Official Review: Wilder by Lena North

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Official Review: Wilder by Lena North

Post by Nanig83006 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wilder" by Lena North.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Wilder’s grandfather, Willy, dies along with her mother in a tragic accident, she isn’t sure she’ll ever feel safe again. Grandpa Willy leaves one last gift to her in his will – the knowledge that the man she believes is her father actually isn’t.

Upon meeting her real dad, Hawker, Wilder’s life takes an unexpected turn. She learns about a heritage she never thought possible. Gaining friends and family she didn’t know she had, past secrets are uncovered along the way. It isn’t long before Wilder realizes she must fight to keep her newly found loved ones and world safe from destruction.

North’s writing style was enjoyable, though it went back and forth between past tense and present in some places. Over all, the narrative was mostly clear, but there were times I felt North’s character over explained in the first couple of chapters. Wilder often reiterated what she already established, sometimes in the same paragraph. The novel, Wilder, could have used another proof read. There was an occasional missing word in a couple sentences, but the story was fast paced so I almost missed the mistake myself.

Young Adult is one of my top favorite genres and I was stuck between reading this title and another. Even with its small hiccups, I’m so glad I picked Wilder. The plot is great. It’s a unique twist of fantasy, but doesn't overindulge in it. Without giving anything away, I loved how North’s storytelling teetered on realism and paranormal. Wilder reads mostly as a contemporary, with enough mystery surrounding the folks of Norton that allows the reader to know there’s more going on than mere family drama.

North introduces a lot of interesting characters as Wilder travels with her best friend, Mickey, to Norton to catch a glimpse of her “dead beat” dad. Upon arriving, she learns he’s anything but. She meets a close knit group of family and friends, realizing she has more relatives than she ever knew. Of the people she meets is Mac. She immediately finds him handsome, but catches on he’s aware of how much of a looker he is. They’re interactions from there forward are quite enjoyable.

Wilder is a well-developed character. She’s strong, independent, and takes no sh*t. The only time she backs down is when she doesn’t want to argue in circles with Hawker, Mickey, or Mac. She’s smart, friendly, and sporty, but has occasional burst where she’d simply like to do “girly” things. Her behavior is something to admire when she interacts with the people of Norton. When it comes to Mac, she doesn’t forget who she is or allow him to whisk her off her feet. The same for Mickey or Hawker. They’re always a team, no matter how much they disagree. On many occasions, Wilder successfully tackles dangerous situations on her own.

Wilder is a spin off to The Dreughan series. What makes it so amazing is that it can be read without having to read the prior series. There were some scenes that referred to the The Dreughan series, but the overall story of Wilder doesn’t rely on it to be read or enjoyed. North establishes a great ensemble of characters with a plot full of mystery, love, drama, and deceit. By the end, I felt connected to the people of Norton and their Birds.

I rate the first installment of the Birds of a Feather series 4 out of 4 stars. While I know there were a few bumps with the writing, it was nothing painful or discouraging. Both the characters and plot were refreshing and went deeper than most young adult novels I've ever read before. North’s story, characters, and twist of fantasy left me interested in reading the rest of the Birds of a Feather series and picking up The Dreughan series to learn more about the world Wilder is a part of.

Wilder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nanig83006's review? Post a comment saying so!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This book is sounds fantastic to read with all its refreshing thrills and twists. The character Wilder is definitely one to emulate except for her argumentative nature. Great review.
bnoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnoy.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by bnoy »

I've never heard of The Dreughan series (sorry!) however, if I had seen that this story was a spin off I probably wouldn't have read it before reading the others. Your review has completely changed that, (along with the cool cover art of the book). Your review explores the series in depth and your rating of 4 out of 4 despite the errors you have mentioned really makes me want to read this book!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Secrets revealed, well-developed characters, and plot twists make this sound like a great book to read! Thanks for an informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Great review! Not the sort of genre I would usually read, but the fantasy/supernatural element lends some extra interest for me. Sounds like North developed the characters and the story well.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

What a book for this genre of Young Adult. It is great to learn that no matter how much Wilder argued with Mickey and Mac, they remained friends. This is worth learning and emulating. Thanks for the review. You did it well.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

After reading your review. I know I would like to read this book. I hope to read more about "Wilder" meeting with her dad and other family members. That part in the story shares a sense of neglectful parents, not letting their children know of all of their relatives or family tree. Your review was great it has acknowledge the epic of the story.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I'm not usually a fan of stories that are centered around family, but you made this book sound really really good; I especially like that the female lead is a strong and courageous woman. I'll try it out when I can.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This certainly sounds as though it stands out from other books in the same genre - I'm not sure I'm ever going to read it, but I enjoyed your review.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:

Post by Nanig83006 »

crediblereading2 wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 22:11 This book is sounds fantastic to read with all its refreshing thrills and twists. The character Wilder is definitely one to emulate except for her argumentative nature. Great review.
Thanks! Wilder truly was the type of "kick-ass" female characters women and girls hope to read. She has no problem with being feminine when she feels like it and takes control without having to have be a tomboy. Wilder just is who she is, which made this quite enjoyable.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:

Post by Nanig83006 »

stacie k wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 23:11 Secrets revealed, well-developed characters, and plot twists make this sound like a great book to read! Thanks for an informative review!
Thanks for the comment!
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:

Post by Nanig83006 »

joshfee77 wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 01:49 Great review! Not the sort of genre I would usually read, but the fantasy/supernatural element lends some extra interest for me. Sounds like North developed the characters and the story well.
Thank you! I believe she did. The entire time I read, I felt there was more going on around Wilder than she was noticing. It was really well done because it wasn't obvious, but it did make me stop to think and wonder.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:

Post by Nanig83006 »

Kibetious wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 02:07 What a book for this genre of Young Adult. It is great to learn that no matter how much Wilder argued with Mickey and Mac, they remained friends. This is worth learning and emulating. Thanks for the review. You did it well.
Thank you! I agree, it was definitely inspiring. They were all super stubborn with each other, but they didn't seem to argue just to be mean to one another. It was more to argue to come to a solution. It felt healthy and is something I'd prefer future generations to read and learn.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:

Post by Nanig83006 »

elizab8 wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 02:31 After reading your review. I know I would like to read this book. I hope to read more about "Wilder" meeting with her dad and other family members. That part in the story shares a sense of neglectful parents, not letting their children know of all of their relatives or family tree. Your review was great it has acknowledge the epic of the story.
Thanks! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:

Post by Nanig83006 »

MsTri wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 08:52 I'm not usually a fan of stories that are centered around family, but you made this book sound really really good; I especially like that the female lead is a strong and courageous woman. I'll try it out when I can.
Thanks! I hope you do enjoy it. Wilder was a lot of fun to read. As I mentioned, she's the type of female lead women and girls hope to read about. Fingers crossed I'll come across more novels like this one.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”