Official Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Official Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed...

Post by Julehart1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3" by Mike Murphey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Killing Time is a science-fiction book written by Mike Murphey. The year is 2046, and Sean Brody is an elderly man that lives in Brookhaven Assisted Care. Marshall and Marta need him to go back in time to rescue their good friend, Shiela. While not everyone knows about it, time travel is now possible. Sean felt that he lived an uneventful life and was always much too cautious, so he had a few regrets about some of the decisions that he made. In particular, there was one choice that he always wanted to take back. To try and save this person that Sean has never met, he will have to give up everything and make the ultimate sacrifice. Marshall, Martha, and their friends are members of the Global Research Consortium. They only time travel for peaceful research missions and to help others. However, there is a mole among them, and this person is secretly working for a group that wants to use time travel to get rich and to control the future. Can Marshall and Marta stop the bad guys, or will they accomplish their evil plans? Which one of their friends is the mole that’s trying to sabotage them? Will Sean be successful in his mission to rescue Sheila? Can he make different choices and actually change his own fate, or is he destined to just repeat his old mistakes? Find out in this exciting and thrilling adventure that is also the third part of a series called Physics, Lust and Greed.

I very much enjoyed the book’s premise about time travel. There are obviously quite a few books and movies dealing with time travel, but I feel that this story is told in a refreshing way that is both gripping and humorous. The author didn’t waste a lot of time trying to explain all of the science behind time travel but instead focused on telling an engrossing story, which proved to be the right decision. I was very curious to see what would happen to Sean and if he would succeed in saving Sheila. I also couldn’t wait to find out if he could change his past somehow and totally alter his destiny. The book definitely had my attention and interest. There was also humor in the book, and some of the dialogues between certain characters made me smile. I appreciated those lighthearted scenes to balance out all of the serious situations.

Even though there will be other books in this series, there were answers given to a few of the important questions, and some of the fates of the big characters were revealed. The surprises and twists along the way were fun, and the conclusion was mostly satisfying and rewarding.

While I liked Sean as the main character in the story and cared about what happened to him, this book had too many other characters. Some were made to seem important, but their storylines went nowhere. The character development was also lacking for most characters because there were so many of them. Even Marshall and Marta, who were two of the other main characters, weren’t fully developed. Maybe the author was trying to maintain some mystery about Marshall’s motivations throughout the book, but it definitely hurt the character development. I also wasn’t a big fan of the storyline that was about the bad guys and their evil plans about using time travel for profit. I don’t want to go deep into the plot because I don’t want to spoil anything, but certain characters also made choices that didn’t make logical sense. I would hope more would be revealed in future books.

I’m rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. I loved the premise of the novel. The part of the story that had to do with time travel was told in an engaging way that seemed original and fresh. I especially cared about Sean as a character and wanted him to succeed in his quest. I also appreciated that the book contained humorous scenes that balanced out the story. Some of the important storylines were concluded and resolutions were given. Another plus was the professional editing, as I only found one error in the book. I’m taking a star away because the book had too many characters, and character development wasn’t a strength of this novel. Likewise, I didn’t love the parts of the plot that dealt with the antagonists and found those parts a bit dull. Also, some of the decisions of certain characters didn’t make sense to me. I would need to see how further novels in the series develop because this story is not finished. I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to science-fiction fans, especially those who like stories about time travel.

Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3
View: on Bookshelves
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

This series sounds intriguing. Although character development seems to be lacking, your excellent review has convinced me to read it!
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

Time travel has been a concept I found interesting. your review of this book added more sauce to my appetite for time travel books. I will take a read of this book. You did a great job with this review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love time travel books, but I like the plots that answer all the questions and leave no thread loose. I loves reading your detailed review, and thank you for your recommendation!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an intriguing novel, though I wonder if I need to read the whole series, including futures books, to understand its intricacies and see all the characters properly used. Thank you for your thorough review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Lauren Hanna
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Last to Vanish
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-hanna.html
Latest Review: Mamma & Me by Eloisa B. Lucas

Post by Lauren Hanna »

I just finished reading Wasting Time, book 2 in this series. Your review begins right where book 2 left off. Did the characters ever find out what happened to Sheila? You did a great job on this review, very thorough.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

This is an exciting, thrilling and adventurous sci-fi book. It is a story told in a refreshing way that is both gripping and humorous. The review is wonderful.
Congratulations on Botd 🎉
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 812
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

This book sounds like a great time travel sci-fi story. But too bad many characters were not given a proper arc. Perhaps, they will be developed in more details in the sequels.
And thanks for this amazing and thorough review. :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

I just finished reading Wasting Time and have started the first book in the series, Taking Time. I felt the same way about character development in Wasting Time until I began reading the first book. It's possible that the book can be a standalone, but would probably be better read in order. Thanks for the review. This book is on my Kindle, patiently waiting for me to read it.
-Amy
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I don't care about time travel plotlines. The big number of characters can be hard for author to navigate. But as this is not an end to a series it helps to further the narrative.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

The concept of time travel has always intrigued me. I wonder how it's different from the other time-traveling novels I've read previously. Anyway, this sounds like a standalone book considering it's the third book in the series. So I will add this to my to-read list!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Bethany Nystrand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany-nystrand.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by Bethany Nystrand »

Time travel is a tricky thing to get right for me. But a lot of that has to do with people making it overly complicated. This book seems like it focused more on giving us an enjoyable plot! That speaks volumes. I am also a person who loves large casts! Sounds worth the read!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker

Post by Amy Luman »

I want to read this book despite its problems.I need to read the first books in the series first, though. Thanks for the review!
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

The book's title and cover captivated me. However, weak character development will be an obstacle of the book has too many characters. Thanks for the great review.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

This is a a futuristic sci-fi book about traveling back in time to save someone. Congratulations BOTD!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”