Review of Writers of the Future Volume 39

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Review of Writers of the Future Volume 39

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Writers of the Future Volume 39" by L. Ron Hubbard, Kevin J. Anderson, S. M. Stirling, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, and 12 Award-Winning New .]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Writers of the Future is the most enduring and influential contest in the history of SF and fantasy, open to all amateur SF and fantasy writers across the world. The 39th year received more entries than ever before, and they came from nine countries. This contest has four quarterly contests, and you can enter any or all of the quarters. The contest is strictly for amateur writers and illustrators. Entries are completely free, and anyone around the world can enter. There are three winners in each quarter for writers and illustrators, which gives us twelve winners in each category by the end of the year. Although the exposure and help you receive in your career are already astronomical, there are also monetary winnings for each quarter.

This was the first book on the Writers of the Future that I read, and I didn’t know about this contest at all. I obviously immediately Googled it and was surprised by the vastness of this contest. The Writers of the Future also offers online workshops to help those who wish to improve their writing skills. Access to information is free and unlimited, and they even have podcasts where the writers and illustrators give advice and share their own hard-earned experiences. All judging is done by professional writers only. Your entry is free, and you retain all publication rights to your work. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain, so what are you waiting for?

I thoroughly enjoyed all of the short stories in this volume of Writers of the Future. There is literally something for everyone, and the illustrations linked with each short story were mesmerizing. They fit perfectly with their stories. My favorite story was definitely Moonlight and Funk by Marianne Xenos, and the illustration I enjoyed the most was by Sarah Morrison. I enjoyed that each story was thought-provoking in its own way, and some even had something to teach. My limit of 800 words is way too few to describe each story, even in a very brief way, but I wish I had the space for it, as each one definitely deserves extra praise! I enjoyed the short introductions to the writers and illustrators before their work, as they gave a personal touch to each story and artwork. There are also stories by known authors included, and the one that stood out to me the most was Prioritize to Increase Your Writing by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. This piece held the most incentive for me, and it gave me a lot of food for thought. She showed me the importance of prioritizing your life and having a set routine, no matter what is going on in your life.

I enjoyed absolutely everything about this book, and I only spotted one minor error. This is such an amazing platform to get your art out, and there is nothing stopping you from trying. This contest gives you all the tools you need to possibly succeed in a world where it is already difficult to get noticed and published. I loved reading about the contest, taking in the advice given, and reading the amazing stories and illustrations of the winners. I would definitely love to take part in this contest myself and see South Africa among the participating countries.

I would rate Writers of the Future Volume 39 by Authors: L. Ron Hubbard, Kevin J. Anderson, S. M. Stirling, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, and 12 Award-Winning New Authors a perfect 5 out of 5 stars. This volume definitely inspired me to try harder and to start writing my own story, which I have thought of doing so many times but just never got to do. I recommend this book to all aspiring authors and illustrators. If you have ever thought of writing something but just don’t know where to start, go through this volume to get all of the tools, inspiration, and motivation you would need.

Writers of the Future Volume 39
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Julez_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Julez_ »

Your description of the contest and its contributions to the world of amateur SF and fantasy writers is both informative and inspiring.

I particularly enjoyed your personal take on the short stories and illustrations, as well as the way you highlighted the standout works, like "Moonlight and Funk" by Marianne Xenos and the illustration by Sarah Morrison. Your review demonstrates a genuine connection with the material, which is something that any reader would find valuable.

Your mention of the piece by Kristine Kathryn Rusch was also interesting, as it points to the potential impact of such advice on aspiring authors. It's great to see how the book inspired you to consider writing your own story, and I'm sure many readers will be similarly motivated after reading your review.

Overall, your review provides a balanced and compelling look at "Writers of the Future Volume 39." Thank you for sharing your thoughts and encouraging others to explore this collection. I look forward to reading more of your reviews in the future.

Best regards :)
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

This is an interesting and well thought of book. This is also an interesting and well-written review. This is also a book that I would definitely love to try out. Thank you for this wonderful review.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Julez_ wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 14:35 Your description of the contest and its contributions to the world of amateur SF and fantasy writers is both informative and inspiring.

I particularly enjoyed your personal take on the short stories and illustrations, as well as the way you highlighted the standout works, like "Moonlight and Funk" by Marianne Xenos and the illustration by Sarah Morrison. Your review demonstrates a genuine connection with the material, which is something that any reader would find valuable.

Your mention of the piece by Kristine Kathryn Rusch was also interesting, as it points to the potential impact of such advice on aspiring authors. It's great to see how the book inspired you to consider writing your own story, and I'm sure many readers will be similarly motivated after reading your review.

Overall, your review provides a balanced and compelling look at "Writers of the Future Volume 39." Thank you for sharing your thoughts and encouraging others to explore this collection. I look forward to reading more of your reviews in the future.

Best regards :)
Wow, I am blasted away by your words! Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply and I hope my review will have the same effect on others that read my review as it had on you. The Writers of the Future is definitely there to help, support, motivate, and inspire. It has been a long time since I came across something so appealing and just extraordinary! Thank you for making my review extra special :D
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

NutellaBanana wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 08:54 This is an interesting and well thought of book. This is also an interesting and well-written review. This is also a book that I would definitely love to try out. Thank you for this wonderful review.
Thank you so much for your kind reply! The Writers of the Future has so much to give!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

There are important names in past and present science fiction in this books that can certainly inspire new generations of people trying to become writers and illustrators. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”