Official Review: Portals by Jon Zimmer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Official Review: Portals by Jon Zimmer

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Portals" by Jon Zimmer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Portals by Jon D. Zimmer is a science fiction story following the life of Joe. Joe is an excellent football player and is gifted academically. He comes from a wealthy family, who strive to support him in every way. The book follows his life, his loves, his ambitions, and the causes he is most passionate about.

Whilst playing his last football match for his high school in San Francisco, Joe is tackled and falls unconscious. He is given immediate attention and taken off the football field where he falls unconscious again. With Joe’s life slipping away from him, he finds himself in an unfamiliar room full of white mist. Disorientated and confused, Joe sees doorways, or portals, in this space, each with a word above. His choices of words are numerous, including education. This word encompasses what he desires in life, and he walks through this portal. Joe returns to his life with no memory of the strange room full of doors and focuses on his genuine passions in life. He decides he will carry on playing football at college, but does not want to be a professional sports star. His real ambition is to be a physics professor and a man of science. 

Joe is also passionate about the love of his life, Mary, and she supports his causes, which are to make education free for everyone, and take action against climate change. He realises military service and a political career may be the way to achieve his goals, but along this journey, he finds himself in the mysterious room with portals several times. What choices will this strange place offer him, and will Joe come to understand its meaning? 

As well as being a captivating story, this novel addresses important issues such as social injustice, climate change, wealth disparity, racism and politics. The story explores the idea that if education was free to everyone, the population would receive equal opportunities. Also, education would help to eliminate prejudice and provide essential knowledge to each individual on how to conserve our planet, and do everything possible to prevent further climate change. These aspirational ideas could be a way to change things and improve our delicate and troubled planet. The author has done an impressive job of highlighting some very critical global issues. 

Part of the story was set in the future. In these future years, the extent of climate change, wealth disparity and social injustice is clear throughout the world. The book contains vivid descriptions of a worst-case scenario for our planet if these issues aren’t addressed. The idea that these predictions could be possible is quite sobering and makes you think about your responsibilities and the things you can do to make changes for a better future. The author has combined some important messages and scientific facts into a fictional story.

The concept of portals is very intriguing to me. I enjoyed the character’s reasoning behind their choices when they found themselves in this other dimension. The book has a vast amount of scientific fact, and I liked the inclusion of themes such as other dimensions, life after death, and deities. The combination of science and philosophy is interesting and imaginative. The characters are also entertaining, with distinct personalities, desires and ambitions. I enjoyed the evolution of Joe’s character and his life with Mary. From being childhood sweethearts to attending college and starting their careers and adult lives together is an enjoyable journey.

I didn’t find any spelling or grammar mistakes in the book, so it seems to have been very well edited, and I found nothing to dislike about the book. It was original and thought-provoking, so I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The book doesn’t contain profanities and has only very mild sexual themes. It is suited to adults and young adults who enjoy an original story that includes current and critical issues. I commend the author for providing essential and confronting facts to the reader. I hope this novel will encourage people to view their actions differently as well as giving the reader an entertaining and riveting story.

Portals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Albaou Amira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-albaou-amira.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Albaou Amira »

This sounds like an amazing read. The concept of growth and development of the characters is super important. I would like to read this book. Great review.
Caroline Anne Richmond

Albaou Amira wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 05:35 This sounds like an amazing read. The concept of growth and development of the characters is super important. I would like to read this book. Great review.
Thank you for your kind comments, it’s a really interesting book with great characters and full of modern issues.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This sounds like a really great read and I enjoyed reading your review. Well done.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

This book sounds very interesting with the way it is combining real-life social issues along with fantasy elements like these portals. Thank you for the well-detailed review!
Caroline Anne Richmond

WADonnelly wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 16:20 This sounds like a really great read and I enjoyed reading your review. Well done.
Thanks so much for your comments.
Caroline Anne Richmond

Dartemis wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 19:39 This book sounds very interesting with the way it is combining real-life social issues along with fantasy elements like these portals. Thank you for the well-detailed review!
Thanks for your kind comments. It is a unique mix of themes and quite original.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

The premise of this book seems really intriguing, with a lot to offer its readers. Your review clearly conveyed all the different aspects of the novel in great detail. Thanks for the recommendation and the great review!
Caroline Anne Richmond

Drianie wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 05:21 The premise of this book seems really intriguing, with a lot to offer its readers. Your review clearly conveyed all the different aspects of the novel in great detail. Thanks for the recommendation and the great review!
Thank you for your kind comments. Hope you enjoy it if you get chance to read the book.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

The title and cover looked interesting. After reading your detailed review I want to read it even more.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Caroline Anne Richmond

Jenniferg_1105 wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 22:12 The title and cover looked interesting. After reading your detailed review I want to read it even more.
Thank you for your comments, I hope you enjoy the book.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Great review... I love the blend of themes here. A new addition to my bookshelf.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a very interesting novel that addresses important issues existing today that might become even worse in the future. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Caroline Anne Richmond

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 22:07 Great review... I love the blend of themes here. A new addition to my bookshelf.
Thanks for your comments, the book does contain a really interesting mix of topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond

NetMassimo wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 05:58 This seems like a very interesting novel that addresses important issues existing today that might become even worse in the future. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you for your comments. The themes are quite harrowing in parts as it’s a stark reminder of what could happen to our planet.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”