Official Review: Tronick by Rosie Record

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Official Review: Tronick by Rosie Record

Post by Misael Carlos »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tronick" by Rosie Record.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rosie Record's dystopian novel is set in the age of genetically engineered people, subliminal messages controlling people and metal humanoids. Ruled by the Governance and a covert organization called The Agency, California-Annex is encased in high walls and massive greenery; everyone is being monitored by governors and controllers. Arrogant and defiant, Fiona Tronick is working for The Agency as a street operative. Tronick may be fiercely loyal to the secret organization, but she silently rejects the oppressive walls surrounding their world and wonders what is beyond it. A briefcase given to her by an old man reveals documents of people including that of a missing popular personality. Intrigued, she wonders who this mysterious, milky-eyed man is especially when she is ordered to kill him. Tronick by Rosie Record presents tough Fiona Tronick as she uncovers a mystery that may change her perspective about the very organization she works for.

Record is a creative author: she was able to make me visualize a different, futuristic world. It was like I was hearing the soft feminine voice emanating from Tronick's helmet’s built-in speakers as she mounted her bike. I could visualize the prominence of greenery in the high-rise buildings and the filth in the brutal areas of The Annex. I could picture the wall encasing the oppressive world Tronick lived in. It was effortless to envision this novel on the widescreen played by a popular actor.

The author presented a character-driven story rather than a plot-focused novel. Tronick's character was well-developed I could visualize her as I read on. It was not difficult to root for her as she pursued her goal with singular determination.

Tronick was slow-paced, the tension building up gradually as the story journeyed through its surprising twists and turns. Record presented many relevant and common themes like hunger for power, corruption and entitlement. The violent scenes were so graphic I cringed each time. She presented realities in life many can relate to. The statement of one of the characters stayed with me even after finishing the novel: "People put up walls to either keep something in or keep something out." I was amused when someone asked the secret to manipulating people.

The author was keen on using dramatic visualization, hyperbole and imagery. An example was: "She felt the oxygen being sucked in, pushed down, filling and expanding her lungs, before being expelled in a controlled exhale." You have to pass through flowery statements before coming to a particular thought. While it created vivid imagery, it sometimes resulted in some distractions.

Record used terms like E250 and HC without providing their meaning at once. For example, HC appeared on several pages but explained much later. Another was the word "trenches". The characters would refer to it many times before being explained almost halfway to the novel. Due to its importance to the story, I felt a quick description should have been provided early on. It was frustrating for me: I did some backreading thinking I might have skipped it when in fact I did not.

There were a few grammatical errors like unnecessary punctuation marks and incorrect use of an adjective. I observed one vague statement due to an incorrect word being used.

The fascinating plot, intriguing setting and solid characterization for Tronick made this book an engaging read. The minimal grammatical errors led me to believe the book was professionally edited. Thus, I give Tronick by Rosie Record 4 out of 4 stars.

If you like dystopian fiction, this is for you. Graphic violence, death and illegal drug use are prevalent in this book so if you are sensitive to these, look elsewhere.

Tronick
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ondijo Junior
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ondijo-junior.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Ondijo Junior »

wow this is a great book though am not a fun of this genre. otherwise thanks for sharing
Absenc Of Evidence, is Never an Evidence Of Absence
S P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-p.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by S P »

It sounds like a very vividly written book, and I love dystopian novels! Thanks for such a good review :)
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Inside the four walls being monitored by the controllers. Greenery is a distraction and world beyond is hope. I Really liked your review!
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

I'm not a huge fan of dystopian novels, but I found your review quite interesting. Bravo.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This definitely sounds like a dystopian novel I could get behind. I certainly want to know what’s beyond the walls. Thanks for the great review!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I enjoy it when an author takes the time to help the reader visualise the characters and scenes in their book. The concept of genetically engineered people sounds intriguing. This book seems like an enjoyable one. Thank you for this review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure I want to read a dystopian story right now, but this one seems well constructed with a terrific protagonist, so I might read it when I'm in the right mood. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”