Review of Charlie’s Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah J Callen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Deserving
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-j-callen.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Review of Charlie’s Story

Post by Sarah J Callen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Charlie’s Story" by Ann McNicol.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Ann McNicol, Charlie's Story introduces us to Samantha, a tenacious and lonely teenage girl who adores being out on the reef. One day, she encounters an octopus who she believes is trying to speak with her. She affectionately names him Charlie and sets off on a journey to communicate with him. Little does she know that her life will be flipped entirely upside down in the process.

I thoroughly enjoyed this particular book. It's a quick and light-hearted read with engaging characters and an intriguing premise. The book is primarily written in first-person from Samantha's perspective, though it does switch around to different characters. I was impressed at the author's ability to write in a way that seemed consistent with a teenage girl. It's clear that Ann McNicol knew the character very well. We learn not only about Samantha's dreams and desires but also about her insecurities and quirks.

The author also does an excellent job with character development. At the beginning of Charlie's Story, Samantha is isolated, lonely, and very unsure of herself in any situation outside of the reef. Samantha grows throughout the book and is in a very different place at the end of the book. It was satisfying to go on that emotional journey with her.

My biggest issue with Charlies's Story is that there are a number of simple typos throughout. This book could've benefitted tremendously from another round of proofreading.

Still, despite the grammatical errors, Charlie's Story is a fun read, and I give it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I applaud the immense creativity of this particular tale. I never would've thought to write a story about a teenager communicating with an octopus, but it works! The story is a thoroughly engaging one. I was also impressed by how utterly endearing Charlie the octopus is. Watching the relationship between Samantha and Charlie grow and evolve over the course of the book was wonderful. The author knew just the right moments to include to keep us engaged in the adventure without sacrificing our emotional connection to the characters.

While this book can be enjoyable for adults, I recommend Charlie's Story to pre-teens and even teenagers, especially those who are interested in the environment or marine life. There is no inappropriate language or sexual content in the book. The writing is simple enough for even younger readers to understand and enjoy.

Charlie’s Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Okoye Chinonso+
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

The cover of the book sure did say everything concerning the book :lol2: :lol2:
A bit like Moana (a Disney cartoon). I'm curious about the twist and turns she would face.
Thanks for such a great review.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Okoye Chinonso+
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

With a bit of correction to the book, I see no reason it shouldn't be granted a full star. It does have an interesting storyline after all.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by ellimctreph »

This sounds like a very interesting premise. Great review.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Wow. Sounds captivating. I should get a copy right away. Nice review. Thank you.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I know that teenagers can feel very lonely (that’s probably why Samantha spends so much time on the reef). I hope that she can find help in the form of the octopus.
beutiful_pen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beutiful-pen.html
Latest Review: The Decision by Michael D. Komeshak

Post by beutiful_pen »

Nice review. Seems like an interesting read.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Good to know that this novel can be enjoyed by adults as well, as the idea of communicating with a creature that's so different from humans that is practically an alien such an octopus is intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”