Official Review: The Light Was Always Here

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: The Light Was Always Here

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Light Was Always Here" by Michelle Goettemoeller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Michelle Goettemoeller’s book, The Light Was Always Here, is an autobiographical, memoir-style account of her journey on Spain’s Camino de Santiago, and of the personal journey that followed her return. After quitting her job as a clinic nurse, having felt stagnant and boxed in by the daily realities of life, Michelle embarks on a quest to connect with her faith and spirituality. She receives a particularly poignant spiritual reading from the daughter of a friend, and challenges herself to prepare for the walk of a lifetime - a more-than-500-mile-long trek along the historical pilgrim trail. At age 53 she sets off on the journey alone, with nothing more than the pack on her back and the iPhone in her pocket.

As Michelle embarks on the Camino, she seeks to challenge her old patterns, assumptions, and bad habits. Choosing to walk over a dozen miles each day - sometimes as much as 20 miles or more - Michelle is forced almost immediately to confront the realities of physical discomfort, in the form of blisters and aching joints. However, being of a tough mental disposition, Michelle pushes through the pain, using her nursing expertise to tend to her personal injuries along the way. The narrative includes humorous anecdotes about the day-to-day considerations of relieving oneself outdoors, as well as slightly more stomach-turning experiences, like needing to remove her own toenails to relieve pressure and pain in her swollen and puffy feet.

Her account also details each night that she spent in the albergues, the pilgrim hostels dotting the path of the Camino. In fact, the majority of the journaling she did along the way seemed to be focused on these nightly respites. Michelle shares the experiences she has with other travelers who stay in these hostels, including friends she makes along the way, as well as some of the less pleasant interactions. Unfortunately, these sections tended to be somewhat repetitive, as there is only so much you can say about sharing a room full of bunk beds for a night with a group of strangers. Much of her inner work comes from apprehending her assumptions and judgements about people who choose to travel the Camino differently than she does. Upon her return to the United States, Michelle aims to take the personal lessons and renewed faith she discovered along the Camino and apply them to her relationships, perhaps healing some of the wounds that have festered within her family for decades.

Although I found the author’s journey both interesting and relatable, I had a number of issues with the way the narrative was structured. Superficially, I noticed several dozen grammatical errors throughout, though they were generally of a minor nature (things like misplaced commas) and did not greatly impact the message. The main aspect of the writing style that rubbed me the wrong way was the author’s tendency to speak about herself in the passive voice. For example, she would say something like “the audiobook was listened to” when she meant “I listened to the audiobook.” If this had occurred once or twice, I would have probably not even noticed, but this was prevalent throughout, and made for an awkward reading experience. It was almost as if the author was attempting to distance herself from the truth in what she was writing.

Nonetheless, her story was quaint and amusing, despite being a bit repetitive at times. I do wish she had shared more of her personal history. There were some brief stories included about traumatic events in her youth, but the author specifically mentioned having cut out a large portion of this piece of the account, as she did not want to dwell in the negativity of the past. However, her hints at those stories only served to pique my curiosity, and it was disappointing when the two curiosity was not fully satisfied. I struggled between rating this book with 2 or 3 stars, but finally decided on 3 out of 4 stars. My primary reason, despite the number of faults I found, is that by the end of the narrative I came to understand and appreciate Michelle as a person, which in my opinion is the mark of a successful memoir. I came to see each imperfection in the book as part of the larger whole of her nuanced self; her writing style (errors and all) and her incomplete retelling of her family history became just part of her quirks. She wrote this book the way she intended to write it, and her honesty and pretense-free down-to-earth personality remain consistent features of her experience. This may not be the book for those who are interested in a technical and detailed account of the logistics of hiking the Camino. Readers who enjoy accounts of personal growth, perseverance, rebirth, and faith-building, however, are likely to find quite a few gems within these pages.

The Light Was Always Here
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! A 500 mile journey! I can't even imagine how she did that and what she learned. It sounds extremely interesting. Thanks for sharing with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I cringed hard at the thought of a toenail removing experience and I haven't even read the book. :)
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Hmm, this sounds quite similar to Wild where a woman walks the Pacific Coast Trail. I think I would personally enjoy this one more due to the cultural background that's sure to be involved. Thanks for the review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Memoirs aren't usually my favorite, but your enjoyment of this one makes me think twice about reading it. I think it was very generous of you to consider the errors and odd stylization as part of the experience of getting to know the author. I think they would have annoyed me more than endeared me to her :)
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

Without having read the book, your comment on her mentioning past trauma but then not going into it is such a tease! And the repetition is unfortunate, I wonder why she didn't cut them out and replace them with a throwaway line for an explanation.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

This seems like a unique story about someone with a great deal of mental fortitude! I can't imagine imposing that kind of journey upon myself.
Mansfield + 1950
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mansfield + 1950 »

Kept me hanging on and pushing on.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”