Game of Thrones Series: Books vs. TV

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lcbauer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Game of Thrones Series: Books vs. TV

Post by lcbauer »

I am currently reading the Game of Thrones Series (I'm on the 2nd book) and I've started watching the television series as well, though I'm not watching ahead of what I'm reading. I'm wondering if there are others that are both reading and watching the series and what do you think about the translation from book to TV?
whero
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whero.html
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by whero »

I thought they translated the books very well. I'm glad they've done it as a TV series too because I don't think they could have done the story justice with a movie. They would have either had to cut huge amounts of story or do at least three movies per book...
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
tstaf4d
Favorite Book: My Name is Memory
Currently Reading: Marcelo in the Real World
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tstaf4d.html

Post by tstaf4d »

I watched the first two episodes before going and getting the books and reading the series. Considering how much I read and how well I keep track of characters, I still struggled keeping all of the characters straight (that is until I realized I should just use the TV series to help me). I think they have done rather well portraying the interesting parts and glossing over the parts that are not so appealing in a media form. I do wish that they would look more to those quiet moments though so the viewers do not have such a drained feeling after every episode. I absolutely love the books and am impatiently waiting for the series to wrap up so I can go back and watch the TV series and see if they picked up on some of the underlying plots.
"Words are heavy" The Book Thief
louisemwilcox13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louisemwilcox13.html

Post by louisemwilcox13 »

I think that they have done a good job keeping the main elements of the books in the show while excising the parts that are not really necessary. I feel that the actors and actresses have done an excellent job encapsulating the characters personalities and making them feel real and honest.
audreyrose

Post by audreyrose »

After the first season was over on TV I had to get the books. They did a great job, not amazing, but great.
There were some parts that left me a little cheated out of a great show, scenes that theyjust didn't do justice for lack of time I would say. The not-so-main cahracters and little understories are glossed over a lot as well, but thats the hazard of any book-to-movie deal. The characters are all portrayed to the tee and the show really helps keep them in line while reading, there are a lot of different things to keep track of and it can be a bit complicated and overwhelming at some points but the show helps you get a good foundaton of the family lines and a good visual for who's who. All in all it has become one of my all time top series and has a spot on my special book shelf. Keep reading, it's definitely worth it. :roll:
ddane24
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddane24.html

Post by ddane24 »

Before i watch the tv version of the game of thrones, i make sure to read first the entire book, to fully understand it. For me, game of thrones is mich better in books compared to tv. Because every detail is highlighted although tv is also ok for it act out your imagination, but still books for me is the beat
donholbrook
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by donholbrook »

I agree that the series is much better on television... it would be very difficult to tell this deep of a story in a normal film format.
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

I am posting this as I re-watch the Game of Thrones Series. Because I am in love with the show, and at my husband's request, I am reading each book after the seasons have aired so I have only read two books so far, since the third season was only half of the third book. I love both! Since I am reading each book after the season has aired, I am able to appreciate the show for what it is and "fill in the gaps" as I read each book. So far I think HBO has done an amazing job with translating the story but the books will always win out. A series was the smartest decision made regarding translating this series from page to screen. The books are huge and the book series isn't even finished! I am looking forward to finally reading the third book once the fourth season has aired. I usually always choose to read the book before seeing any translation to film but in this case I'm making an exception and I am able to fully enjoy the show! New season coming soon.
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
mrsjmaeg

Post by mrsjmaeg »

The TV series has been a huge hit for my husband and I. I have not read the series yet but I have been wanting to. From all the reviews I've read and what I've heard it is definitely a series I'm interested in reading.
dcolby

Post by dcolby »

I am the type of person who is usually disappointed with movies or shows based on books. But I have to say I am very happy with the television series. However I prefer the books, I just really enjoy getting lost in what I am reading. I began watching the tv series before I realised it was a book series. I purchased the box set immediately and did not put it down. I still have yet to decide if I'm going to watch the up coming season or wait anxiously for the next book.
A-A-Lusk

Post by A-A-Lusk »

I have read all of the books (well at least the ones up until A Dance with Dragons, the last one George R.R. Martin has had published), and then I watched the TV series. I was absolutely impressed with the choice of characters they chose to make the characters in the book come to life. In my mind while reading the books, Martins description of these different characters come to life and now I sit patiently waiting for the next season to begin (even though I already know what will happen LOL), still I can't wait and I wished I had watched and read at the same time only because the likeness you find between the characters in the book and the actors portraying these characters is so intense and unbelievably real!
claire mckay
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-mckay.html
Latest Review: "The M-Word" by Josephine Stine

Post by claire mckay »

Love the TV series especially Tyrion and can't imagine the book version of him is better but sounds like worth a read!
Latest Review: "The M-Word" by Josephine Stine
TheBreeAnn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebreeann.html

Post by TheBreeAnn »

I have to admit that Game of Thrones was a first for me. I've never enjoyed a film/tv adaptation more than a book, and I have to admit that I think HBO did a better job bringing the series to life than the writer did. There was just something about his writing style that put me off from it. It seemed less elegant than the series required.
kavayee

Post by kavayee »

Do you recommend to read books even if I've already watched TV series?
ConnectiveStardust
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-connectivestardust.html

Post by ConnectiveStardust »

I loved Littlefinger in the books and I feel that they have butchered his character in the show. The constant placement of him with whores and prostitutes is there simply to get the nudity on t.v while ignoring the damage it does to his character.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”