Official Review: Intercedence by Steve Denton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: Intercedence by Steve Denton

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Intercedence" by Steve Denton.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Intercedence by Steve Denton, we follow the journey of a man allowed to turn his life around, albeit through an unconventional means. Scott Michael Evers was born to ordinary parents, lived an everyday life, and was destined for a painful death. It took the death of a woman in Ukraine and a memorable encounter for him to have another go at life. The changes that came with the second life were unpredictable, and Scott dared to make that difficult choice. Did Scott make the right choice, or should he have allowed fate to take its course?

I wished I started this review with the good stuff. Unfortunately, there wasn't much that this book had to impress me. The opening of the book piqued my interest. I expected a fast-paced, action-packed plot. However, the use of flashback watered down that expectation a notch. Most of what happened in the first 100 pages had no significant input to future events. For instance, John Michael's industrial accident was mentioned but didn't play a significant role as the plot unfolded.

Many flat characters were introduced and forgotten. This made me wonder why they showed up in the first place. The characterization was below par. At a point in the story, the narrative style became more of telling than showing. This made it hard to get to know the characters. There was also an unnecessary need to explain the emotions behind the dialogues. Instead of showing how a speaker felt, the author told me. The reader wouldn't activate their imagination, which is one crucial element in enjoying a story.

On a positive note, the writing was descriptive; anyone could read and understand the story's message. The author's description of the mind transfer process was commendable.

Overall, the story's concept was interesting, but the development was not deep enough. It read like a love and redemption story with splatters of tension here and there.

It was an average book. For a beginner, this book might be enjoyed solely for its novelty. An advanced reader would find it wanting in terms of depth. The book seemed to lack professional editing, as there were so many errors in the book. This book contained 514 pages, but I found the first ten errors within the first 80 pages. I had to stop taking notes of them at some point, as they were very distracting. I would rate Intercedence 2 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to people looking for a simple story to get through a dull evening.

Intercedence
View: on Bookshelves
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

The book cover looks very attractive and the plot itself sounds interesting too. Just a shame that the book itself does not live up to the expectations.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel with potential. A professional editor might help the author in developing it properly and with proofreading. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The story is about having another go at life. I hope the book also gets another chance after the necessary tweaking. Thanks for the honest review.
mlh6fn
Currently Reading: Stay Gold
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlh6fn.html
Latest Review: I Am Unstoppable by Charmaine Marie

Post by mlh6fn »

As interesting as this story sounds, it sounds like this novel has two of my greatest peeves as a reader: telling over showing and a lack of character development. That takes me right out of the story and it's rare I find a plot that manages to overcome those deficiencies. Thank you for your review!
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

Poorly editted works are always a pitfall for great novels. All the book needs is a professional touch to bring it back alive. Thanks for pointing these out.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

These should be noted for the author and other author alikes. Thanks for the review though.
Uzzy_Reviews

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”