Review of Pixie Van Dimple and the Wrong Kind of Plastic

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Review of Pixie Van Dimple and the Wrong Kind of Plastic

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pixie Van Dimple and the Wrong Kind of Plastic" by Lynn Mcallister.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Along with her family, Pixie Van Dimple heads out to the beach for a fun day out. Their day was going well until Pixie and her sister decided to sneak away from their parents and go buy some sweets. Once they had finished eating, they discarded their plastic bag, full of rubbish, into the sea. It was only a matter of time before Pixie and her sister found out the consequence of their action. Read Pixie Van Dimple and the Wrong Kind of Plastic by Lynn McAllister to find out what happens next.

The bright colours and beautiful illustration on the front cover are what prompted me to read this book in the first place. The illustration beautifully captures the context of the story. I love the bold colours used throughout the book because it grabs your attention and makes you want to keep reading. As this book is targeted toward children, it’s important that the book looks appealing to them. I think McAllister has done a great job at doing just that.

The story itself is written in rhyme, which is a nice touch, as it is pleasing to read out loud. The book teaches readers a very important lesson about the consequences of throwing plastic into the sea. I think it’s a great idea to make children aware of this at an early age.

Whilst I think the book is great, there were some things that I disliked about the book. Firstly, I think the font used is beautiful, but it is very difficult to read. I can imagine that children will find it hard to read the text. To solve this problem, a simple, generic font would have been perfect. Secondly, the text kept changing from first-person to third-person a few times, which made me confused. Personally, I felt like the story was a bit all over the place because it was moving at a rapid speed. I think if the story was slowed down a little bit it would flow more smoothly.

Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the points I mentioned above. I didn’t find any mistakes as I was reading, so it is exceptionally edited. I highly recommend this book to children between the ages of 7-11. If you’re a teacher, this would be the perfect book to read in the classroom to teach kids the importance of keeping the environment clean.

Pixie Van Dimple and the Wrong Kind of Plastic
View: on Bookshelves
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

I'm curious to know what happened in the story.
A good story for kids. I also like the cover page of the book as it seems very inviting.
Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

In a world that's literally becoming filled up with garbage, it's crucial for new generations to learn the importance of keeping the environment clean, so this book seems very useful to children to learn an important lesson reading a book written in a fairy-tale style. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”