Review of Hero

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Review of Hero

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hero" by Danielle Bouthillier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

We are all aware of superheroes who rescue people and save lives. However, have you ever heard of a superhero who needs to be saved himself? Hero by Danielle Bouthillier is the story of one such extraordinary superhero.

Orphaned at a young age with no memories of her past, Hero is adopted by a neurosurgeon named Joe Anderson. Though doted upon by her daddy, she is abused by her overtly religious adoptive mother who is wary of her unnatural abilities. When a sudden turn of events separates her from her beloved father, Hero is stuck with her tyrannical mother. To make matters worse, Kingston, the city's kingpin, has a warrant out against the superhero. One thing leads to another, and Hero finds herself homeless, playing her guitar to make a living. Fate leads Johnny, Kingston's estranged son, to her. Johnny, who was saved by Hero at one point, finds out a dark secret about the superhero.

Will Johnny turn in Hero to his father? What is Hero's secret? Why is she out on the roads? Most importantly, will she ever be rescued and find her happily ever after?

Hero is Danielle Bouthillier's debut novel. Bouthillier's unconventional superhero story is super engrossing. She brings to us a book full of action, drama, and romance. The fast-paced action sequences and the intricately crafted emotional scenes make it a scintillating read.

Danielle Natalie Bouthillier weaves a tale that enmeshes us in the life of a heroic woman with dangerously low self-esteem. I love how Bouthillier addresses the issue of mental health in her book. Hero is a deaf woman who saves the world time and again with her special abilities. Yet, she always finds herself betrayed by the people closest to her. Her father's abandonment and her mother's systematic brainwashing have left her vulnerable. Despite her supernatural abilities and kind heart, she is ashamed of herself. Leo does a heroic job of breaking her barriers. It is not easy as Hero is more than a handful with all her baggage. Yet, he perseveres. Leo proves that love, compassion, and patience are all that are needed to uplift a person.

I really liked Hero's brother, James. However, his actions toward the end make little sense, especially as his love for his sister is evident throughout the book. Also, Joe Anderson appears to be a great father. His abandonment of his beloved daughter does not make much sense to me. It would have been great if Bouthillier fleshed out James' and Joe's storylines a little bit more. Johnny is a great psychologist who truly tries his best to be there for Hero. I would have loved it if we got to know more about his relationship with his father. Speaking of his father, Mr. Kingston is a typical villain. A little more depth to his character would have been appreciated.

Apart from the cons already discussed and a couple of errors, I did not find any shortcomings in this book. Hence, I rate Danielle Bouthillier's Hero 4 out of 5 stars.

I highly recommend Hero to fans of action-packed novels. People who enjoy a superhero story with a twist will love this novel.

Hero
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Brian Ruguru
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Post by Brian Ruguru »

What will Hero's and Johnny's fate be? I hope the latter knows better than to snitch. Great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I like stories of superheroes but I'm less inclined when they have personal problems, unless they're the protagonists of the TV show The Boys. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kajori Sheryl Paul

NicRoy wrote: 25 May 2023, 05:22 What will Hero's and Johnny's fate be? I hope the latter knows better than to snitch. Great review!
Well, you will be surprised.

Thank you so much for commenting!
Kajori Sheryl Paul

NetMassimo wrote: 25 May 2023, 15:17 I like stories of superheroes but I'm less inclined when they have personal problems, unless they're the protagonists of the TV show The Boys. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
I like The Boys too!

Thank you so much for commenting!
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

We are all aware of superheroes who rescue people and save lives. However, have you ever heard of a superhero who needs to be saved himself?
The notion that a hero must be saved is absurd unless the definition of hero needs to be altered.
kazali Rashid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by kazali Rashid »

A super hero who needs to be rescued!!! This rather a twist of fate then. Even though i don't usually like female protagonist as they exist alot of emotional occureses in their stories but hey this a must read as how can hero who is supposed to save people be the one being saved. Hahahaha 🤣🤣 am looking forward to this.
Kebun Bunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: The Successful Business Startup Action Guide by Husam S. AlSaleh

Post by Kebun Bunga »

The review of "Hero" by Danielle Bouthillier provides an insightful overview of the novel's plot and characters. The reviewer emphasizes the unique concept of a superhero who needs to be saved, and the intriguing story that unfolds as Hero navigates through challenging circumstances. The author's ability to blend action, drama, and romance is praised, along with the fast-paced action sequences and emotionally charged scenes. The reviewer appreciates how the book addresses mental health and explores Hero's vulnerability despite her extraordinary abilities. The character Leo is commended for his role in breaking down Hero's barriers through love, compassion, and patience. While some characters' actions and storylines could have been further developed, the book is generally well-received. A rating of four out of five stars is given, with no significant shortcomings mentioned. The review concludes with a recommendation for fans of action-packed novels and those seeking a superhero story with a twist.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”