Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Re: Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis

Post by mariana90 »

Wow, I didn't even know that the chronological story order wasn't the publication order!

I read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe first because it was an assignment for school, but later I read them in chronological order. Definitely made more sense that way.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I might be the only one who really enjoyed reading the Magician’s Nephew. I didn’t read the Chronicles until I was older so it was my first CS Lewis book and Ioved it. From there I read them in order and finished with The Last Battle. I like things in story order so this worked out well for me.
Taylorhatter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylorhatter.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Taylorhatter »

The chronicles of narnia are my favorite series. I grew up on them, and still love them. The magicians nephew and the lion witch and the wardrobe are my two favorites. Cs Lewis did a really good job of making me feel like I was there in narnia.
Jade1692
Currently Reading: Healing Anger
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade1692.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jade1692 »

I picked up The Magician's Nephew as a separate book all on its own (I thought at first) when I was about 9. I loved it, I didn't think it was slow, I thought it was wonderful and full of magic in subtle places as well. I then read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, which was also delightful. When I was 17 I finally went through them in chronological order, though The Magician's Nephew remained my favourite throughout. I still hope to find special, charmed things when I go through old rings and antiques lol.
SuzanneM_81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzannem-81.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by SuzanneM_81 »

When I originally read the series, I was about 8 and they were numbered in the order they were published. So I had to read them in that order - though after a time or two through I was irritated that they were ordered incorrectly and fixed it in my head. When reading them to my own kids we have gone through them in the chronology of the story. I like it better that way, as it makes more sense and allows the whole story to flow a little better.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The first time I read them, I actually read The Lion, the Witch and the wardrobe first and then teh others but whenever I reread I go in chronological order. It's kind of fun to see how one thing leads into another.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Ben Moore
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-moore.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Ben Moore »

Magnify3 wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 15:17 I have not read all the books yet. I have read The Lion the witch and the wardrobe as well as Prince Caspian and The Silver Chair . I would like to read the rest of the series.
If you push on with the rest, I’d recommend reading from the beginning again to recap. Start with The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe. The Magicians’ Nephew should be read second to last before The Last Battle.

I know TMN is often labelled number 1 and people say the series ‘makes more sense’ if you read it first, but it actually just kills the mystery of the series if you read it first!
'All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling' - Oscar Wilde
'Am reading more Oscar Wilde. What a tiresome, affected sod' - Noël Coward
AdamRedWolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamredwolf.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by AdamRedWolf »

I preferred reading it in order of publication. The Magician's Nephew was more powerful and compelling to me after reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. If you don't know how important Aslan is (as seen in LWW), TMN just isn't as engaging.

As for A Horse and His Boy... take it or leave it for me. Least favorite of the series.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
- Bokonon (Kurt Vonnegut), Cat's Cradle
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

I didnt know about Narnia books at all I only saw movies. Now that I know about it I am reading it in chronological order.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

I think it all depends on the reader. For me, I think reading them chronologically in the order of publication works.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

I'm not sure of the exact order I read it but I'm pretty sure it was in order it was published. I've reread it many times since, so I think maybe I've read it in order of the story timeline.
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

I didn't know there was a different order to read them according to the date they were published. I've only read them chronologically but my problem is that my favorites are the ones in the middle so usually when I reread them I stop after The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader because I don't like the last two that much and I lose interest. I don't think I've read The Silver Chair or The Last Battle more than once.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I prefer reading in chronological time order!
cogitononsum
Currently Reading: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogitononsum.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by cogitononsum »

When I first read it, I hadn't realised that that wasn't the order of the books. So, while I still haven't read the other books(I'm planning on doing so but I keep delaying it...) this is easily one of my favourite books. It's so intriguing and so filled with adventure and magic and wonder, I love it. It's amazing.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I read it both ways, and I prefer to read it in the order of the timeline. It's easier to understand and also you can comprehend Narnia world completely. There are lots of pieces in the books that make more sense when you read them in order of the timeline.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”