Official Review: SKELLIG: The Tales Of Conor Archer, vol. 2

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eric Morris
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Other Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacnthabox.html
Latest Review: Acts of the Shaddai by Anthony Jones
fav_author_id: 4040

Official Review: SKELLIG: The Tales Of Conor Archer, vol. 2

Post by Eric Morris »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "SKELLIG: The Tales Of Conor Archer, vol. 2" by E. R. Barr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Skellig: The Tales of Conor Archer, Vol. 2, is bestselling author E.R. Barr’s follow-up to his debut novel, Roan. Roan became an instant favorite of mine and a go-to suggestion for anyone looking to read an original fantasy novel. If there was any undue pressure on Barr to live up to the high standard he set with his first book, he certainly did not indicate as much in Skellig; it is without question as good as its predecessor, and the author’s style of storytelling makes reading this sequel feel akin to reconnecting with an old friend. Should the author continue this series, the saga of Conor Archer has the potential to become a multigenerational favorite for years to come.

Skellig picks up directly after the events in Roan. Conor is sent to Ireland from Wisconsin to be closer to his family and learn more about his lineage. He quickly learns that his previous encounters in Wisconsin are but precursors to a much bigger and more sinister plot; Conor and his companions, both new and established, are the primary players in a game where the fate of humanity hangs in the balance. Two worlds separated since the War in Heaven are converging, and it is up to Conor’s band of heroes to prevent the dark forces of the Otherworld, great monsters of myth and legend, from once again terrorizing the material world. Led by Conor, his friend and Champion Jace, and his faithful dog Troubles, this small group of fae, selkies, long-dead Irish clergy, a changeling, and maybe even a seraph, will be forced to sacrifice all to fight ancient evils and ensure the safety of mankind.

I cannot say enough good things about this series. Just as Roan immersed the reader in Native American folklore, Skellig sends the reader headlong into the deep-rooted Irish and Celtic mythos that have seeped into so much of our modern stories and traditions. Mr. Barr has an incredible wealth of knowledge not only about the legendary history of the Irish people but how it is intertwined with Western Christian faiths. As such, I believe my favorite aspect of Barr’s style is his ability to explain these unfamiliar stories and legends through compelling narrative and dialogue without making the story seem like a lecture on myth and religion. Moreover, I found myself several times researching Barr’s assertions only to find that his retelling of the old Irish tales was complete and unmodified. This is extremely important for a book’s historical authenticity, even if the “history” is based around folklore.

The only mark against Skellig is its trace amount of editing issues. One issue is the frequent, random capitalization of the letter ‘I’; I believe this is more of a formatting issue in the Kindle file, but it needs to be fixed nonetheless. There is also a time-jump issue as the chapters are labeled with days and dates, and the dates become out of sequence for a chapter. These errors are not enough to make me think that the book was not professionally edited; Skellig is a 412-page book, and in that context, such trivial mistakes are only minor grievances. The only other item of note that stuck out to me in a major way is the amount of profanity in the novel. To be fair, there is not an inordinate amount of foul language, but if memory serves me, it is significantly more than what was in Roan. The language didn’t turn me off to the book, and I know the Irish are a colorful bunch; still, I mention it as it may be a point of contention for other readers.

Skellig: The Tales of Conor Archer, Vol. 2, has easily earned 4 out of 4 Stars. The novel is fast-paced and compelling, and even at 400-plus pages, it contains no filler. Mr. Barr is able to educate the reader on Irish culture while never taking his foot off the gas. If Rick Riordan were to craft a series for adults, it would be The Tales of Conor Archer; that being said, I’d put my money on Conor over Percy Jackson any day. If you are a fan of epic or urban fantasy, pick up a copy of Roan today and know that when you finish, Skellig is waiting.

SKELLIG: The Tales Of Conor Archer, vol. 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tell me something...You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

As a read your review, my mind was jumping back to the nights I sat up reading Percy Jackson. This definitely sounds like a series that I would enjoy. It is rare that an author can write a fantastic first book, and then ensure that the second book is just as good. Thank you for a great review! I will be sure to give Roan a try.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
HusainNecklace52
Favorite Book: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto
Currently Reading: A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husainnecklace52.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HusainNecklace52 »

Wow! This review makes me want to read the book at this very instant!
Thanks for sharing, I will definitely have a look at the book. :D
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This really seems an excellent fantasy novel though I didn't really get the reference because I never read Percy Jackson's stories. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Thanks for the detailed review. I already love the story. Hoping to read the book anytime soon.
robcarr
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by robcarr »

Priyanka2304 wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 12:41 Thanks for the detailed review. I already love the story. Hoping to read the book anytime soon.
Same here. I really want to read this book now. Super excited after reading this review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”