A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melanie_Page
Favorite Book: All of them
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melanie-page.html
Latest Review: "The Serpent Beguiled Eve" by Acacia Slaton

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Post by Melanie_Page »

Review: A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Stir up an enchanted book, a pair of star crossed lovers and a malevolent conspiracy in your cauldron and you have Deborah Harkness’ debut novel.

A Discovery of Witches was published to rave reviews in 2011. It is Professor Harkness first assay into fiction but she has since published the second and third volumes to complete the ‘All Souls Trilogy”. A chunky paperback of well over 600 pages, its subject matter places it firmly in the fantasy realm but the depth of research and quality of the writing make it a rewarding read for adult and intellectual readers.

Like both the Harry Potter and Twilight series, A Discovery of Witches takes place in the real world but one in which ‘otherworldly creatures’, in this case witches, vampires and daemons hide in plain sight. The story opens in the Bodleian Library where Diana Bishop, a descendant of Salem witches, finds a missing, magical book. Unfortunately her discovery draws the attention of other creatures who desperately want the book’s secrets and Bishop turns to scientist vampire Matthew Clairmont for aid. What follows is both an enchanting love story and a frantic race to find the information that so many creatures are willing to kill for.

There are several themes which inform much of the action. One is the tension between fear and desire, a desire to seize the moment coupled with a fear of failure. Another is the old adage, ‘to thine own self be true’. The characters struggle to achieve that against adversaries, against the rules of their world and sometimes against their own natures as they grow together in love and trust.

A Discovery of Witches is set in recognisable locations in modern Oxford, rural France and upstate New York. The locations are beautifully described and populated with an eclectic mix of characters who are all as well drawn as the protagonists. In fact some of the places are almost characters in their own right. The Bishop House in Madison in the latter half of the novel is a particular delight.

I was completely hooked by this novel. It is beautifully written with a poetic quality to much of the language. It has realistic characters and situations, despite the fact that it is about vampires and witches. It has humour and pathos. And it makes the reader think. After all, what does one serve when inviting a vampire for dinner?

The added bonus to the story is the depth of research. Many of the characters are created around historical figures and there, Professor Harkness shines. While reading I learned a great deal; about science, genetics, historical people and ideas. I spent a lot of time on google, oohing and aahing over links between the backstories of characters and their history in the real world. The novel does not exist in isolation, it is a gateway to a universe of intriguing possibilities.

I have no hesitation in giving this novel four stars out of four. It is well written, with fascinating characters and an intricately crafted plot. It certainly cast a spell on me.
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

This book sounds like it is right up my alley. Fantasy and Historical Fiction are two of my favorite genres. Combining them into one sounds brilliant to me!
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
CSM-writer
Currently Reading: The Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csm-writer.html
Reading Device: B00IZ1XVAC

Post by CSM-writer »

I found “A Discovery of Witches” to be not only better than I expected, but the writer wrote this in such a fashion that the historical nuances of this fictional story kept me captivated through its entire 579 pages of worth of text. Without giving much of the story away, a witch comes into contact with a vampire and their lives become a mingled mess—all because of historical, traditional, rules and laws. The characters leave you wondering, what is going to happen next and just when you think things are going to settle down, they take you on another tangent of obstacles. I can’t wait to read the second book in the trilogy, “Shadow of Night”.
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

The whole trilogy does not disappoint. This is actually on my "to re-read" list!
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

Thank you for such a good review. I may have passed this book up if you hadn't actually looked up the links and informed us of the scientific and historical aspects of it. Those I find fascinating. Good work!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

Diana Bishop was born a witch, but since the magic-related deaths of both of her parents when she was a child, she's refused to use her powers. Now she spends her days researching in Oxford's Bodleian Library. Every day is similar, until Diana unintentionally calls up a bewitched manuscript. She quickly uses it as she needs then send it back, not wanting to be more involved in magic than she has to be. Unfortunately, the appearance of this manuscript brings out every witch, daemon and vampire nearby. This manuscript has important information, and Diana's the only person to get her hands on it in centuries. Her life is in danger, but there is one unlikely person who will protect her: the ancient vampire Matthew Clairmont. Their surprising friendship begins to deepen into a romance, however, which puts Diana even more at risk, because of the ban on inter-species relationships. Diana has refused to use her magic since she was a child, but she may have to learn how to control it now, if she wants to survive.

This book was interesting in the sense that I don't know if I loved it or hated it. Certainly, there were aspects of both. The beginning was quite slow, but even when nothing interesting was happening, I still enjoyed reading it. I did listen to the audiobook version, so perhaps it was the narrator that made it more enticing for me. Either way, it did begin to get more interesting when Matthew was introduced and the story became slightly less about historical details and more about character relationships. I found almost every scene set in the library boring, so I was also happier when the settings were switched up. I had no difficulty continuing after the first bit, even if some sections later on irritated me. I was determined to push through to the end by that point.

