Review of Dragon Riders of The Realm - Book One

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review of Dragon Riders of The Realm - Book One

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dragon Riders of The Realm - Book One" by John Wheeler Tucker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dragon Riders of The Realm by John W. Tucker is an adventurous tale about three kids in an otherworldly realm. This book brims with adventures, fire-breathing dragons, and the never-ending fight between good and evil.

James Kinson is weary of the constant abuse he suffers from bullies at school because of his skin condition. To escape reality, he creates a game and immerses himself in the fantastical situations of the Realm of Lasting. He is joined by his best friend, Kevin, and later by his sister, Jessie. In this realm, they make friends with Warts, Ramrod, and Miranda, the fire-breathing dragons, and explore the great lands. With their liege of dragon friends and loyal servants of Ransom the great Prince, they fight against Resvil and his evil cohorts. They learned faith, trust, and the three truths that ruled the realm. The three truths state: be, be kind, and be strong. These truths guide them not only in battle but in their day-to-day lives. However, would James be willing to apply these rules when bullies vandalize his observatory? Would these sayings guide them to victory against Resvil? Read to find out more.

John W. Tucker writes with the basic emotions of a child in mind. He is very aware of his target audience and creates his characters with such relatable qualities that make the story difficult to put down. He deftly infuses beautiful life lessons for not only kids to learn but adults likewise. I learned a good ton of life-important precepts. My favorite quote was, 'It's better to face our problems than to run away from them.' I thought that was a very crucial point in life.

I like the simplicity of the book's vocabulary and the characters' fascinating relatability. I found Kevin's character pragmatic and honest. James couldn't shame him into pulling a brave face and lying about his emotions in scary situations. Kevin was very upfront and hilariously honest. I particularly liked his reply to James's question about his gifts and talents. To which he replied his interest in girls and science. It made me laugh hard.

However, there are certain things about this book I dislike. Firstly, this book started from a third-person narrative and suddenly shifted to a first-person narrative in chapter two, which was a bit disruptive to my reading experience. Secondly, a few timelines within the book did not sync and created confusion about the story's rhythm. Thirdly, this book contained several punctuation errors and disjointed sentences that distorted my understanding. For these reasons, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Despite these errors, I found this book terrifically interesting. The war scenes among the dragons were very enthralling. The author was so descriptive that reading the book was synonymous with watching the movie in my head. Therefore, I highly recommend this book to fans of fantasy and adventure.

Dragon Riders of The Realm - Book One
View: on Bookshelves
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

This book sounds like an amazing and fun read! The Review is very well written and honest in John's dislikes. It sounds like a book I would love, although the bad points mentioned, would also bother me quite a lot. I am putting this book in my shelves for a future read!
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

I love James Kinson and how he deals with bullying. Great book!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I might be too old to read a book with kids as its protagonists but this seems like an engaging fantasy adventure, so I hope the author does more editing to correct the problems you pointed out. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”