Review of The Last Savior Book 1

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Review of The Last Savior Book 1

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Savior Book 1" by Jalleh Doty.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last Savior Book 1 by Jalleh Doty throws us into a chaotic twenty-first century where resources are extremely scarce and World War III is ensuing. Global warming, deforestation, crop shortages, pandemics, and natural disasters have completely transformed the landscape of the entire world. One 15-year-old girl from the Middle East, Ilham, was a victim of the savage environment when she was brutally assaulted by a group of soldiers. Ilham must move forward with the consequences of the assault in a misogynistic world that places blame on the victim because she is a female. We journey with her through her and her family's life as they experience many challenges and divine encounters that are interwoven into a very spiritual journey.

I enjoyed the author’s creativity and total immersion as they depicted this complex, dystopian world. This book paints an eerie prediction of what could happen if the world continues down the path of anti-environmentalism and dissonance. I found the treatment of Ilham to be heartbreaking. The author portrayed her character in such a way that I felt a real kinship with her. Likewise, the descriptions of persecution and human rights violations left me shaken. I appreciated the author did not shield the reader from the inequalities some of the characters faced.

One opportunity that I would have appreciated to have elaborated more on was Ilham and Armon’s relationship. I felt that their relationship progressed very quickly but there was not a lot of substance or romance shown in how their love evolved. I would have been much more invested in the start of their relationship if I had been able to comprehend how their emotions evolved into love. I would also recommend the author have the book professionally edited. I noted several spelling and grammatical errors that distracted me from the story. Editing would also aid in the transitions throughout the book. I felt there were several segues between topics that did not flow very well.

I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars due to the opportunities for editing. I also believe that there were possibilities for better supporting character development that would have made the reader more engaged throughout the story. I appreciated the author’s creativity and interesting take on what could happen to humanity if we lose our compassion for one another. There certainly were enjoyable moments and characters to read in the story. I believe further attention to detail would make the story an even more immersing read.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading fictional, dystopian tales. Readers will also enjoy this story if they appreciate stories where characters can overcome tragic challenges and ultimately discover meaning in their spiritual journey.

The Last Savior Book 1
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m not sure what to say about this book. First, I want to read it. I don’t really like romance so I’m not clear as to why the statement about Ilham and Armon’s relationship bothered me so much.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

Amy Luman wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 13:53 I’m not sure what to say about this book. First, I want to read it. I don’t really like romance so I’m not clear as to why the statement about Ilham and Armon’s relationship bothered me so much.

I agree with you. It definitely was something that I found hard to believe when I read the book. That being said, I would still highly recommend reading it.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure I want to read a dystopic series right now and this novel seems to have good potential but some problems, so I'd also wait for a revision that improves it. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”