Official Review: Dr. Cerulean's Guide To Traversing Time ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: Dr. Cerulean's Guide To Traversing Time ...

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dr. Cerulean's Guide To Traversing Time & Dimensions in 13 Simple Steps" by Mateyo Jakobi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Cerulean's Guide to Traversing Time & Dimensions in 13 Simple Steps by Mateyo Jakobi tells us what happens when science meets magic, and the two combine to save the world.

The story revolved around Bratticus L. Magleby, a knowledgeable fellow in science, mathematics, and other subjects involving numbers and calculations, who was hired as an apprentice by Dr. Gustopher Cramden Cerulean, an eccentric Doctor. Bratticus was hired because of his eye color — they were dark, flecked with light colors, and reminiscent of a galaxy. Dr. Cerulean appeared to have discovered the secret to time travel, and for a year, he and his apprentice worked steadily to develop their time machine. In the process, Bratticus took copious notes and learned a lot from the doctor. What he knew served him in later times. However, Bratticus, as knowledgeable as he was, couldn't foresee all the adventures and mishaps that would befall him due to a series of events neither he nor anybody else had any control over.

This story incorporated suspense, humor, and a sense of the ridiculous. One would be hard-pressed to take any of it seriously. However, it projected some logical and scientific concepts — enough to make the reader ponder.

The author's writing style is humorous. However, the humor appears to be a bit contrived or forced in some places. It suffices to say that the book is entertaining, if not hilarious. Many of the descriptions do not make much sense until later in the book. At first, the story seems not to have a plot or a central storyline because the author keeps deviating and going all over the place. The way the story goes towards the end of the book shows that this is deliberate on the author's part, or if not intended, then at least he is aware of it. Towards the end, you begin to enjoy the story and make sense of it, as all the pieces start to come together. The reader will require patience to get through the incoherences at the beginning.

I found the storyline unique, and I marveled at how all the seemingly unconnected bits and pieces mentioned at the beginning of the story came to play significant roles later on. Even sentences that were used in passing turned out to have significant meanings. The book kept my mind busy because I was trying to fit all these bits and pieces of information into my mind to see how they would be used later on. No part of this book was predictable, and it added to the book's appeal. This was what I liked the most about it.

This story was mostly baffling, slightly exasperating, and very entertaining. I found many errors, and I would recommend another round of professional editing. Besides the errors, there was nothing else that was off-putting about this book. Therefore, I'd rate it 3 out of 4 stars. If you enjoy science fiction or fantasy stories, then you'd enjoy this book. This book would also appeal to readers who enjoy the adventures of the mind.

Dr. Cerulean's Guide To Traversing Time & Dimensions in 13 Simple Steps
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

The book sounds like an exercise for the mind. Science fiction isn't my thing, but the book's premise seems compelling enough to be worth the try. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

That seems an intriguing and intellectually stimulating novel. I hope the author does another round of proofreading. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

Sounds like it's an interesting concept mixed with good humor, although forced humor usually turns me off. Thank you for your review.
Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

This book sounds hilarious and entertaining! I love an unreliable narrator and a story that makes you question what you know. Thanks for a great review!
Rukitejevbo02
Currently Reading: The Maid
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukitejevbo02.html
Latest Review: Faults by Orion Gregory

Post by Rukitejevbo02 »

I love it when a book is unpredictable. But if it contains forced humor.. Well, I'm not really a fan.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

I love reading books that at the end, I'll be glad all my guesses were wrong. This book, posses as one. I hope it'll be well edited by then.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

I'm a sucker for magic books. Also science. Would be an interesting read. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”