Official Review: The Bonding by A.J. Peters

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Official Review: The Bonding by A.J. Peters

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bonding" by A.J. Peters.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." This quote was culled from Edmund Burke's letter to Thomas Mercer. It was the premise on which A. J. Peters wrote this exciting sci-fi thriller, The Bonding.

For ten generations, Malove, the leader of the evil Malofacere clan, had tried to establish himself as the ruler of Haleyen. He planned to give room for evil to take over the populace. However, he needed to cut short the lineage of kings instituted by the Antecederes. He wormed his way to becoming the advisor of King Wisiam and ensured that the king had no heir. According to the law, he would temporarily become the ruler pending when the Antecederes chose a new lineage through the True Post.

Meanwhile, Malove had unleashed some evil beasts with venoms to attack some of the villages. Unknown to him, the king had twin children from a woman. This information was kept a secret between the king and the leader of the Antecederes, Tratare. When the king was about to die, he used his last strength to split the realm into two worlds. It would take the coming together of the king's children and Tratare's son to reunite the worlds and eradicate evil. There was a big challenge: the trio got trapped on different sides of the divide. How would they come together to save the world from utter destruction?

My impression of The Bonding was a book that depicted the constant battles that have been going on between good and evil. The truth is that I've known about these battles for as long as I've been able to articulate my thoughts. These battles date back to the origin of man. From the beginning, evil had always fought to overcome good so that the world would be ruled by darkness. However, good still prevailed, though it most times involved lots of sacrifices and hard decisions. So, if you're as fascinated by saving-the-world stories as I am, you would find this book an exciting read. The author did an excellent job of bringing together all the elements that make these kinds of stories worth reading. I felt the fear, the pain, the betrayal, and the hope for a savior that might not be forthcoming. The emotions elicited by this book would keep the reader glued to it from start to finish. There were elements of magic and the metaphysical.

What I liked most about this book was the great job the author did in developing the characters. Peters created characters that were real and relatable. Every character was distinct in their role and involvement in the overall plot. Though this book was laden with many characters, I could almost make a comprehensive list of all the characters by heart. He built unique personalities around each character that made their roles come to life. I liked that he found a way to connect the characters, thereby making them relevant to the plot.

I did enjoy the way the author moved from the present to the past and back. He made the journey smooth and seamless. Each backstory was strategic and detailed. The beautiful thing about the transitions was that he always carried me along. Even when the switch came in between a line of thought, I wasn't taken aback — I saw it coming. This showed that the author put deep thought into the reader's enjoyment of the book. I commend his thoughtfulness.

I was impressed that I couldn't find anything that I disliked about this book. The writing was on point, and the editing was professional. I rate this book four out of four stars. As earlier stated, lovers of saving-the-world stories would have a swell time reading this book.

The Bonding
View: on Bookshelves
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The premise is possibly the oldest in the world, but it seems well developed with interesting characters that create engagement. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Seems like an engaging book with great characters. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the great review!
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

I love the concept of good vs evil, light against the darkness that this book seems to go into detail about. The story seems very interesting and with awesome characters. Nice review!
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

This sounds like such an exciting story with a strong narrative! A battle between good and evil sounds like such a fun premise for a story. Awesome review!
Chimdi_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdi-3.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Chimdi_3 »

Nice review.This is an intriguing story of good against evil. I am sure it will keep a reader captivated till the end.
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I love well developed characters, I think I'll love this one. Great review!
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Good versus evil. Concept is old. But the story is fresh. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”