Review of Ember

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Review of Ember

Post by Emily_Jen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ember" by Audra M. Davidson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Legends say that all the evil in this world is created by demons, but they are allowed to live as long as they do not tip the balance of good and evil too far. When this happens, however, there is always a witch who is given extraordinary power to stop them.

Amber sees a bright light in her dungeon and wakes up close to a lake. She had somehow escaped after twenty years in captivity. Amber makes her way to the lake but turns around to see three giant wolves coming out of the trees, approaching her with purpose. Merrick, the alpha of the Forsythe Pack, had taken his wolf form with two other warriors to investigate the breach they detected near their border. Merrick soon lays his eyes on his long-lost mate, Amber.

She was captured by the alpha of a rogue pack after they attacked and killed her pack, the Midnight Pack, on her tenth birthday. He took her because of her special gift and would stop at nothing to achieve his aim with her. How did Amber escape? Is the Forsythe Pack in danger of being attacked by the rogue wolf? What special abilities does Amber have? What is the identity of the rogue alpha, and what are his plans? How do demons and witches fit into all these? Find answers to the questions and more in this piece of fiction called Ember by Audra M. Davidson.

Have you ever read a book and felt so immersed that you couldn’t put it down until the last page? This is how I felt while reading the 434-page publication. The story starts on a strong, fast-paced note with uncertainty surrounding the survival of the main character, Amber. I had my heart in my mouth, not knowing what to expect during the massacre of the Midnight Pack. The author not only did a good job of projecting the strength of the major antagonist but also expertly weaved each character in a way that readers would appreciate. The third-person narrative style with occasional dialogue not only gave me a bird’s-eye view of the tale but also played a part in the overall character development.

There are lots of important characters throughout the book, but I connected more with Ethan, Merrick’s beta. I think he showed a lot of strength not to turn on the Forsythe Pack after what happened with his wife, Maggie, and his father, Robert. I won’t reveal any spoilers, but readers should expect to be attached to one or more characters in the book.

While supernatural books like these are popular, I found the storyline of this particular book unique. I loved the background story about how demons, witches, werewolves, and vampires originated. Needless to say, the plot was well written, and I didn’t experience any moment of confusion while I read. Another thing I appreciate about the book is the author’s descriptive prowess. The events and locations were described in a way that readers would feel like they were there in person. Merrick and Amber’s love story was also a joy to read. Readers who love romance would be delighted with the way their love life progressed after she was found near the lake. The author has done an excellent job with the delivery of this book, and I’ve run out of superlatives to describe how well Audra writes.

There’s nothing to dislike about this edition. I think this is one of those books that needs to be rewritten for film production. I’ve read many supernatural books about werewolves, demons, and witches, but I think this one is unique and tops the lot. Moreover, the text is professionally edited. I rate this piece 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to fanatics of supernatural fiction books. However, this story contains the use of major profane words that may be troubling to some readers. It also contains several depictions and references to past sexual, emotional, and physical abuse, as well as scenes of violence or sexual content.

Ember
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

What I love about your review was how you used simple words in writing it. Thank you for sharing this.
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

Amber seems to be an interesting and engaging book but at the same time, it seems to me that I may not enjoy it because I am not a fan of supernatural fiction. Thanks for your review.
Tebogo Shoke
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Tebogo Shoke »

Is it Amber or Ember.... Cause the story and the cover doesn't say the same name :lol2:
Tebogo Shoke
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Tebogo Shoke »

Story lost the setting... You can't locate how to read it its confusing :doh: but I love that it's a supernatural story grabs attention quick
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This whole book sounds like it would be really interesting. Your little story about Ethan really piqued my interest, however. I want to read it just for that!
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

This book is very entertaining and it taught me a lot. You must be praised for writing me this review in simple words.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

I love books on Werewolf and Vampire. The book is eye-catching. Thanks for your review.
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

From my experience, I can tell that this book is going to be very interesting. I would definitely get this book in my shelf. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

The book definitely sounds like a good read. The fantasy aspects and author's descriptions are something I enjoy reading about. I look forward to reading this book. Great review.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

I find supernatural books to be a bit repetitive, but you saying this it was unique might have convinced me to pick up this book. Thanks for your review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging fantasy novel that uses some classic elements of this genre to create an immersive fictional universe. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”