Official Review: Orope by Guenevere Lee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Orope by Guenevere Lee

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Orope" by Guenevere Lee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Gods are angry; unless they are appeased, they will wipe out all life in a great flood. This is the message that is given at the start of Orope by Guenevere Lee. This is a fantasy/historical fiction novel set in the distant past. It is written in the third person and follows the journey of the three messengers chosen to spread the message.

The Gogepe, commonly called the Whisperers of Gods, consists of many tribes. Within each tribe, there are women that can communicate with the Gods, called Rhagepe. Once a year they gather for a huge ceremony. At this ceremony, a warning is heard that the Gods will cause the oceans to rise and swallow the land. This is because only the Gopepe follow the old ways. In an attempt to avert disaster, three people are chosen to be the messengers of Gods. These three set out to contact the leaders of the surrounding kingdoms, to try to convince them to change their ways and to return to the old forms of worship. Will they succeed in time?

This is a fascinating look into the past, showing how people with different beliefs interacted. Especially the way that the whisperers were treated, both with great respect and with immense fear. I really liked the way that the author taught us about these different cultures from the Whisperers point of view. I also liked the way that each chapter started with a map of where the messengers were in their respective journeys. This made it easy to work out whom that chapter focused on. There is also a very useful glossary, as there are many unusual terms used throughout the book.

The author has a smooth flowing style that made this an easy book to read. However; some of the concepts that she tried to portray were difficult and some passages I had to read twice to understand what she was getting at. This continued right to the end of the book, where the story didn’t reach a conclusion. It just said, “to be continued”. This makes this a story of many books and can’t really be read on its own.

I really enjoyed reading this story, though there were many grammar mistakes included, mostly in the guise of an extra letter in a word or even an extra word that did cause some confusion. Unfortunately, this means that I have to give this a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. With a bit more proofreading, this would have merited 4 stars. I think this would appeal to anyone who likes fantasy novels, or anyone who likes historical fiction tales about Gods and how they were worshipped. As the book does contain human sacrifices, I don’t think this is suitable reading for youngsters. I also think that anyone not interested in reading the full series should give this a miss.

Orope
View: on Bookshelves

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I like the idea of this book. And I am curious how the messengers told the ordinary people and how they managed to convince them they need to change. Because religion was and is a delicate subject for people, they get offended easily and the stubborn ones refuse to see that they are maybe wrong. But if there is an immediate danger, they might be willing to change.
I also love the idea of a map at the beginning of every chapter. Thank you for the great review!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I'm not sure about that ending, it might leave a little to be desired. The maps prefacing each chapter are a nice touch! I hope the author will give this the proper editing so more readers would be willing to give this book a shot because it sounds very interesting. Thanks for a great review!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A fantasy revolving the journey of the three messengers during the Bronze Age sounds good. Three messengers are sent to warn the people about the wrath of the gods, not an easy task. I like the combination of history and fantasy. The addition of a glossary and maps is certainly a bonus. Too bad about the lack of editing and lack of closure. Thank you.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

The author has a smooth flowing style that made this an easy book to read. However; some of the concepts that she tried to portray were difficult and some passages I had to read twice to understand what she was getting at. This continued right to the end of the book, where the story didn’t reach a conclusion. It just said, “to be continued”. This makes this a story of many books and can’t really be read on its own.

I really enjoyed reading this story, though there were many grammar mistakes included, mostly in the guise of an extra letter in a word or even an extra word that did cause some confusion. Unfortunately, this means that I have to give this a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. With a bit more proofreading, this would have merited 4 stars. I think this would appeal to anyone who likes fantasy novels, or anyone who likes historical fiction tales about Gods and how they were worshipped. As the book does contain human sacrifices, I don’t think this is suitable reading for youngsters. I also think that anyone not interested in reading the full series should give this a miss.
Thanks for your honest review. I am not partial to this type of fantasy, and I am always put off by the weird names: Rashem Hal'Hotem, Gogepe.

But the fact that it is full of grammatical errors and doesn't' have an ending, put this on my "No" list.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a fantasy /historical fiction story that revovles around three messengers sent by the gods to declare a threat. The plot was thrilling and i rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. The onlinebookclub review was written masterfully and the book is free on Amazon Kindle.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Thanks for the review. The plot sounds interesting. That's nice that the author adds maps to the book.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

Thanks for the great review. Reading about different religions is a touchy subject for me so I'll probably skip this one. I'm glad you liked it though, I hope they can get a chance to edit it again so it will be better for those who would enjoy it.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Even though I do like the idea of reading about different beliefs, looking at the maps, and reading the glossary, the plot itself doesn't interest me, so I'll pass on reading this, but thanks for the thorough review.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I am not sure a historical fiction book revolving around three Messengers is for me. I might skip this one. Thanks for the candid and insightful review.
cindyr2416
Favorite Book: Ironbark Hill
Currently Reading: Parkhurst tales
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindyr2416.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by cindyr2416 »

Sounds interesting I love these kind of books. The plot sounds like it would be a great adventure but it seems you had trouble reading a few parts. I’ll put on my list to read but with the grammatical errors and difficulty of some passages it’s not at the top.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

Orope is a historical fiction novel, and it tells the story of the three messengers to whom the Gods have given a message to warn their tribes.
These three messengers are on a mission to warn their people about a disaster they are going to face. They warn the leaders of the surrounding kingdoms to mend their ways and return to the old ways of worship.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

The first few pages of this were confusing to me as I tried to get a grip on what in the world each character’s name was and what was happening. I am glad you mentioned the graphic nature of the book because that solidified my decision not to read it, and if it is a series, I really have no interest in it. The first part moved very slow for me as well. Thank you for this insightful review. I am passing on this one.
Everything happens for a reason...
Mabel6
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mabel6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mabel6 »

I am not a fan of historical or fantasy fiction so I added to my not interested in reading shelf. Reading about three messengers and different religions is just not my cup of tea. Good job to author, seems like the reviewer enjoyed it and fans of this genre would too.
heather_l_s
Currently Reading: Warmage
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather-l-s.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by heather_l_s »

I'm not typically a fan of reading stories with this type of plotline, but I do enjoy a good historical fiction so I'm planning to try this out. It sounds like it's an interesting story, and I might not have decided to read it without this review! I'm always on the lookout for a good new series though so I'll give this one a shot. Thank you!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”