Review of Fairies Sorcery and the Devil

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Review of Fairies Sorcery and the Devil

Post by Lucy Vera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fairies Sorcery and the Devil" by Donald R Richter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fairies, Sorcery and the Devil by Donald R Richter is a well-detailed fantasy novel that takes every reader deep into the imaginary world of fairies, sorcerers, and sheer magic. Comfortably establishing itself under genres like fantasy, adventure, folktale, and even religious fiction, the novel tells us about Jack Robinson, a normal eighty-four-year-old widower who finds himself at home, mourning his wife, who passed away a month earlier.

However, when Jack, standing in his backyard that fateful evening in July, suddenly sees a green light passing over the trees, right into his very backyard, he does not realize that his life is about to change drastically. The whizzing green light he saw turns out to be a green fairy known as Elizabeth under attack from the blue fairies. With the aid of his gun, torch, and wasp spray, Jack saves the green fairy, which in turn tries to kill him. Does he survive?

As the mind-blowing story unfolds, Jack is sent to find Merlin, who is an old magician and sorcerer far away at the magic castle with a seriously sick wife named Juliet, who needs regeneration to save her life. Does Jack succeed in his quest to meet Merlin at the magic castle?

The book has a lot of positive aspects, and it was also beautifully written. The descriptions were vivid, which is very important in fantasies where the author has to create extraordinary settings and characters. The characterization was well done, with complicated characters like Jack, Andre, Boris, and Margaret being beautifully developed. I especially liked Jack because of the way he handled the overnight changes in his life. I saw myself willing him to succeed in his mission and also wanting the blue fairies to lose; this only happens when a story is well characterized.

The book had many dominant themes like revenge and war, and even the way Jack saved the green fairy in the beginning also provides a theme of mercy and kindness. The novel is also filled with suspense as we are constantly on edge, trying to find out if Jack's mission will end successfully. Another positive aspect of this novel is its comprehensive language which helps the reader enjoy the work without much interruptions to look up new words. The book had a few grammatical errors, a testament to good editing.

The only negative aspect I noticed in the book was the presence of many vulgar words, and apart from that, it was a great read.

Therefore, I rate the book four out of four stars because I consider it a wonderful literary work and there was nothing to warrant the deduction of a star. It was a wonderful blend of adventure and fantasy, taking us into the dark world of magic. I recommend it to lovers of fantasies and anyone in search of a good novel to read.

Fairies Sorcery and the Devil
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really like books with vivid descriptions and great characters are a definite plus. Entering a world of fairies and then being given a mission has to.be disconcerting, at least at first. I’ll be rooting for Jack.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It's sounds like a nice fantasy story. It's similar to Epic movie story. I might watch it if it becomes an animation. Good review!
julietmumbua23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietmumbua23.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by julietmumbua23 »

What a wonderful review. I will definitely check the book out.
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

From your review, I can tell that the book is going to be an interesting one. With all the suspense of me finding out why the blue fairy turned on someone that saved its life and if Jack eventually met with Merlin the old magician. I need to read the book. Congrats on a wonderful review.
Daniel Oluwabiyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-profeddy05.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Daniel Oluwabiyi »

It is nice to occasionally dive into the world of fantasy just to escape reality. This book will definitely help take that dive.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

Nice review but I don't think I would read the book because your review did not impress me that much. Nice review by you
Eka Ramadona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Eka Ramadona »

It looks a bit like some anime titles I've seen. But then, of course I haven't read the book, and also Japanese
and western cultures are different. The same is true of how they portray the life of fairies, demons, and magical worlds. Looks like it's quite a curious book to read..
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

It's nice to find characters to which relate to, as Jack for example. A pity the use of vulgar words though. Fine review.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I enjoyed your review and the writing style of the author. I look forward to reading the book. Welldone!!!
Collins Kiprono 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collins-kiprono-4.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Collins Kiprono 4 »

If you are hoping to become immersed in a magical world, full of fresh and exciting possibilities, this book is for you.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel in which some classic elements of the fantasy genre are used to create an engaging storyline. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”