Review of <Cathi>

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Review of <Cathi>

Post by Peace Odii »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "<Cathi>" by John Sonic.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We seldom think about what the future would look like having historical books, pictures, and the internet to tell us about our past and where we are coming from. Do we ever imagine what could happen in such a computer age?

<Cathi> by John Sonic is an action-packed, adventurous, fiction book about the possible future, computer programs, bots, the fight for freedom, and what it could be that would keep you glued longer than you expected. The book started with a world that sought freedom, the bid to rewrite history, to take away anything that could remind us of the past. John Sonic tells the story of two total strangers who try to escape a world controlled by computer programs alongside a tour guide, Jan. Did they survive this adventure filled with terrors?

One of the things I considered positive about this book was how the author shared his philosophies about life and the meaning of life itself through Jan to Mark and Kelly. It went to the extent of comparing life to the life of Sisyphus, who was doomed to pushing a boulder up a hill. Jan reminded us that time changes when he said on page 190, “what was right will one day be wrong.” He also gave a subtle reminder that nature thrives on competition.

Also, Sonic is a good writer that took me every step of the way with his perfect descriptions of everything, like events, the streets, the sound of animals, and how places looked. Furthermore, I liked that the book was limited to computer algorithms and bots. It further touched on other aspects of life like racism, migration, and what migrants could go through.

However, one thing I didn’t like about the book was that it had a complex nature. We were introduced to some characters before the author returned to tell us what had happened before their first introduction. The book had errors, too, which makes me think it was not professionally edited.

Aside from the issues stated above, there was nothing else that I disliked in the book. The book's beginning and end kept me glued, as I almost did not want the adventure to end, as I tried to figure out what happens next. But due to the errors, I concluded that the book appeared not to be edited professionally. Consequently, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. Another round of editing is required to perfect this book. I recommend it to those who are interested in adventure and science fiction. Due to its mature content, it may not suit younger readers.

<Cathi>
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure I want to read another dystopic story right now but this one seems to offer some food for thought that makes it interesting, so I hope the author does another round of editing to correct the errors. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Sounds like great adventure tales. I'm keen!
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

I would love to learn more about the philosophy of life,I find this book interesting from the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”