Official Review: Price of Life by David Crane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Official Review: Price of Life by David Crane

Post by jvez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Price of Life" by David Crane.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Immortality enables one to gain as much knowledge and accumulate as much wealth as he wants. However, despite all the perks that come with it, immortality is not always that convenient. And in Price of Life, author David Crane further explores both the good and bad sides of immortality.

Twelve thousand years ago a treacherous attack from enemy warriors annihilated Ru’s tribe. He was the only survivor and would have perished together with his tribe, if not for the blessing sent by the gods. As Ru tried to escape from the enemies, a meteorite crashed onto the ground. Encased in this meteorite was an immeasurable power, the power of immortality. And when Ru held the meteorite, he became the very first immortal—the ‘Magnus Prime.’ Ru also gained the power to steal a human’s life essence and consume it for his own benefit or use it to heal other humans.

Today, Ru and his descendants are living with mortals, blending secretly within the society. And when a group of mortals and immortals threaten mankind, Ru and his descendants now need to fulfill their duties and prevent the bleak future that awaits all.

Price of Life depicts the lives of various immortals and the mortals they happen to interact with. The book also discusses some of the characters’ difficult pasts as they witness the darkest moments of history, such as the World Wars. In every chapter, a character and his past or present experiences are portrayed. The book starts off like a set of separate parallel threads, never touching each other. And it is fascinating to read how and when these threads—the lives of the characters—start to intertwine. Please note that patience is needed to read this book as the pacing is a bit slow in the earlier chapters. The multiple perspectives will also start making sense in later parts of the book, so you’d have to endure the shifting points of view for a while.

This book presents a paranormal fiction story, layered with historical facts and topped with a sprinkle of romance. Any fan of paranormal stories and historical fiction would definitely enjoy this. The romance is not a big factor in the narrative and only serves as a side story. The book also contains a lot of references to historical events, such as the Holocaust and the Cold War. Moreover, there are some fights scenes, so expect scenes depicting violence, torture, and death. If you are not fond of these, then it’s best not to read this book.

Price of Life will definitely make readers ponder on certain ethical issues. The immortals, at least the ‘good’ ones, have a code wherein they are only allowed to take the life force of evil humans. They can even opt to kill these evil humans if they wish. This now leads to the debate whether immortality immediately makes one superior to others. The author also offers criticisms on some political constructs that readers can argue for or against.

The book features an ensemble of remarkable characters. Some of the immortal characters include the traveling musician Laura who fell in love with a mortal, the brilliant financial consultant Dina who has the gift of foresight, and the Holocaust victim turned Nazi-hunter Rachel. With these intriguing characters, I understand the author’s desire to recount all his characters’ stories. But as much as I enjoyed most of the characters’ flashbacks, there are some back stories I think the book could do without. Or perhaps, since the book is subdivided into three parts, the author could have left the recollections in the first part only. Sudden flashbacks tend to hamper the story’s pacing, especially toward the end when the climax was already starting to build up.

Moreover, as much as I enjoy stories with historical references, the author’s narrative was a bit too factual and plain at certain points. I felt like I was reading an excerpt from a history book instead of a historical fiction story. Nonetheless, this only occurred in a few parts of the narrative and not all throughout the book.

Due to the entertaining premise, notable characters, and well-researched historical facts, I am giving Price of Life 3 out of 4 stars. The book is also very well-written with just a few typos and one pronoun error. If only half points were allowed, I would have gladly given this book 3.5 stars.

Price of Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jvez's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sounds interesting, but not something I'm looking for right now. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Even though I generally don't like Historical Fiction and haven't read a Sci-Fi/Fantasy book in eons, I'm all sold on this one (great job!). I really like the idea of the immortals vs. mortals and the fact that some immortals even have a code as to who they will and won't kill. Since I no longer read Romance novels either, I'm glad that the romance is just a minor side story. Again, thanks for the great review and introduction!
faceadventure
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faceadventure.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by faceadventure »

Wow this book sounds amazing! I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for the awesome review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This reminds me of the tv show The Highlander. It had immortals interacting and brought in historical things as well.
Jackson Roby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Jackson Roby »

Sounds like the Ben ten cartoon show on cartoon net work I would rate it 1 out of 4 and it not interesting at all.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

This sounds right up my ally. It looks like a great read, especially with the romance being a back drop for the story instead of a main plot, I will definitely add it to my reading list. Great review!
partinobodycular
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-partinobodycular.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by partinobodycular »

I'm not a huge history buff, but I am interested in the idea of history through the eyes of immortals. Everything they've seen and lived through gives them a different perspective. This book sounds really interesting!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

The immortals blending in with society reminds me of a Spanish story that was translated to English a while ago. It’s interesting to see the history woven into the story, but a shame that it seemed dry in this case.
Mary WhiteFace
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

This sounds like an incredible read. I don't mind a lengthy book. One of my favorites is "Time Enough for Love: The Lives of Lazarus Long" by Robert A. Heinlein. I guess you could call Lazarus immortal, as in after 2000+ years he was still alive. It was just the way it comes about that's interesting.

I love long books about Immortals. It's almost like it has to be a long book. There's so much to tell. It's interesting to see how they interact and blend in with Mortals.

The flashbacks might get to me as well. They are necessary sometimes, but too often and in the wrong place can seriously interrupt the flow. We'll see.

Thank you for your thorough review. I'm adding this one to my bookshelves.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”