Review of Haven

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-amarachi-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Operation November Blizzard by Stephen Snow (penname)

Review of Haven

Post by Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Haven" by Kate Roshon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Haven by Kate Roshon is a futuristic fiction set over five hundred years in the future. Touching on the issue of human's destruction of the planet, this book is a story of humanity's desperate efforts to survive on another planet. Kala, the main character, is a very smart young girl living with an emotionally distant brother. Living in a world where people became adults at sixteen, Kala goes through the Rite of Ascension. Kala breaks the existing record of the Rite of Ascension, and when the time comes to choose a job, she chooses one that her heart wants.

Equipped with a good job and stellar accommodation, Kala and Lindsey, her best friend, begin what unbeknownst to them becomes a journey that permanently changes their life and existence. Faced with the dire threat of human extinction, scientists and organizations alike struggle to save the inhabitants of the earth. Do they succeed? Or does humanity finally end its existence by its errors?

This book has some positive aspects. I like the smooth-flowing style of writing. I didn't struggle to complete this book. Also, I liked how the book has a clear warning to human beings. With signs of the depletion of the ozone layer and pollution, we live in a world where our actions are slowly destroying the planet. I liked that the book shows the possibility of a future for humans if we continue on that same path. I found minimal errors in this book; it was professionally edited.

I did, however, dislike a few things about this book. First, there was not a lot of information or backstory on how the planet got to where it was or much description anyway about the current state of the planet. I would think that there would have been a more detailed presentation of the world state at that time, how people had to interact with each other, and the differences from the world in the past. Instead, we just had meager references to overpopulation and the combination of states only in America. No references were also made to other states and continents. It sounded like it was only America existing in the world at that time. It would have been nice to have seen the inclusion of other continents. Also, the main character, Kala, seemed to perpetrate wrong ideas. While I agree that intelligence and brains are not monopolized by age, the main character's actions seem to supplant the place of experience in the workplace. Constantly being placed above her superiors at the workplace and being able to speak in a particular manner to the people already working at the same place not only makes her character look unrefined, but I fear it creates the wrong idea for a random teenager that may read this book.

I would give this book a rating of 3 out of 5 stars. Though I liked reading the book, the negative points made the book a bit uncomfortable. I would recommend this book to book lovers who enjoy fictional books, but I recommend it specially ro those that like futuristic fiction.

Haven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Cautionary tales are a classic beyond eras and genres and human destroying the Earth is the current elephant in the room. A shame about the flaws, as it has potential. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kebun Bunga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Kebun Bunga »

The review of "Haven" by Kate Roshon provides a clear overview of futuristic fiction and its main character, Kala. The reviewer highlights the book's exploration of humanity's destructive impact on the planet and the desperate efforts to survive on another world. The smooth-flowing writing style and the clear warning about the consequences of our actions on the environment are appreciated.

However, the reviewer also points out some shortcomings in the book. The lack of detailed information and backstory about the state of the planet and its societies, particularly beyond America, is noted. The absence of a broader worldview and the focus on only one continent limits the story's scope. Additionally, the portrayal of the main character, Kala, is criticized for perpetuating the idea that intelligence and youth alone can replace experience and respect in the workplace.

Despite these critiques, the reviewer acknowledges that the book was professionally edited and enjoyable. They give it a rating of three out of five stars, recommending it to lovers of fictional texts, particularly those interested in futuristic fiction.

The feedback provided in the review is balanced and fair, highlighting the book's positive aspects and the areas where it falls short. It offers valuable insights for potential readers and constructive criticism for the author.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”