Review of Shadow: The Moonracer Chronicles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Shadow: The Moonracer Chronicles

Post by Amy Luman »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadow: The Moonracer Chronicles" by T. August Green.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are a lot of things that are different in 2386. One of the biggest is that there are six worlds, not just Earth. Thanks to "terraforming," many planets as well as their moons are habitable.

Terry "Tug" Glenman was a real racer. Years before, he had been a driver on Earth. When he was, he got to spend lots of time with his girlfriend of ten years, Kelly Armstrong, between races. Now he was crew chief for Jonny "Shadow" Clark on his moonracer team. They mostly competed on Terra Luna (the moon) and Mars. That left little time for Tug and Kelly to even be on the same planet. When she was just waking up, he was still asleep.

Shadow and Tug first met at the Anza-Borrego Sprint. Tug was there to race, but also to show off the race car he built called the “Glenman Eagle”. If he could get an established race team to use his car on the Planet Circuit, his business building race cars would boom. When he won the race, beating Shadow, he was given the opportunity to build all the new cars for Shadow's new race team.

The descriptions of the race car, the environment, the climate, etc. made me feel as if I was truly experiencing them. Even the emotions of the characters were well-portrayed. The first racing scene with Shadow was very exciting. In fact, it was so suspenseful that I found myself shedding tears by the end. I also liked that the different scenes within each chapter were denoted by three small asterisks. These let me know when to prepare for a change.

I've never lost anyone close to me, but Sara's reaction seemed extreme. Maybe I'll be the same, though. It's hard to know how you'll react until the same thing happens to you. There were a lot of formatting errors in the copy I read. I realize that this is because I transferred my pdf copy to Kindle (a feat of which I'm extremely proud) for easier reading. I went back and looked at my pdf copy and the formatting was good.

I recommend this novel to anyone interested in car racing and intense speed, first and foremost. There is also a little bit of romance that would interest some, a small amount of dealing with grief, and there's the sci-fi aspect. If living and working on other planets is your thing, if you'd like to get around in a jump jet, or would like to be taken care of by a virtual presence, this is for you. I really can't think of anyone who wouldn't enjoy this book.

I am giving Shadow: The Moonracer Chronicles by T. August Green a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. It would have been given a higher rating, but I discovered more than ten errors, most of them in the second half of the book. I enjoyed reading this because of the descriptions of the racing venues and the suspense created by the narration of the races. Races are more fun for me to read about than to actually attend.

Shadow: The Moonracer Chronicles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Wow, how great is that the book is for racing fans! :) I would like to give it a try. I guess the book has an exceptional world-building as well. Thank you for a great review!
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

If living and working on other planets is your thing, if you'd like to get around in a jump jet, or would like to be taken care of by a virtual presence, this is for you.

I hadn't considered these options but I'd like to find out more about them! I'm not so interested in the racing aspect of the book but you've given good advice about other themes that I like. Thanks for a detailed and considered review.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Ellylion wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 04:40 Wow, how great is that the book is for racing fans! :) I would like to give it a try. I guess the book has an exceptional world-building as well. Thank you for a great review!
Racing just sets the stage for the rest of the events. :D
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Mrs D O wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 08:36
If living and working on other planets is your thing, if you'd like to get around in a jump jet, or would like to be taken care of by a virtual presence, this is for you.

I hadn't considered these options but I'd like to find out more about them! I'm not so interested in the racing aspect of the book but you've given good advice about other themes that I like. Thanks for a detailed and considered review.
Racing is just a part of this awesome novel. :)
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Amy Luman wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 14:28 there are six worlds, not just Earth. Thanks to "terraforming," many planets as well as their moons are habitable.
This sounds like a great book for racing fans! I hope they are taking better care of the other planets and moons than we are currently taking care of Earth. 🌎
Thank you for your thorough review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

MsH2k wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 20:49
Amy Luman wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 14:28 there are six worlds, not just Earth. Thanks to "terraforming," many planets as well as their moons are habitable.
This sounds like a great book for racing fans! I hope they are taking better care of the other planets and moons than we are currently taking care of Earth. 🌎
Thank you for your thorough review.
Didn't really say, but I doubt it. 8)
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

If this book made you shed tears at some point, then I should really consider it. Competitions always tend to create super-charged suspense.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I am with you, that it's more fun reading about races than watching races. And a fun book about racing and quite emotional, too. Thanks for your good review!
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Kavita Shah wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 06:25 I am with you, that it's more fun reading about races than watching races. And a fun book about racing and quite emotional, too. Thanks for your good review!
I used to go every Saturday night with my dad. At least until I had a little brother! :wink:
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I am not too intrigued about racing and fast cars. However, I like that the story includes some romance. Hence, this is a book I'd be willing to try out. Thank you so much for your detailed review and recommendation.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I relish books with characters I am able to connect with. Hopefully, the editing will be redone for the book. Great review.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

This would be an exciting read for me. I want to know what the author had to say about life on other planets. I enjoyed reading your review.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Francis_Reads wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 11:54 This would be an exciting read for me. I want to know what the author had to say about life on other planets. I enjoyed reading your review.
I think you'd be surprised. :lol:
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Seroney_ wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 10:44 I relish books with characters I am able to connect with. Hopefully, the editing will be redone for the book. Great review.
Thanks for commenting! :P

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”