Artemis fowl vs Percy Jackson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bailers77
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Currently Reading: The Scorch Trials
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bailers77.html
fav_author_id: 5284

Re: Artemis fowl vs Percy Jackson

Post by Bailers77 »

I personally got bored with Artemis Fowl after the first couple chapters where as Percy Jackson grabbed my attention on the first page back in middle school and still has a grip on me six years later as we approach the release of the final book.
Scorsee
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scorsee.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Scorsee »

I really loved the Artemis Fowl books when I was younger and still find them entertaining :) I haven't read much of Percy Jackson, but it does seem to have a stronger mythological basis.
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” -Albus Dumbledore
acasto
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 85">King's Warrior</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acasto.html
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford

Post by acasto »

If the mythology is what you want, I would start with Percy Jackson. Artemis Fowl is much more sci-fi/fantasy. It does however have alot of mythology details.
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by kismoody »

I would start with Percy Jackson. It's a great introduction to mythology while still keeping a fast-paced adventure going. Artemis Fowl was great, but it bogs down in a few places in the plot, especially as you get into later books.
whitewing2611
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Wintersmith - Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: The Sleeping Beauty - Mercedes Lackey
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitewing2611.html
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by whitewing2611 »

Ive read up to Opal Deception from the Artemis Fowl series and its not about mythology. He only has the name of a Greek god. This book series is about Fairies. I really enjoyed Percy Jackson. I found the writing style better than Artemis Fowl.
voraciousreader
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-voraciousreader.html

Post by voraciousreader »

The author of Percy Jackson also has another series, The Kane Chronicles. If you like Artemis Fowl, you may want to explore the Phillip Pullman series, His Dark Materials.
lavinia_mesia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavinia-mesia.html

Post by lavinia_mesia »

Percy Jackson all the way! The knowledge of Greek Mythology is now well known because of this series.
Diegosmom34

Post by Diegosmom34 »

I havent had the chance to read Artemis Fowl yet but i am a big fan of the Percy Jackson novels.
Elliephant

Post by Elliephant »

Both are very good, but I think that Percy Jackson is more engaging possibly because of the way it is written.
Ayakashi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayakashi.html

Post by Ayakashi »

if you want characters you don't want to constantly bash over the head with the book they are in, read Artemis. He's a smart kid who is actually SMART. it's got good fantasy elements, but also some MINOR sci-fi aspects, and, while it's not really mythology, its way better done, and all future books are engaging and interesting with mostly unique plotlines. as long as you read the first, you can pretty much read the others in whatever order, because they are very good at giving you important details.

on the other hand, the first Percy was fine, and then they went down hill. the later series, like the Kane chronicles and the sequel series were much better over all. It sticks a lot better to mythological facts and plots, with nice little twists but somehow it's just too . . . predictable. and I really want to bash the characters for making obvious blunders.
Sage Savage

Post by Sage Savage »

I have been reading a bunch of Percy Jackson books but this was by far the least interesting. I was not amused by this book at all.
Svraka
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20728">The Little Prince</a>
Currently Reading: Scouting for the Reaper
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Svraka »

I really loved Artemis Fowl because of the characters and the setting but really it comes down to the type of book you enjoy more: Percy Jackson is more of a classic YA adventure with a focus on Greek mythology and the dynamics between characters whereas Artemis is focused on classic Irish Fae mythology.
AF is also a little more genre bending, I cant remember a YA novel I read that was like Artemis Fowl- especially because Artemis was not always the good guy, depending on the character the perspective switched to you could see how Artemis was more of a grey area in terms of his actions and motives.
Granted, I havent read AF in a long time but thats my two cents on the whole thing 😁
If you want to read something really unique and different I suggest AF, if you want a more linear classic YA adventure with a Greek twist, try Percy Jackson!
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I only read Artemis, but now I'll have to start Percy books too. But I loved Colfer's books. For me, they did get worse with sequels, but the first three are some of my favorite books.
Lysander99
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lysander99.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Lysander99 »

It really depends on what you are looking to read first. Eoin Colfer's Artemis Foul Series is a Sci-Fi & Fantasy series that stresses the protagonist's intellectual capabilities and his ability to calculate accurately the best thing to do in any given magical or fantastical situation. If you think that you want to read that kind of series now then read this series first.

Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson & the Olympians Series is Fantasy series that focuses on an epic heroic quest that reveals the true nature of the characters and their ties to old historical mythology in modern times with a distinctive teen adult setting. The physical combat and magical destruction in this book is on an epic anime level. So much so that you would enjoy seeing more of the books made into film. If you think that you want to read that kind of series now then read this series first.

Me personally I would read Artemis first and then Percy Jackson as i would get more fun out of the Percy Jackson Series if i read Artemis first.
Lolipopking420

Post by Lolipopking420 »

The percy jackson and the olympians is a very good fantasy books series and rick riordan is a very good story teller i also love his other books

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”