The Hunger Games- Suzanne Collins (Discussion)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jessbo321
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessbo321.html

Re: The Hunger Games- Suzanne Collins (Discussion)

Post by Jessbo321 »

It seemed that the third book did drag in certain sections, and it seemed more sci-fi than the first two books. However, it did wrap everything up very well and I loved the ending. Catching Fire is definitely my favorite of the series because of the pace and it flowed so well... I didn't put it down until I had finished!
Lust_for_Literature
Currently Reading: A Feast For Crows
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Lust_for_Literature »

I truly enjoyed Katniss and Peeta's relationship -a sort of gender role reversal in that she gets to be the aloof and unsociable mystique (not to mention her weapon skills) while he takes on the more domestic, bread-baking persona. Sigh. The end of the series was much better than I had expected and all in all, these books constitute a decent YA genre read.
aliceee
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceee.html

Post by aliceee »

The first book is definitely my favourite - I remember my eyes getting really sore but just couldn't put it down. I cried for several times reading it, especially when Katniss volunteered for Prim. I also loved the col humour here and there, it lightens the emotion a bit, but again, feel more heart breaking afterwards. The second and third book isn't as good, I feel like some of the parts aren't significant. There's too much hesitation on whether to rebel or not and who to trust, I'm not saying it should be fairly straightforward, but I think Katniss isn't a character who hesitates that much. It is also hard to understand what they are trying to do.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

The third book was by far my favorite. Most people seem to have a preference for the first two, and I agree that the third was a departure from its predecessors. But that's what made it so exciting. 1984 by George Orwell is one of my all-time favorite books, so the third book just really resonated with me. I liked the chaos and the fact that all the buildup from the first two books really came to a point of such high stakes! I remember not wanting to put it down. I just hope that the last movie is able to capture the book's intensity.
Snowkait
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowkait.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Snowkait »

I like Hunger Games as well, the books were amazing. I loved Catching Fire, but the cliff hanger had me throwing the book across the room. I loves mockingjay, i think it might be my favorite, because it showed the serious struggle between everyone of the characters. I do have to say though, i am disapointed in the movies a bit. I mean, they were good, but they made the main focus more of the love story, when in all reality the books are about children killing children and gruesome horrible society.
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

Like most of the books on my "already read" list, I was introduced to this book after the release of the first film. Just to get it out of the way, of course all of the books were better than any of the movies. My personal favorite novel was Catching Fire. I absolutely loved the idea for that arena! I enjoyed meeting the other victors from previous years and reading as the whole back story unraveled. I disagree that the series flopped with the third book. I was hooked all the way through wanting to see how it was all going to end. Honestly, my biggest disappointments were the death of Prim and that Katniss married Peeta. The hopeless romantic in me wanted to see Katniss with Gale of course! At the same time, I respect that it was never a story of happy endings, so the ending that was written kept to the feel of the whole trilogy.
ChelseaMenjivar
Currently Reading: The Blue Bistro
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelseamenjivar.html
Latest Review: "Trails of the Heat" by Anthony W. Antolic

Post by ChelseaMenjivar »

I really enjoyed each of the books for different reasons. The first pulls you into the world the people of Panem live in. Collins did an amazing job setting the stage for the entire series. When beginning the second book I had no idea what to expect, so I had a complete open mind about it. Somehow still she surprised with the twists she through in. I really like that about this book. The suspense, the not knowing what was going to happen, everything about it. So I would have to say this one was my favorite. However, I did love the way the third book brought the whole story to a close. I couldn't have thought of a better ending. No happily ever after, but how could there be a happily ever after in a series like this?
Latest Review: "Trails of the Heat" by Anthony W. Antolic
lourdesinwonderland
Currently Reading: The Dark Half
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lourdesinwonderland.html

Post by lourdesinwonderland »

I read the series some time ago and I'd already seen the first movie when I read the first book. I liked it, but I didn't really enjoy the one-sided perspective of the narrative being in first person. I wished Peeta would've gotten more participation in all the battles. I understand Suzanne's desire to show Katniss as a strong female, and how she reacts to all the changes surrounding her between the first and second books, but I would've liked to see more Peeta-action.

