Official Review: Ecotopian World by Zachia Middlechild

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Re: Official Review: Ecotopian World by Zachia Middlechild

Post by NetMassimo »

Nerea wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 18:45 Sounds like an intriguing and thrilling time travel story. I'm amused by the reproductive arrangement highlighted in the story. I think I need to delve deep into the story to draw more gems. Additionally, I'm glad to know that the material is free from profanity and other graphic references. Thanks for the lovely review.
The story is not about time travel, it's just that there's a series of events that set up tht situation that's been going on for some decades.
Ciao :)
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

unamilagra wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 21:36 This reminds me of Handmaid's Tale with the forced breeding, hopefully without the forced "natural conception" that goes along with it. I like dystopian books and always think it's interesting to see what different authors think the future could hold for us. It sounds like with a bit of polishing, this could be a great book. Thanks for a thorough review!
Honestly I can't tell if The Handmaid's Tale was a source of inspiration, but the use of women as breeders seems a pretty common theme explored in dystopias.
Massimo
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

I like the idea of Ecotopia as being a place where magic is related to the well being of the environment. This book sounds really interesting, and I really hope that it goes under another round of editing. All in all, do you believe it would be interesting for a 15-year-old girl?
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Tavaiel26 wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 05:37 I like the idea of Ecotopia as being a place where magic is related to the well being of the environment. This book sounds really interesting, and I really hope that it goes under another round of editing. All in all, do you believe it would be interesting for a 15-year-old girl?
A 15-year old girl might identify with Christina Braggio, who is 13 at the beginning of the novel. If she likes the concepts of magic and bonding with magic animals, she might find the novel interesting.
Massimo
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love the theme of the book, that there is hope if people will just take care of the Earth. Throwing in a little fantasy into the mix with magic makes it even more appealing. I think I would enjoy this book in spite of its problems. Thanks for a great review!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Prisallen wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 08:35 I love the theme of the book, that there is hope if people will just take care of the Earth. Throwing in a little fantasy into the mix with magic makes it even more appealing. I think I would enjoy this book in spite of its problems. Thanks for a great review!
In my opinion, the novel's merits far outweigh its flaws. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I’m normally not into this genre, but this book proposes themes that are very current and relevant: environmentalism, fertility and gender relations. I was very fascinated by your analysis of the book. Great work!!!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

espo wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 10:45 I’m normally not into this genre, but this book proposes themes that are very current and relevant: environmentalism, fertility and gender relations. I was very fascinated by your analysis of the book. Great work!!!
Yes, the author projected our situation in a future that's not so far away showing what might happen to the world. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

You may be right about some people being disturbed about the egg harvesting from girls, and I appreciate your warning. However, from your rating, I guess there is a more important story to focus on than just that. Thanks for a great review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Charlyt wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 03:04 You may be right about some people being disturbed about the egg harvesting from girls, and I appreciate your warning. However, from your rating, I guess there is a more important story to focus on than just that. Thanks for a great review!
Yes, I decided to warn readers particularly sensitive to invasive procedures, but there's indeed a more important story that's far greater than those potentially disturbing moments. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

The plot seems really interesting. I'm curious already. Thanks for the great review!
Mbalewechinonso
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbalewechinonso.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Mbalewechinonso »

Ecotopia is a very good place to understand the importance of a healthy environment. This book also gives insight on the issues caused by radioactive fallouts which is a I recommend in this time of our generation. The most interesting part is the part of hope. Good review
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

anabiya sharik wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 05:59 The idea of having "breeders" seems very similar to Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, which is a scary thought. I'm wondering if there is a clear cut line between the good society and the bad one, or if both systems have their pros and cons? If one is obviously better, why hasn't the US adopted different practices after seeing how well its working for the other? So many questions... I think I'm going to have to read this one! Thanks
Honestly not all questions get answers. Possibly there will be more in the sequel already announced by the author to expand the story.
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 19:04 The plot seems really interesting. I'm curious already. Thanks for the great review!
Have fun. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Mbalewechinonso wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 01:21 Ecotopia is a very good place to understand the importance of a healthy environment. This book also gives insight on the issues caused by radioactive fallouts which is a I recommend in this time of our generation. The most interesting part is the part of hope. Good review
Hope is indeed crucial to make a difference between a society that aims at utopia and one that fell into a dystopia.
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”