Unusual fantasy recommendations?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wordforawhile
Favorite Author: Robert Jordan
Currently Reading: Darkfall
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordforawhile.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
fav_author_id: 2419

Re: Unusual fantasy recommendations?

Post by Wordforawhile »

I will always respond to this kind of request with 2 series, both by Brandon Sanderson. The first is the Mistborn Trilogy, this series has magic but it is cast by drawing on certain types of metal,and while it is a fantasy series it hits on many other genres as well. The first book, for instance, can more accurately be described as a political thriller. The other series is called the Stormlight Archives, and is more military/dystopian then anything else. Hope this helps!
Solinarious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Solinarious »

I realize this goes against the original premise stated by the OP; though I feel I have to suggest it for it's nothing like your usual 'orc' story: Grunts! By Mary Gentle.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Wordforawhile wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 12:38 I will always respond to this kind of request with 2 series, both by Brandon Sanderson. The first is the Mistborn Trilogy, this series has magic but it is cast by drawing on certain types of metal,and while it is a fantasy series it hits on many other genres as well. The first book, for instance, can more accurately be described as a political thriller. The other series is called the Stormlight Archives, and is more military/dystopian then anything else. Hope this helps!
Thanks for this recommendation! I've heard of this author. I'd also like to read more fantasy, but wanted something beyond the cliches. These books look like just the thing.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Post by Honeybeetle »

For those who like dragons, I really enjoyed Naomi Novik's "His Majesty's Dragon" series. I'd describe it as "Master and Commander," but with dragons. Dragons don't have one rider, but a full crew, and the story takes place in an alternate version of the Napoleonic Wars.

Another unusual one I read recently and enjoyed was Ian Tregellis' "Mechanical" trilogy, which takes place in an alternate 1920s where the Netherlands are a global superpower and use clockwork servants for pretty much everything. France is the only nation left to fight back against them (the United States never existed in this timeline, which I thought was interesting). The story follows an escaped clockwork servant, and every time you think he couldn't possibly get into deeper trouble, he does. It's thrilling, and brutally violent at times.
Holler about books on Twitter with me @DextroColeo! :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”