I'm sad to state that I completely loathed the third book of the series. I never particularly loved the other two, but I enjoyed them, specially the whole plot where everyone had to die eventually, but you still fell for some of the characters. I really liked the arena on Catching Fire; but I just hated Mockingjay on the whole. I had to drag myself through it until the end, and I think that Katniss' actions were way too stretched out, and her relationship with Peeta just became (MORE) of an object to everyone's enjoyment.

I hope the Mockingjay movies are good, though. I haven't seen CF but I loved The Hunger Games adaptation. :)

-- 28 Aug 2015, 04:24 --

I read the series some time ago and I'd already seen the first movie when I read the first book. I liked it, but I didn't really enjoy the one-sided perspective of the narrative being in first person. I wished Peeta would've gotten more participation in all the battles. I understand Suzanne's desire to show Katniss as a strong female, and how she reacts to all the changes surrounding her between the first and second books, but I would've liked to see more Peeta-action.

I'm sad to state that I completely loathed the third book of the series. I never particularly loved the other two, but I enjoyed them, specially the whole plot where everyone had to die eventually, but you still fell for some of the characters. I really liked the arena on Catching Fire; but I just hated Mockingjay on the whole. I had to drag myself through it until the end, and I think that Katniss' actions were way too stretched out, and her relationship with Peeta just became (MORE) of an object to everyone's enjoyment.

I hope the Mockingjay movies are good, though. I haven't seen CF but I loved The Hunger Games adaptation. :)
philianeo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philianeo.html

Post by philianeo »

The Hunger Games series was the first set of books that actually got me into reading. I read it when I was 13, and having just being exposed to a dystopian themed fictional world, it immediately drawed me in. For me, I'd have to say that Catching Fire was my favorite. The mysteries that the arena possessed and the anticipation was an A+++. Mockingjay, however, seemed a little too messy for me. Upon reading, I felt that it was little bit rushed.
Hanley96

Post by Hanley96 »

I really enjoyed the hunger game series. The first book will always be my favorite. But the other two books are just as great. For me it was like we got to witness katniss growing. In the first installment , she was young with no experience . and as the series progressed I saw katniss transform from a girl that comes from a small and poor village to a girl who believes in herself, to the girl who is " on fire."
courtney8847
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney8847.html

Post by courtney8847 »

I have to list the Hunger Games under one of my favorite books. It's never boring, and though it can be bleak at times. (which is expected for a dystopian novel) the darkness of it is what keeps it unpredictable at every turn. The author truly knows how to capture emotion.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I really did enjoy the books, but did seem to have the same issued as a few of you with the last book. It just wasn't at the same standard as the others. I also started having an issue with Katniss in the last book and began to dislike the character the more I read it, which I think kind of put me off it a bit more.
I would definitely recommend the first book but would warn people about reading further :/
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I enjoyed the last book, but really didn't like when the unmentionable happened or Katniss's happily ever after. I honestly liked the series as a whole, but I think the last book deterred people because it wasn't about the games. The first book and most of the second are devoted to what happens in the games. I, in particular, loved the concept of the arena in the second book. I feel like that was such a creative idea. The last book focuses on Katniss accepting and embracing her role as the leader/face of the revolution and her role in taking down the Capital, which can seem a bit boring compared to all the excitement in the games.
Journey beyond the jacket.
Sara MCR
Currently Reading: So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-mcr.html

Post by Sara MCR »

When I first read the book, I was amazed and it felt as if I was drinking water after so many years in the desert, and I just couldn't get enough. I was disappointed by the movie - it all looked so much different in my head...
Now every time I try to read it, I just start crying because I now what happens later...
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I watched the movie first, with my friend that had read the book...you know one of those (like me) that sits there and lets you know every time the movie "got it wrong"....so, of course I decided to read the book aannndd shocker...the book was way better! I always hate when Hollywood doesn't capture my mental images correctly...need to talk to them about that. I really was not prepared for the end of the Mockingjay. I really don't even want to see that on film (bring out the tissues!). I still reread the books and my eyes tear up every stinking time! Katniss is just so easy to relate to for me.
Journey beyond the jacket.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”