Official Review: The Lighthouse Keeper by David Richards

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Lighthouse Keeper by David Richards

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lighthouse Keeper" by David Richards.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you have moments in your past that you've dwelled on for so long they've become a daily part of your life? Are there dreams that you've decided not to pursue because you're afraid? Or has someone told you they aren't realistic? Then you have a lot in common with our protagonist, Sam.

Sam's father is a chicken farmer, and Sam figures he is expected to take over the family business when he's old enough. That's not what he wants, though. He finally gets up the courage to tell his father that he wants something different for his life, and Sam leaves to become an apprentice to a lighthouse keeper named Armand. Armand, and Black Eagle Lighthouse, aren't quite what they seem; Sam might end up learning a bit more than he bargained for.

The Lighthouse Keeper by David Richards is a unique story that's difficult to classify. It's almost an allegory or a fictional self-help book. This actually makes sense when you realize the author is "a firewalker, yoga teacher, life strategist, and corporate executive." There are life lessons to be learned; and, most importantly, they're taught in a fun way. However, if you go into the book expecting a science fiction adventure, you'll be disappointed.

What are these lessons you ask? The topics covered in the novel include letting go of the past and being present in each moment. At one point, meditation techniques are even discussed. So many of us need to hear what the author has to say. It's a bonus that these weightier topics are presented in a fun way. The allegorical part of the story teaches these lessons, but the author brings them home through the use of Sam's journaling, to which we as the reader are privileged.

The story is told from the third person perspective, and the author uses his words well. The descriptions are vivid and help immerse the reader into the world of the book. For example, "The grey-purple sky was a fleet of quick moving, bloated storm clouds that grumbled and belched in unchecked anger."

The characters aren't plentiful, making for easier understanding and comprehension. The ones used are relatable and integral to the plot. Many of us feel like Sam, as he's restless in his life. Joseph - who I'll leave you to discover - let's his fears hold him back. I don't know about you, but fear does control me from time to time.

The one drawback was the editing. There were more than ten errors in this book of less than 200 pages. These were mostly simple typographical mistakes that weren't overly distracting. However, the book could still use another round of editing.

Due solely to the errors, I rate The Lighthouse Keeper 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone that enjoys fiction with a message. If your past defines you or you've let yourself believe you can't accomplish your dreams, this is a must read.

The Lighthouse Keeper
View: on Bookshelves
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I love allegorical stories. I feel like you can learn so much more and have a bigger takeaway from the author’s message. This book sounds like a nice shorter story with some important messages and an imaginative setting. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I have to admit that I let fear control some of my experiences, which I wish wasn't so. This book may be just what I need to put my fears in the proper perspective. Thank you for an interesting and well-written review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 09:48 I love allegorical stories. I feel like you can learn so much more and have a bigger takeaway from the author’s message. This book sounds like a nice shorter story with some important messages and an imaginative setting. Thanks for your wonderful review!
You've got it exactly right. It's well-imagined and well-written. Worth reading for sure. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Prisallen wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 11:12 I have to admit that I let fear control some of my experiences, which I wish wasn't so. This book may be just what I need to put my fears in the proper perspective. Thank you for an interesting and well-written review!
It's hard not to let fear control you. The author gives you an interesting perspective on that. It will make you think. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I can see why this book might be hard to classify, but the portions about letting go of the past and living in the present piqued my interest. Thanks for the recommendation!
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

With a choice between being a lighthouse keeper’s apprentice and a generational chicken farmer, I think Sam chose well! I was curious about the potential sci-fi/fantasy aspect of it, since that part didn’t present itself in the book’s description, so thanks for addressing that component of the tale. Great review!
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

Wow...
This story sounds really interesting with a lot of messages...
Lighthouse keeper soulds well written too.
Nice review
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 11:51 I can see why this book might be hard to classify, but the portions about letting go of the past and living in the present piqued my interest. Thanks for the recommendation!
Despite being hard to classify, it's worth a read. Great points. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 11:56 With a choice between being a lighthouse keeper’s apprentice and a generational chicken farmer, I think Sam chose well! I was curious about the potential sci-fi/fantasy aspect of it, since that part didn’t present itself in the book’s description, so thanks for addressing that component of the tale. Great review!
I wouldn't really classify this as science fiction. I mean there's kind of a fantasy element but not really. Allegory would be much more accurate. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Dannyphery wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 13:57 Wow...
This story sounds really interesting with a lot of messages...
Lighthouse keeper soulds well written too.
Nice review
It's a keeper. I definitely recommend it. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Sam must have felt like a bird that escaped the fowler's snare when he was able to stand up to his father. I think he made the right choice anyway. This book must be a keeper!
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

This book reminds me of "The Alchemist". I love that it reminds the readers of the importance of mindfulness and living in the present moment: we all need to hear this more often!! Thank you for an insightful and thorough review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

I love books like these that don't stick within the cliches of their genre. Anything that can teach good life lessons is worth a read.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 21:51 Sam must have felt like a bird that escaped the fowler's snare when he was able to stand up to his father. I think he made the right choice anyway. This book must be a keeper!
His reaction isn't quite what you might think. Of course, neither is his dad's. You'll have to read it to find out. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”