Review of Extraordinary

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review of Extraordinary

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Extraordinary" by Teddy konickson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Charles Lee is your typical school nerd. He usually sits alone at the library, keeping to himself and his comics. He is used to being bullied by Kennedy’s gang and laments that his crush, Joy, always sees him being humiliated. Can he ever hope for her to like him? Fortunately, Charles can go home to his loving parents and brother who accept him without condition. He also has an after-school job at a burger joint, and his workmate Chloe is always ready to lend him an ear.

One day, the unthinkable happens. On his way home from work, Charles figures in a horrible accident that totals his car and injures him seriously. As he is about to breathe his last, a heavenly being, Chronos, miraculously appears. Chronos rescues him from death and even bestows super powers upon him. Charles is told that he is “the chosen one” who will save the world from a coming apocalypse.

I don’t normally read fantasy stories, but the blurb for this book intrigued me. I love underdogs. The cover also tugged at my heartstrings. Though the tale is more suitable for a teenage audience, I don’t regret picking up Extraordinary by Teddy Konickson.

High school students will enjoy the book. They will be able to relate to the jitters and euphoria of young love. They understand that what to wear on the first date is a major dilemma and that misplacing the bottle of cologne is cataclysmic. Fans of superheroes, Harry Potter, and Rambo will find some of the phrases familiar; I think the author intended those to coax smiles. However, Charles as the Extraordinary Man is no copycat; the reader will accompany him as he discovers his unique combination of superpowers and weaknesses.

The author admits to being a comic book addict, and this made it easy for him to create his hero. Charles is easy to like, too. He has a happy home, is open to community service, and does not seek revenge for wrongs done to him. I think parents will want their kids to be like him.

An older audience may not be as thrilled with the book, though. They may find the fight scenes too unrealistic and the hero’s powers too perfect. The many scenes of blushing and speechlessness at the sight of the beloved also come across as extra cheesy.

I did not like the parts where some characters were described as being so attractive that those of the opposite sex were “throwing themselves at them.” I also found it awkward that Mr. Lee did not have a first name and that the burger joint where Charles worked was not named.

My main complaint centers on the editing of the book. There are numerous grammatical errors throughout, and some of the phrasing is awkward. The author has trouble with idioms like “turn a blind eye,” “beat to a pulp,” and “burned to a crisp.” I had difficulty in the transition between Chapters 6 and 7. I had to reread that portion to fully grasp what transpired.

Considering the merits and demerits of the story, I give it 2 out of 4 stars. I think a professional editor’s intervention will make the book truly extraordinary.

Extraordinary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Fantasy stories are always interesting to read. I could understand Charles' doubt about whether her crush, Joy, will still like him after being bullied in her presence. It's good to know that Charles was saved from death at the end. Great review.
VictoriousReader
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriousreader.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VictoriousReader »

Great review! Sounds like an interesting book, cant wait to read it.
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

Wow i love superpower books, this sounds really interesting am eager to know what happens next and at least he can now get joy his crush to like him. Good review, great book
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

It's unfortunate that a rather interesting storyline has been poorly executed. I agree with you that older readers may not be thrilled to read about teenage romance.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It sounds wonderful. Being a Harry Potter fan, I do hope to read this one. Thanks for a great review and recommendation!
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Your review indeed is very thorough. :D
Being an introvert, the storyline of this book was one of my favorite imaginary scenarios in childhood...;)
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
PeterRabitt20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

The context sounds exciting and like it would keep me reading; I like cheering for the underdogs. But, the errors would get in the way of my enjoyment. Thanks for the review! :tiphat:
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

I like the storybooks of young children, their innocent reactions and feelings to small situations. The review is captivating and I am surely planning to read the book.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I don't think this is a book for me. Thanks for the good and unbiased review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Fireside119 wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 10:31 It's unfortunate that a rather interesting storyline has been poorly executed. I agree with you that older readers may not be thrilled to read about teenage romance.
Adults may not enjoy the book now, but it certainly reminded me of my teenage crushes. I can relate to the episodes of blushing and speechlessness. Ahh, the luxuries of youth! Why did we have to grow up?
Kanchan Sharma wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 01:15 I like the storybooks of young children, their innocent reactions and feelings to small situations. The review is captivating and I am surely planning to read the book.
Do tell me how it goes if you are able to read Charles' story. I bet it will make you recall the feel of high school. Those were the days of indelible memories.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

El_limitless wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 09:42 Fantasy stories are always interesting to read. I could understand Charles' doubt about whether her crush, Joy, will still like him after being bullied in her presence. It's good to know that Charles was saved from death at the end. Great review.
Thanks for your insights. Sometimes it's good to escape to Fantasy Land where all things are possible.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Victoria Munyandi wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 09:57 Great review! Sounds like an interesting book, cant wait to read it.
It was a good way to forget the world's troubles for a while. Thanks for zooming by.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Miriam nkere wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 10:09 Wow i love superpower books, this sounds really interesting am eager to know what happens next and at least he can now get joy his crush to like him. Good review, great book
It's nice to pretend you're Lois Lane. "Can you read my mind?"
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

The frant1c reader wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 15:34 Your review indeed is very thorough. :D
Being an introvert, the storyline of this book was one of my favorite imaginary scenarios in childhood...;)
Don't we all escape to that world of fantasy once in a while? I would be Wonder Woman in my dreams, the Lynda Carter version LOL!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”