Featured Review: Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
enojojoseph
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enojojoseph.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Re: Featured Review: Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer

Post by enojojoseph »

Great review,I believe E.R Barr,did a good job,Roan is definitely a must read.
reader44ever
Currently Reading: Locke & Key
Bookshelf Size: 1052
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader44ever.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by reader44ever »

I absolutely love Urban Fantasy books, and this sounds like a book that I must read!

Thank you for the review!
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Wow must have been a tad bit confusing for Conor upon discovering the junction of Christian, Celtic, and Native American customs in his new abode and possibly felt pressured to accept his place as a warrior of Light. I actually admire Urban Fantasy. Great review!
4cynthia72
Currently Reading: Word collector
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by 4cynthia72 »

From the review it sounds like it's an interesting book worth reading, I will read this book. Thanks for the review.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for your review. After reading your review and the sample I totally agree about the fast pace of the book which keeps you engrossed in it. Looking forward to reading more about Conor and Tinker's Grove. Will be downloading the book
Bnall
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Bnall »

At first, I thought it’s just another urban fantasy, but after reading the detailed review a couple of times, I’m going to give this book a try! It doesn’t sound like the typical fantasy and I might be able to relate to Comor. Of course, this sounds like the type of book my students would enjoy so I will be adding it to the classroom library if appropriate. Thanks again for the deep review!!
4cynthia72
Currently Reading: Word collector
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by 4cynthia72 »

From the review the book seems to be an interesting one, I would like to know the boy's decision from the dilemma between making his own way or evolving into a destiny that was spoken over him a thousand years ago. Thanks for the review.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

I do not normally read fantasy novels, however, you really make this book sound like there are elements that I possibly would like. Thanks for the great review.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Glad you enjoyed the book. Barr does have a rich writing style - I liked how he made the story flow together. I will not be reading due to my lack of interest in the plot.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I’m really torn on this one because it sounds really good but I don’t like the Christian religion bit. I generally avoid books with that sort of theme but this one might be worth reading. Thanks for writing a review!
harrymadede
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters

Post by harrymadede »

a mystery and fantasy novel of a young man roan who learns about his heritage and the dark secrets. so interesting can wait to grab a copy and find out what what he will become how he will fight fight this darkness i give it a 4 star
harrymadede
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters

Post by harrymadede »

a mystery and fantasy novel of a young boy roan who learns about his heritage and the dark secrets so interesting cant wait to grab one find out what he will eventually turn up to be and how he will deal with the darkness
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Excellent review! After reading the first few chapters of the book, I can honestly say you did not exaggerate at all in your appraisal. I do think the author has not only the talent but also the patience to bring fantasy to life. Conor's self discovery is gradually portrayed so it looks very realistic. Besides, Tinker's Grove seems to have all it takes to become a land of legends and myths.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
SaffraWhishart
Currently Reading: The Candle Room
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saffrawhishart.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by SaffraWhishart »

Wow, Barr is a debut author?! Like you, I found the author's style occasionally awkward, and I also noticed a few simple punctuation mistakes in the first few chapters. But I'm very impressed now that I know this is a first book!

I thought it started off a little slow, but it's been catching my attention as I go. The author manages to be true to the mythological figures while making them stand out uniquely as his/her characters. Due to this and your great review (wonderful teasers, no spoilers), I'm adding this to my "To Read" list.

If you're a fan of urban fantasy, you should definitely check out Charles de Lint. He paved the way for most of the urban fantasy writers we know now.
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

A mystery and fantasy novel about a young man who learns about his mysterious Celtic ancestry and the dark secrets. Dark Fantasy lovers will enjoy this book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”