Review of Our Lady of the Artilects

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Review of Our Lady of the Artilects

Post by Shelby Ayres »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Our Lady of the Artilects" by Andrew Gillsmith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Thierry is an artilect. Artilects are advanced robots that are extremely expensive and even more expensive to maintain. Thierry’s owner was one of the wealthiest men in the Empire. One night, Thierry deactivated his geolocation transponder and was found the next morning in the Basilica of Our Lady of Nigeria. Father Serafian is soon called out to the house to try and figure out what is plaguing Thierry. Serafian is an exorcist and feels a presence openly declaring itself from Thierry. Kapulong receives a call from the owner of Thierry, who was worried about the safety of the synth. Much of the population has noetic implants in their bodies. A compromised implant could easily be confused with visions or possession. Serafian soon enlists the help of Namono, an Imperial Praetor. Can the three figure out what is happening? Are the artilects actually possessed by demons, or is there something more nefarious going on?

I thoroughly enjoyed the author’s diction and word choices throughout the book. With the number of details that went into this book, I was easily able to follow along and visualize. I also enjoyed the time the author spent building the characters’ personalities. The characters were perfectly developed. The scenes were also perfectly described and developed. The pace throughout the book was also something I enjoyed.

Unfortunately, there were a couple of formatting issues that distracted me from reading. Sometimes the text was a different color. Most of the time, the text was white, but sometimes it was blue or dark grey. The ever-changing text color sometimes made it difficult to read. I also felt that the book was rushed in some instances.

I am rating Our Lady of the Artilects by Andrew Gillsmith 3 out of 4 stars. Due to the formatting issues mentioned above, I was unable to give the full amount. Though if those issues were fixed, I would have no problem giving this book the full amount. This book was action-packed from start to finish. The storyline and plot were unique, which always kept me guessing and wanting to read. I had a hard time putting this book down. The book was exceptionally well-edited.

I would recommend this novel to individuals who enjoy sci-fi and technothrillers. This book is a perfect blend of science and religion. Roman Catholicism mixed with science fiction. The book, while it has many aspects of religion in it, I believe can be enjoyed by anyone.

Our Lady of the Artilects
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Even in stories robots or AI are not expected to have feelings resembling those of humans. I can see how Thierry’s owner would be worried about his robot being possessed as well as the amount of money to be lost.
Raju Tikale
Favorite Book: The Way of the Goddess
Currently Reading: Waterworks
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raju-tikale.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 22
2024 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Raju Tikale »

The concept of possessed robot opens up new expectation of story ,plot and character which are never experienced before.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

The premise of this has to be the most intriguing part as it usually is with sci-fi. It's always exciting seeing a story being told around AI and robots.
it is what it is ....
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

It is the first time I come across this interesting perspective; the idea of Artificial Intelligent beings(robots) becoming more independent and surpassing humans has been brought up many times in books and movies. However bringing together artificial intelligence with supernatural - in this case possession - and then adding spirituality and belief... yes it is pure fantasy. It would be interesting to find out how things will unfold for Thierry the artilect ;) Thanks for the great review.
Shelby Ayres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

readinginahammock wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 00:53 The premise of this has to be the most intriguing part as it usually is with sci-fi. It's always exciting seeing a story being told around AI and robots.
I thought it was an intriguing and unique approach to the over-used "robots take over" trope.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Will of the World
Bookshelf Size: 2290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

I already had my eyes on this, and your review made me even more interested. Especially the potential combination of science and magic is definitely vibing with me.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”