Official Review: Death and Disorder: A Vivian Wexler Gal...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Death and Disorder: A Vivian Wexler Gal...

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death and Disorder: A Vivian Wexler Galactic Mystery" by Patricia Crumpler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Vivian Wexler, a successful but young private detective from Earth, is surprised and honored to receive a special request from the prime minister of the planet of Soralole to help solve a mystery. The Soraloles are a humanlike race of beings who are peaceful and never kill, not even animals. Yet the last two years have brought a rash of suicides among the race for the first time in history. Because there are typically no conflicts on the planet, Soralole has no police officers or detectives of their own to investigate the situation.

With her keen insight and the help of Douglas “Dee” Dunbar, an old childhood flame she meets along the way, Vivian quickly cracks the case and saves the planet of Soralole. In gratitude, the prime minister recommends her for a training position as a Galactic Agent with the Confederation of Planets. Now Vivian’s work will really be cut out for her. Will she be able to make it as a Galactic Agent and balance her newly rekindled romance at the same time? She is also still suffering lingering effects of an infection she caught while saving Soralole. She doesn’t know if she’ll be able to shake it off or whether she even wants to. And what’s going on with her strange new addiction to coffee?

Death and Disorder: A Vivian Wexler Galactic Mystery by Patricia Crumpler is an exciting sci-fi thriller with a dash of romance. The book is told from the 3rd person point of view of Vivian, an intelligent and strong-willed protagonist. She is a fun lead to follow along with, as she is quick-witted and able to appreciate the humor in the situations she is thrown into. She has a lot of depth and faces internal struggles along the way, making her feel very realistic.

The worldbuilding in this novel is fantastic. A variety of planets, alien races, and technologies are described in detail and are very believable. I also liked the author’s explanations of the different types of space travel, including matter transfer, where your atoms separate, travel independently at a pace faster than the speed of light, and reassemble at the final destination. Some parts of the future are very advanced, while some things never change, such as humans’ love for coffee and chocolate. These luxuries have now been well-received galaxy-wide through trade.

Although this book contains a lot of action, I really liked that it takes time to tackle important issues and provide commentaries of the state of our world. In the book, Earth has not been admitted to the Confederation of Planets because humans are too warlike. The Con-Plan Tribunal’s position is that if Earthlings have not been able to cease from fighting with each other for even a day across the planet’s history, there is no way they can be trusted to maintain peaceful relationships with other intergalactic species. The book addresses bigotry, as Vivian must struggle to overcome her own prejudices in building positive relationships in her role as a Galactic Agent. The book also deals with the topic of addiction, as it ponders whether it is always bad, even in cases where its results are positive.

There is very little I can find to critique about this novel. I would have liked to see a more developed romance between Vivian and Dee. The timeline felt rushed and the feelings unrealistic. I also felt like the title of the novel didn’t do the book justice. Death and Disorder is such a bland title for such a unique book. That said, these minor quibbles did not interfere one bit with my overall enjoyment of the story. With interesting characters, settings, and themes, I thought it was a top-notch novel. The editing was excellent, as I did not find a single error throughout the book. I happily rate it 4 out of 4 stars, and I would love to see a sequel in the future. Star Wars fans, or any lovers of futuristic sci-fi novels, will love this book.

Death and Disorder: A Vivian Wexler Galactic Mystery
View: on Bookshelves
kaicastleberry15
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kaicastleberry15 »

This book is AMAZING. I absolutely love adventure and the new frontier and this book brought it all together for me. If you like mysteries, aliens, space and adventure, this book is for you!
SarahShebl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahshebl.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by SarahShebl »

I'd like to read this book, as it seems to have a good amount of everything and the story sounds very interesting too. I enjoyed your review very much, very comprehensive and teasing.
Tonze
Currently Reading: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonze.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Tonze »

Usually I don't like sci-fi novels but this one sound to be interesting, I think I will read the book. I enjoyed your review.
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

The storyline is very captivating. I am a big fan of sci-fi novels, and I believe I will really enjoy this one. Thanks for the review.
DianeLove1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DianeLove1 »

I love mysteries and books about finding clues to something. I would read this book. Seems interesting. I like romance too
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I'm not really into sci-fi books but I have to say, your review is so enthusiastic and well-written that I feel tempted to pick up Death and Disorder: A Vivian Wexler Galactic Mystery. Thank you!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I love action thriller books. Because they're fun to read. Great review
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

kaicastleberry15 wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 12:46 This book is AMAZING. I absolutely love adventure and the new frontier and this book brought it all together for me. If you like mysteries, aliens, space and adventure, this book is for you!
Thanks for commenting!

SarahShebl wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 13:46 I'd like to read this book, as it seems to have a good amount of everything and the story sounds very interesting too. I enjoyed your review very much, very comprehensive and teasing.
I hope you enjoy the book. Thanks for your comment!

Tonze wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 14:30 Usually I don't like sci-fi novels but this one sound to be interesting, I think I will read the book. I enjoyed your review.
I hope you like it as much as I did! Thanks for stopping by.

Joan642 wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 15:26 The storyline is very captivating. I am a big fan of sci-fi novels, and I believe I will really enjoy this one. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for stopping by to comment!

DianeLove1 wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 18:30 I love mysteries and books about finding clues to something. I would read this book. Seems interesting. I like romance too
I hope you enjoy the book! Thanks for commenting.

Dominik_G wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 09:27 I'm not really into sci-fi books but I have to say, your review is so enthusiastic and well-written that I feel tempted to pick up Death and Disorder: A Vivian Wexler Galactic Mystery. Thank you!
Thanks for the compliment and for stopping by!

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 17:24 I love action thriller books. Because they're fun to read. Great review
Thanks for your comment!
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

unamilagra wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 22:00
Star Wars fans, or any lovers of futuristic sci-fi novels, will love this book.

Present and accounted for! :D This book sounds amazing. I love sci-fi and am always amazed at the new ideas and technology dreamed up by sci-fi authors.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Chess! A Beautiful Game for People of All Ages by Sinclair Wilkinson

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

The world-building sounds terrific in this sci-fi thriller novel. I like the fact that it has strong commentaries on relevant societal issues. Great review!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A science fiction mystery that addresses important issues using a future setting to talk about the present seems really terrific. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

I'm a big fan of scfi with a female protagonist! Thanks for yoru detailed review.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

Maconstewart wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 16:00
unamilagra wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 22:00
Star Wars fans, or any lovers of futuristic sci-fi novels, will love this book.

Present and accounted for! :D This book sounds amazing. I love sci-fi and am always amazed at the new ideas and technology dreamed up by sci-fi authors.
It sounds like this book would be a great match for you! I hope you decide to check it out.

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 19:49 The world-building sounds terrific in this sci-fi thriller novel. I like the fact that it has strong commentaries on relevant societal issues. Great review!
Thanks for commenting!

NetMassimo wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 03:34 A science fiction mystery that addresses important issues using a future setting to talk about the present seems really terrific. Thank you for your great review!
Thanks for stopping by to comment!

HannahsReads wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 15:08 I'm a big fan of scfi with a female protagonist! Thanks for yoru detailed review.
This book would be right up your alley! Thanks for your comment!
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

As a big fan of sci-fis as well as romance, I think the mix of both elements in this novel stirs a bit of curiosity in me to seek out this story.

Thank you for a great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”