Review of Magician and Fool

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of Magician and Fool

Post by Jane Ogwang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Magician and Fool" by Susan Wands.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

There is always more to art than meets the eye. I have always been fascinated by the ancient wisdom that lies beyond the images and symbols that tarot cards hold. This book, Magician and Fool, delves into the realm where art and spiritualism converge. Susan Wands invites us to explore the mysteries and depths of the tarot world using the story of a legend in that space.

Pamela Colman Smith had a unique artistry talent. She had a natural ability to channel things. She says her drawings presented themselves to her. She could hear objects sing, taste colors and have her illustrations make colors. She found herself as a member of a group in London called the Lyceum Theatre Group, where Miss Terry and Henry Irving took her under their wings. They nurtured her gifts and talents as they traveled throughout the country. Elsewhere, a group of scientists led by Dr. Wescott comes together to research the workings of magic. They dub their group the Golden Dawn. They later team up with Pamela, charging her to illustrate tarot cards for them. She seemed to have been preparing for this role for her whole life. There are obviously challenges to the task, from envy from other team members and magicians to the execution of the job. What truths and mysteries will Pamela's team uncover? Will they overcome the hurdles on the way? Well, pick this book and get to experience all the action and get the answers.

I had a great time reading this book. The topic was unique and intriguing, and the author did justice to it. Susan understood the subject and did well to narrate and explain its aspects to us. The author also did well to jell the nested stories in the book flawlessly. Narrating Aleister's, Pamela's, and Dr. Wescott's stories in parallel was difficult, and the author did well. The book was slow-paced at the start but picked up quickly and was action-packed after. I enjoyed the author's handling and intertwining of emotions into the stories. Envy, anger, and lust were expertly woven into magic and card-reading stories.

Susan's storytelling prowess was quite commendable. Her plot and character development skills were also excellent. Pamela's character was my favorite. Her creativity, artistry, knowledge, and resilience were quite inspiring. Her reaction to the encounter with Aleister showed great stoicism. I also enjoyed the author's writing style. It was simple and quite engaging. The conversations in the book also made it quite accessible. The organization and length of the book were also perfect. I noticed no flaws in this book.

I, therefore, award it a perfect rating of five out of five stars. It was well--written, insightful, and rich in history. It was also edited exceptionally well, as I noticed no errors. If you are interested in a book rich in history, art, and mystical unknowns, this book is for you.

Magician and Fool
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ivana_5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivana_5 »

Pamela is talent artist an she make designs for tarot card. This is a story of talent, intelligence and girlu why have a mistic soul. She treveling and met two frend. When she treveling with two frens she met person why needed design for a tarot card. They story is description spiritual life and reality. Tarot card telling destiny, but people lives yours destiny how they imagine.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Pamela has a real gift for reading tarot and her story seems intriguing thinking of the possible twist that can happen in a story about mystical unknowns. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

NetMassimo wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 14:55 Pamela has a real gift for reading tarot and her story seems intriguing thinking of the possible twist that can happen in a story about mystical unknowns. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you for the kind words Net, Pamela's story is definitely one for the books.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:

Post by Jane Ogwang »

Ivana_5 wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 11:21 Pamela is talent artist an she make designs for tarot card. This is a story of talent, intelligence and girlu why have a mistic soul. She treveling and met two frend. When she treveling with two frens she met person why needed design for a tarot card. They story is description spiritual life and reality. Tarot card telling destiny, but people lives yours destiny how they imagine.
Thank you for passing by Ivana.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”