Official Review: The Isle of Fire and Ice by PJ Thompson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Official Review: The Isle of Fire and Ice by PJ Thompson

Post by Delaney35 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Isle of Fire and Ice" by PJ Thompson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Isle of Fire and Ice by PJ Thompson is a fantasy adventure that spans a diverse world. It starts with the character of Dare, a young drudge, who was determined to escape his master. He wanted to leave and travel to the place he believed his family was born. However, a bit after his escape, he bumped into Bar, the son of an evil king. Dare attempts to help Bar, not knowing he was the prince. However, the two are captured by the guards that had been chasing Bar, and Dare learns Bar’s true identity. The young servant and the prince, though from different backgrounds, soon learn they have much in common and are tied together by an ancient prophecy.

The main characters in this book were well-developed. Both Bar and Dare had interesting backstories, and they each changed throughout the book. There was also a diverse cast of secondary characters, many of which were well-developed. However, at times, it was a bit hard to keep track of who everyone was. The characters moved around from location to location, and each place brought a new cast of characters, so it was a bit tricky to keep them all straight.

The editing of this book was amazing. I only noticed one tiny punctuation issue. It appeared to have been professionally edited.

The writing style was also excellent. The characters traveled a lot, so there was a multitude of different locations. Each was described with precise language that painted a picture in my head. I was never unsure of what the different locations looked like because Thompson used vivid language to bring each of them to life. The stunning descriptions were my favorite part of this novel.

The only part of this book I disliked was the pacing. At times, it flew, and a lot happened in very little space. The beginning moved quickly. However, there were times when it seemed as though nothing was happening. In the middle of the book, it felt as though the characters were just moving from place to place, and nothing else was happening.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I am taking away a star because of the pacing. The pacing aside, I think all the other elements of the book were excellent. Everything worked together to create a whole world filled with interesting characters and a looming threat. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a fantasy adventure to read.

The Isle of Fire and Ice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel seems to have great story and characters, so I can deal with an uneven pacing. I see that this is the first book of a series, so I'll look into it. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I understand the problem with pacing. It seems to be common, especially with newer authors, to have a lot of activity at the beginning and end, but a bog of slowness in the middle. :D
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I'd love to learn more about Bar and Dare, and the ancient prophecy that ties them together. I bet it will be an interesting read. Thanks for the awesome review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

This sounds like a very exciting and adventurous book. I look forward to reading it thanks to your review!
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

With pacing, I can cope for a book high on adventure.
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

This is right up my alley. After all, a little adventure never hurts. Thank you for your insightful review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

Dare’s story seems to be quite the adventure. I think it’s a read I will enjoy.
Thank you for the great review.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This seems like an excellent book to introduce readers to the fantasy genre. It has all the hallmarks of traditional fantasy while seeming reader friendly and very descriptive. Excellent review.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

It sounds like a perfect dose of magic and fantasy to me! :D Thank you for such a detailed and inviting review :D
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Thanks for the review. Books about traveling have a gripping effect on the reader and pin them to the last page. Hope I too find it interesting.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

I love when an author has written well and is very descriptive so I’m sure I’d enjoy this book. Thank you for the great review.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

I think the plot of the story is worth the uneven pacing. This seems like a great book to read! I can't wait to read.
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

The storyline is great and I bet the pacing won't be a problem for me. I would love to know more about this ancient prophecy. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”