One major thing that bothered me was the character of Diana Bishop. Matthew kept talking about how brave she was, and everyone else in their world seemed to agree. Personally, I didn't see it, and it annoyed me every time it was mentioned. The only 'brave' thing she may have done was enter into a relationship with a vampire, and she didn't even really think twice about that. Diana had good reason to be afraid of magic, yes, since it did lead to her parents' deaths, but she whined and complained an excessive amount when her family began to insist she learn some magic for her own safety. This, combined with some other scenes that I won't mention to avoid spoilers, started to convince me that she wasn't brave - just stupid. And since she was supposedly super-smart with a PhD and invaluable to Oxford, the contradiction bothered me too.

Another of my love/hate things in this book was Matthew and Diana's relationship. There were times when I thought that it was cute, or could be good for them, or good for their world, even, but then other times when I just cringed. Matthew was so overly protective, to the point of violence. Diana knew a lot about history, sure, but she didn't seem to have much real-world experience to attract Matthew, a thousand-year-old vampire, to her. Their relationship progressed much too quickly, based on the amount of time they actually spent with each other. A lot of people have compared their romance to Bella and Edward's in Twilight, and I have just one thing to say about that: no. Just no. Simply because both of the males are vampires, doesn't mean the relationships are similar in any other way.

One thing I did appreciate about this book was how well-built the settings and characters were. Aside from Diana, I thought the characters all had very good reasons for their actions and backstories to support them. The settings were also all very well-explained. There was a lot of historical detail, which I appreciate, because it helps to tie the world of the book to the world of us readers. There were very many characters, which could be expected from a book of this length. However, I found that they were all introduced in such a way to stamp them into my mind, since I found that I could easily remember just about every character when they were later mentioned.

Will I read this novel again? Probably not. But did I enjoy it the first time? Yes. There was enough good to balance out the parts that I didn't like, thankfully. I'd give this book a rating of three and a half stars, rounded to four. Even though there were quite a few aspects that bothered me, it was obvious that there had been a lot of work put into setting up the plot, and all the other details that I appreciated. I would recommend this story to readers who enjoy preternatural creatures, supernatural romances, and witchy magic.
Think, believe, manifest.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
GLUELINE
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glueline.html

Post by GLUELINE »

I love this book! My mom got me this for x-mas a few years ago. I love how the story is paced and the characters themselves. Diana is strong willed, independent and of course an incredibly powerful witch. Matthew the vampire is protective of the people he cares about sometimes to the extreme, which usually leads to interesting and sometimes funny situations. When I got this I couldn't put it down, it fact it was taken away from me once because I kept reading it after when I had to go to sleep.
Melanie_Page
Favorite Book: All of them
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melanie-page.html

Post by Melanie_Page »

Have you read the rest of the series, Glueline? My sister gave me 'Discovery of Witches' for my birthday and I read it back to back 4 times before I could put it down.
Amanda2121gr
Favorite Book: A Painted House
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Amanda2121gr »

I thought it was great it puts a twist in the traditional fiction of vampires and witches by crossing those boundaries that are forbidden in the world of creatures . All those characters spent into one on the edge of your seat nailbitting suspense I recommend this to everyone
LarissaRunamuck
Favorite Book: A Wizard of Earthsea
Currently Reading: Kicking & Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larissarunamuck.html
Latest Review: Darkness in Malaga by Paul S Bradley

Post by LarissaRunamuck »

<r>It alludes to <I><s></s>Twilight<e></e></I> by Stephanie Meyer in a lot of ways, which somewhat disappointed me. I also wished it had incorporated all three fantasy species equally. The story focuses on witches and vampires but I was more interested in the daemons, which were written to be unique and refreshingly different than the other fantasy species one usually reads about.</r>
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I remember when this book was released but I haven't thought about it in years... likely because I stopped working in retail shortly after Borders closed.

I've always heard good things about this book and I appreciate well-researched history.

Thank you for bringing this book back to the front of my mind! I'm going to seek it out now!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

After watching the TV series, I'm quite eager to give this book a read. From what I've heard, it sounds very promising!
jkreviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkreviewer.html
Latest Review: Meditation for Beginners in Six world Religions by Gabriel J. Gomes

Post by jkreviewer »

Who has recently gotten into this book series? Deborah Harkness is working on new books to add to the All Souls World!

Have you guys seen the show that came out last year? Season 2 has been filmed and is due out hopefully this fall!

This is one of my favorite series of all time. I highly recommend it. Every person I have lent my copies to has ended up purchasing them for themselves later!
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

I've watched the series starring Matthew Goode and Teresa Palmer, and the books are in my Wishlist. There are so many details I'm still unclear about, so I hope the book goes a long way in erasing that confusion. Thanks for the review!
jkreviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkreviewer.html
Latest Review: Meditation for Beginners in Six world Religions by Gabriel J. Gomes

Post by jkreviewer »

Barbara Larkin wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 05:37 I've watched the series starring Matthew Goode and Teresa Palmer, and the books are in my Wishlist. There are so many details I'm still unclear about, so I hope the book goes a long way in erasing that confusion. Thanks for the review!
The books are much more in depth. Be prepared for some changes from the series--they differences in the show were made with the author's approval, but to provide a clearer storyline for those who won't read the books and therefore know the additional details of the story. I hope you enjoy them!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”