Unusual fantasy recommendations?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
eahdel
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eahdel.html

Re: Unusual fantasy recommendations?

Post by eahdel »

One fiction series that I read and couldn't put down (which is saying a lot since I don't read fiction often) is the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. I read the first book (13 total) in 2 days because I just couldn't stop! Excellent character development and stories. It is a young adult series, but I think it can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of age.
pagenumber394
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pagenumber394.html

Post by pagenumber394 »

Leviathan wakes is a space opera. I loved this book. It was a ride that for not stop. It was also creepy. The lunar chronicles is also great. It exceed my expectations. I hear that the mist born books are great.
Gupta
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: The Ocean at the End of the Lane
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Gupta »

I will second the Discworld books. They're easy reads, and they're hilarious.

Also, I'd recommend Neil Gaiman. Most of his stories feature folklore from all across the planet. American Gods has Egyptian deities and Anansi Boys is African folklore. The Ocean east the End of the Lane is a grown-up fairytale; I can't recommend this one enough.

Happy reading!
DontForget2BAwesome

Post by DontForget2BAwesome »

One of my favorite fantasy series is "Everworld" by K. A. Applegate. It about these teenagers that get pulled into an alternate dimension where there is a high chance of dying. Whenever they fall asleep, they switch back to their own world, or the parallel world, depending on where they fell asleep. There are swords and magic, but the story is definitely not a traditional fantasy series.

If you haven't read the "Mortal Instruments" series by Cassandra Claire, you might enjoy that as well.
MF1983
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mf1983.html

Post by MF1983 »

It wasn't particularly my cup of tea, but The Bookof Lost Things was very unusual. I know several people who read it and adored it.
JHeileman
Favorite Author: Kim Harrison
Favorite Book: Hollows Series
Currently Reading: Expected Returns On Major Asset Classes
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jheileman.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4193

Post by JHeileman »

I recently fell into Karen Marie Moning's Fever Series. It has a modern feel to it with action and magic making you excited to read more and unable to wait for the next book. It contains creature never heard of, as well as Fae, which are quite common, but it's also mixed with a lot of reality and human perspective that make it possible to believe it's all happening right now, and that you're part of this world, which also happens to be theirs. Watch out because you might start believing in make believe again.
scifinut

Post by scifinut »

I loved Jo Walton's:
Tooth and Claw (Written in the style of a Victorian romance - but the characters are DRAGONS)
Among Others (A young girl's coming of age story as she learns to accept her ability to do magic)

and
Connie Willis's:
Doomsday Book (What if you could travel back in time - and due to a technical error ended up in 1348 - the time of the Black Plague?)
Lincoln's Dreams (A young woman with vivid disturbing dreams is being treated for psychiatric problems until a historical researcher realizes that she is actually reliving the Civil War through the dreams of General Lee.)
larney41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larney41.html

Post by larney41 »

definitely Discworld, also October Daye and Incryptid series by Seanan McGuire, and Kraken by China Mieville is probably the most unusual fantasy book I have ever read.
booksboomer

Post by booksboomer »

I think you would enjoy the book The Night Circus. It doesnt have any paranormal creatures, but explains the relationships between mugicians who do more then what is seen by common eyes. The have Abilities that set them apart from others. They are each involved in a game that will prove who the most powerful mugician is.

(and there is a little romance too!)
snowrivver
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Favorite Book: Thief of Time - Pratchett
Currently Reading: Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowrivver.html
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by snowrivver »

I know Jim Butcher has been mentioned in relation to the Dresden Files, but have you had a look at The Codex Alera? It isn't your usual sword and sorcery book, but it does have swords in it. There are four main races, all of which have their own unique take on life in Alera, and a magic system based around 'furies'. The furies are essentially spirits of the elements and each have their elemental strengths and weaknesses, so a wind fury, for example, can be hurt by throwing dirt at them. The story follows a young man called Tavi who is the only person in his uncles steadholt who has come of age and hasn't attracted a fury companion of his own. The series is seven books long and starts with The Furies of Calderon.
Indhira_Me
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indhira-me.html

Post by Indhira_Me »

The Malediction Trilogy #1 - Stolen Songbird.
Only the first part in the trilogy is released so far. But I found it very well written. The fantasy world is so beautiful and the book centers around TROLLS (yes, you heard it right!). This is definitely a unique spin on fantasy. So far we have forever seen trolls as despicable ugly creatures and always as villians. But in this series, trolls are the main characters (even the hero is an troll) but of course the heroine is an human. I will not give away anything more yet. But I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did :)
tamara_mc41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-mc41.html

Post by tamara_mc41 »

well I know of a book that gives the word zombie a whole new look.
you should check out the white rabbit chronicles.
she takes zombies and turns them in to a spirt form that only a selct few people can see and fight.

also "the midnighters trilogy" has some really cool themes in it and crazy monsters (and a form of witch craft)
and "Abarat" has the most original characters and worlds you will ever read about.
OsakaBomb
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakabomb.html

Post by OsakaBomb »

I would recommend The Lotus War series by Jay Kristoff, if you haven't read that one already. At it's core, it's a steampunk book, but it has some fantasy elements that have been getting progressively stronger. So it has a good mix of more earthly fantastical worlds, but with some old world fantasy flair as well. What sets it apart for me is that it's fantasy based on feudal Japanese culture as opposed to Medieval European culture. As much as I love the traditional, Medieval European-based fantasy, it's refreshing to see fantasy based on a different set of cultural aspects and mythology. I highly recommend this one!

Which reminds me, the third book came out fairly recently, I believe. I need to get my hands on it.
librarydancer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-librarydancer.html

Post by librarydancer »

An alternative world/fantasy series that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card. I'm not as fond of the later books in the series, but the early ones include American Indian tales, folklore, and early American history. Thoughtful and extremely interesting.
andthemusicfades
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkein
Favorite Book: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Currently Reading: Subject Seven
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andthemusicfades.html
fav_author_id: 12163

Post by andthemusicfades »

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas is an amazing fantasy. There's magic, but its not your typical Harry Potter-style magic at all. Its more of a dark, demon-world, pagan magic. The main character is an assassin, so there's action, as well as a bit of romance sprinkled throughout. Definitely worth your time, and I believe the last book just came out.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”