Official Review: Evolution's Edge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Official Review: Evolution's Edge

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Evolution's Edge" by J.K. Pascall , Aaron E. Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Man is a product of his dominant thoughts and emotions." This quote summarizes the core message of Evolution's Edge by J. K. Pascall and Aaron E. Davis.

Evolution's Edge is a book set in a parallel universe — a sphere made up of consciousness, and everything is built on the reader's imagination. Beings in that universe were created by massive waves of mental or emotional energy — love, hate, anger, and fear.

Cheveyo is a sub-conscious being, a leader of Intenebu, a "Podium" (a type of warrior class born of a strong hate emotion). In the bid to destroy Kevaughn, a human who he considers a threat to his clan and civilization, Cheveyo gets trapped in Kevaughn's mind. To live, he has to form a sort of alliance with Kevaughn. Would he agree to work with a mere human or find a way to destroy them both due to arrogance and pomposity?

The setting of the book is unique. It is a blend of two separate worlds — the third dimension and the subconscious plane. The reader will have to engage their imagination to flow with the narrative.

The plot of the book is not also typical; there were some elements of uniqueness in the storyline. At first, the sequence of events was not what I would call suspenseful, but I was glued to the book, not wanting to miss any detail as the story progressed.

The book is filled with figurative expressions, especially the use of personification. The authors managed to attribute life to an object as lifeless as death effectively. With the proper use of figurative language, the authors fed my imagination.

The authors were very detailed in their descriptions of the characters. They made a clear-cut distinction between the characters. Each character so stood out of the pack with their unique personality that I could easily picture what they looked like. An example would be when Cheveyo appeared. He always wore a cloak of darkness that moved around his body with an invisible wind. He also had the copper-colored skin. With a description like this, one could relate to Cheveyo's role in the plot.

My best feature was the writers' dictions. Not many authors can manage to keep up with the flow of words and lexicon. It shows that the authors did their research well and managed to create an imaginary world effectively.

Although I loved the authors' detailed descriptive narrations, some were overly done, especially the battle scenes. Also, I found a few grammatical errors. However, they weren't enough to fault the professional editing of the book. Therefore, I rate this book four out of four stars. I recommend it to readers who love science-fictional stories.

Evolution's Edge
View: on Bookshelves
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Our subconscious is consciously who we are.
jardenjarden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jardenjarden.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by jardenjarden »

Having a world purely based on one's own subconscious sounds like a very interesting, and unique concept. Thanks for your review!
Clemence_2020
Currently Reading: The Penguin Book of Women Poets
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clemence-2020.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Clemence_2020 »

Our subconscious mind is like a power house for all the things we do. Having a book written from that perspective is very interesting. Thanks for the well written review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel has really intriguing premises and a development that makes me want to read it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

The authors have done a great deal of effort with their world-building and character descriptions. This sounds like a very interesting and novel reading experience. Thanks for the honest and thorough review!
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

I have to say, I was a bit confused by the reported plot, but in all, this sounds like quite a read. Great work on the review.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Not sure this is the kind of book I would pick, however,it sounds quite interesting. Great review!
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

I love the idea of parallel universes, but it seems like the book will focus more on abstract details. I think I might try it out. Thanks for a well-written review.
Susanna83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susanna83.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Gray Area by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Susanna83 »

I am currently reading this book, and I had to come check reviews if I have understood the plot correctly. I have also noticed that there is the idea of parallel universes, but the book is more focused on abstract details.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”