film which kept the story moving at a good pace. Scene changes also gave me the opportunity to understand a bit about all of the characters, encouraging me to love the heroes and dislike the villains. Even though characters were not terribly complex, I found characters to both love and despise, much like many of the old Greek myths.

While I enjoyed the book as a whole, I struggled with many of the anachronisms that were used throughout the book. Modern slang was frequently used, and there were references to things such as a hard-wired communication and a washing machine. Instead of feeling modern and intentional, much of this felt out of place and like an accident. The one place where this worked was when several characters visited the underworld, a common enough activity in mythological works. Anachronistic elements made sense here because they were highlighted in a way to point out to the reader how strange the underworld is. I felt that this book wanted to be like Homer's Oddyssey with the flair of a Percy Jackson novel, but it just did not have quite enough spunk to pull it off.

While I enjoyed the book, I will only give The Prisoner of Zurenda 2 out of 4 stars. From a story standpoint, I would say that it has earned 3 stars, but it loses one for the editing issues I noted. A good edit for both grammar and flow could take this book to a 3 or even 4-star level. I would recommend the book to younger readers that enjoy mythological fantasy and perhaps are not too concerned about character development.

The Prisoner of Zurenda
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kendra M Parker's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Why...would there be a washing machine in ancient Greece?? XD This book does seem to have an interesting plot, so it's a real pity about the poor editing and the strange modern references!

Thank you for your review, I enjoyed reading it and you were very clear in your critique :)
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 18 May 2018, 04:12 Why...would there be a washing machine in ancient Greece?? XD This book does seem to have an interesting plot, so it's a real pity about the poor editing and the strange modern references!

Thank you for your review, I enjoyed reading it and you were very clear in your critique :)
There wasn’t actually a washing machine in the scene, but the action was compared to a washing machine. It just didn’t feel like the right comparison to me. Sure, it explained what was happening, but it was written as though the character was experiencing it that way. There was no reason this character would have that frame of reference, and it threw me out of the story a bit. So yeah, that was my issue there.

Thanks for the comment and the compliment! I really enjoy doing these reviews, and the discussion after is just as much fun for me.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 18 May 2018, 08:37
Ginnamassa19 wrote: 18 May 2018, 04:12 Why...would there be a washing machine in ancient Greece?? XD This book does seem to have an interesting plot, so it's a real pity about the poor editing and the strange modern references!

There wasn’t actually a washing machine in the scene, but the action was compared to a washing machine. It just didn’t feel like the right comparison to me. Sure, it explained what was happening, but it was written as though the character was experiencing it that way. There was no reason this character would have that frame of reference, and it threw me out of the story a bit. So yeah, that was my issue there.

Thanks for the comment and the compliment! I really enjoy doing these reviews, and the discussion after is just as much fun for me.

Ahaha no worries, I get what you mean! The character would definitely not be able to make that comparison if they were living in a time when they hadn't yet been invented XD Thanks for taking the time to explain :)

Yay for book discussions! We're all book nerds here :D
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

nice to see the names of characters as Arjun in ancient Greece mythology which is actually of an Hindu origin of India. sounds like authors mixing characters from various mythologies to make it more interesting
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I read the original Percy Jackson series thinking the storylines sounded really good. I didn't care for them enough to continue reading the offshoots. I think a large part of that was because I felt like the characters were too immature. I did enjoy the mythology though. This sounds like it would fall right in line with Percy Jackson for me. A mediocre story needing enough work that I really don't care to give it my time.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

The cover did not appeal to me, but your review made the plot sound interesting. Too bad it missed the mark in a few areas.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

sanjus wrote: 18 May 2018, 10:32 nice to see the names of characters as Arjun in ancient Greece mythology which is actually of an Hindu origin of India. sounds like authors mixing characters from various mythologies to make it more interesting
I did think that Arjun did not really seem very Greek to me, but I wasn’t interested enough to research it. Thanks for the input.

It would have been interesting to see different mythologies mixed together and active in this one, but it didn’t happen here. That sounds like a great premise for a book, though...
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

kfwilson6 wrote: 18 May 2018, 13:02 I read the original Percy Jackson series thinking the storylines sounded really good. I didn't care for them enough to continue reading the offshoots. I think a large part of that was because I felt like the characters were too immature. I did enjoy the mythology though. This sounds like it would fall right in line with Percy Jackson for me. A mediocre story needing enough work that I really don't care to give it my time.
To be honest, I ever actually read any of the Percy Jackson books, largely because they are for a younger audience and they came at a time I was avoiding YA literature. Most of my experience with them comes from the movie and talking to some of the kids I worked with that devoured them. There were some moments in this book book that reminded me of what I knew about the Percy Jackson series and why it was popular. If you’re not super crazy about this sort of thing, you might be better off putting your time elsewhere.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

teacherjh wrote: 18 May 2018, 13:49 The cover did not appeal to me, but your review made the plot sound interesting. Too bad it missed the mark in a few areas.
The cover did make me expect something else than what I found inside. The author could actually benefit from a different cover if he wanted to take this to the next level.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your well-written review! It does seem interesting - I am always a sucker for mythological fantasies - I will have to check it out. It is a pity about the editing errors though.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

gen_g wrote: 19 May 2018, 04:48 Thank you for your well-written review! It does seem interesting - I am always a sucker for mythological fantasies - I will have to check it out. It is a pity about the editing errors though.
I never realized just how many different ways a comma could be misused until I started reviewing books. It’s a shame when commas are abused in this way. I often feel like I’m reading the way William Shatner would play Captain Kirk in the old Star Trek series with breaks after every couple of words.

Commas were really the biggest issue with editing in this book. The book itself is still very readable.

If you like mythological fantasies, you may really enjoy this one, especially if you can overlook the commas in strange places. I hope that you enjoy it if you read it!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 19 May 2018, 09:34
gen_g wrote: 19 May 2018, 04:48 Thank you for your well-written review! It does seem interesting - I am always a sucker for mythological fantasies - I will have to check it out. It is a pity about the editing errors though.
I never realized just how many different ways a comma could be misused until I started reviewing books. It’s a shame when commas are abused in this way. I often feel like I’m reading the way William Shatner would play Captain Kirk in the old Star Trek series with breaks after every couple of words.

Commas were really the biggest issue with editing in this book. The book itself is still very readable.

If you like mythological fantasies, you may really enjoy this one, especially if you can overlook the commas in strange places. I hope that you enjoy it if you read it!
I totally agree! Although to admit, I had to read up on proper comma usage once - I certainly was not aware that there were so many ways in which a comma could be misused. It's a pity that it was a Shatner-like read for you :lol: I would definitely still give it a try if I come across a copy, I certainly hope that I enjoy it too! Thank you for replying!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

gen_g wrote: 21 May 2018, 09:11
Kendra M Parker wrote: 19 May 2018, 09:34

I totally agree! Although to admit, I had to read up on proper comma usage once - I certainly was not aware that there were so many ways in which a comma could be misused. It's a pity that it was a Shatner-like read for you :lol: I would definitely still give it a try if I come across a copy, I certainly hope that I enjoy it too! Thank you for replying!
After a few pages, I can often tune out the commas. Then it becomes a much more pleasant read. Enjoy!
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

This book sounds a little quirky, but kind of fun as well. I enjoyed your review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”