Featured Review: Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmpressAelin
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empressaelin.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Re: Featured Review: Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer

Post by EmpressAelin »

EmpressAelin wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 09:55 I don't know if I'm allowed to ask or not but, I'm currently reading Roan in order to do a free review and I am wondering if you maybe noticed the error in "its" vs "it's" that I keep seeing. It may just be the electronic version I have but if you noticed it too it would be nice to know it's not just me.
Never mind, I had my English teacher explain the possessive it rules to me. Your review is really good and I'm enjoying Roan so far.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I'm a big fan of fantasy, and love it when the world and characters are both well-developed. I look forward to reading this!
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

jacnthabox wrote: 12 Sep 2016, 11:16 [Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer" by E. R. Barr.]

A character is but a useless plot element if the reader feels no emotion toward it.
I never really considered it this way but I definitely agree! I was hesitant on making this the next book I review after the review I am currently working on, but because of this review I am glad I chose to read this next. Looking forward to it now actually with all that your precise and smooth review. Thank you!!!
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Although I struggled in reading the book myself, I find it great that you enjoyed it so much! I really like the story, however I found myself struggling to believe the character interactions. This is obviously a personal preference though, and it is so interesting to read other people's takes on books.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

A coming of age tale with an interesting premise, well-built characters and an intriguing plot make this read worthwhile. Thanks for the enlightening review.
Mabel6
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mabel6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mabel6 »

Not a fan of urban fantasy so I added to my not interested in reading shelf. A lot of elements make this story intriguing though, such as Conor Archer being a likable main character and the author's work on his character development, the battle between good vs. evil, and the mythical creatures.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Honestly, I usually don't go for fantasy books.
But let's consider its really rare to read a review that's so enthusiastic and full of praises.
You made such a compelling case for the novel that I can't help but feel enthusiastic myself. I wonder how such different folklores are mixed and I agree with you, that character development is very important and can't be overlooked, it doesn't matter if the fantasy world is amazing. You won't love a novel if you don't really feel the main character.
It honestly makes me smile when people enjoy reading a book so much, thanks!
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This sounds like an interesting coming-of-age fantasy story. I love that the author sort of brings in different religious, cultural elements and that the novel is original and unique! Congrats on the book of the day! Great review.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 553
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

The legendary character of this story is Conor Archer, and he is a part of the town's mythology. Conor has two options either to become a warrior of light or a harbinger of darkness. It seems to be a mysterious story with legendary characters.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

This sounds like a great book. You do a splendid job of describing it. I’m not sure I’ve ever read an urban fantasy as you call it. But from your description, it does sound like an entertaining read. Connor sounds like an interesting character to follow. I love stories with strong character development. I’ll just have to check it out.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I am not a fan of any of these genres: Urban Fantasy, Epic Fantasy, or Dark Fantasy. Additionally a book cover that seems to celebrate the evil over the good serves as a further turn off for me.
Shanna29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanna29.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B01DZJFWNC

Post by Shanna29 »

Wow! I loved the review. Now I m intrigued to read the book. Can't wait to find out more.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

Urban fantasy? This looks completely different, unique, and fun! I look forward to reading it.
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

I love a good story that lets you get engrossed in the lives of the characters and feel a bond. Sounds like this may be one of those! Thanks for the review!
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
CarmynnKayleen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CarmynnKayleen »

From the start of this book, I was more distracted by some of the language choices and cliches than I was drawn into the world and the characters. From your review, it seems that with further reading, I will be able to connect Conor more. No matter the genre, I think that connecting to characters is the most important (or at least my favorite) part of a piece of writing, and so look forward to reading more. I like how your review details the strengths of this book in relation to its genre utilizing other important literary factors. Great work!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”