Official Review: Exiles of Eden by Kyle Fox

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Official Review: Exiles of Eden by Kyle Fox

Post by Elvis Best »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Exiles of Eden" by Kyle Fox.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Exiles of Eden, written by Kyle Fox, is a dark fantasy novel that revolves around smugglers, inventors, assassins, wealthy businessmen, and angels. Set in the lawless city of Del Saunt, the novel follows the lives of several characters. Firstly, Vincent Durante is a smuggler who was recently hired by Albert Leighrein, a wealthy businessman, for a job that turned into an awful disaster.

Secondly, Arne Adalhart is an ambitious and devout scout for the Luciya royal family. Thirdly, Elicia is a ruthless spy and assassin who works as a mercenary for the Luciya royal family. Fourthly, Isabella Charbonneau is the daughter of Maurice, one of the wealthiest men in Del Haunt. And lastly, Mea Shippton is a young albino girl who works as Isabella’s maid. Among all these characters, there is a dark prophecy that connects all of them. So, will this prophecy bring forth their inevitable doom? You have to read the book to find out.

The one thing I liked most about Exiles of Eden was how the action scenes were described. They were so vivid and engaging, and I only had to use my imagination to fill in the little gaps. Often, I reread the action scenes, as I enjoyed them so much. I can only imagine how much work the author had to put into writing these dreamlike, vivid scenes.

Furthermore, I enjoyed the philosophical nature of the book, as some of the characters spoke truths that resonated with me. Indeed, I enjoyed the dialogue between Eugene, an inventor, and Ezrea, a pinioned angel, as they discussed deep philosophical topics.

Nonetheless, I had issues with the book. The pace was very slow, and that made it boring at times. Also, the plot was quite complicated, and I had to make sense of the book on my own. This is the kind of book in which the reader is not offered a straightforward plot but is instead offered loose information that they have to tie together to understand the bigger picture. In essence, it gives the reader a little bit of ownership over the story and makes it more enjoyable.

However, I felt the author overdid it with that strategy, and so I had to work extra hard just to understand the book. Consequently, I have decided to take a star from the rating, and so I rate Exiles of Eden 3 out of 4 stars. I did not rate it lower because of the aforementioned positive attributes of the book. Also, I believe it was exceptionally edited, as I found no errors in it. Finally, I would recommend it to lovers of dark fantasy novels.

Exiles of Eden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

The scenes described by the author seems to be of high quality. The review was a good one as well.
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

I liked that the book seems to trap readers in its world of fantasy. Nice review!
Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD

Post by Rashida10 »

This book seems to portray quite a bit of all trades. The author must be a very sensational writer. I enjoyed your review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I would love to read this one even despite all the issues you mentioned above :) Sounds like a fascinating read, especially considering there are angels among the characters! Thanks for this insightful review!
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

What a well written review! Not sure this is a book for me though.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Nice review, Elvis. I like reading dark fantasy novels.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

This sounds like one of those books that you understand more and more after the second or third read through of it. Thanks for reviewing. It sounds interesting
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Working to understand the book doesn't sound like an enjoyable leisure read to me. Plus, this one might be a bit dark. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Suesea
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suesea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Suesea »

It does sound a bit complicated, but nothing good is every easy, right? The fact that you still came close to giving in 4 stars makes me want to try the book out. I love dark fantasy novels and novels that take me on a grand adventure. I hope the author is good at building characters. That is crucial for an enjoyable read.
Your review was thoughtful and helpful in that it made me decide to put this book on my "Want to Read" shelf.

Thanks for that.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems the kind of novel suitable for people who like to think about the ideas developed in it, so the slow pace help them to get all the details. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

Despite the complication concerning the story-telling, this still sounds like a wonderful read that I am definitely adding to my shelves. Thank you for a thorough review of Exiles of Eden.
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your descriptions of the main characters and how they play a role in the dark prophecy. You have me intrigued, despite the slow pacing and complicated plot. This is a well-written review that hooks readers! Great writing!
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

I love dark fantasy novels, and this review shows that this book will be intriguing. Nice review though.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I am not into dark fantasies. However, you have done a splendid job writing this review. Thanks!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”