Official Review: Post-Apocalyptic Paradise

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Official Review: Post-Apocalyptic Paradise

Post by Abacus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Post-Apocalyptic Paradise" by Alestarious Blac.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The year is 2177, and there is one small person left alive after the superpowers have bombed each other and the world into oblivion. The small person's name is Wyatt Sullivan. He is seven years old, and he woke up on a school bus, with no memory of anything.

Being an incredibly resourceful small person, he learned to forage and stay alive amongst the mutated remnants of humankind. Wyatt also educated himself by reading news articles and books he obtained from abandoned libraries and schools. He thought of himself as a survivor. The more self-help literature he read, the more obsessed with it he became. Wyatt was alone – and he was sad. He sought for a purpose for himself and made up an idea that he was saved for a crucial, as yet unknown, mission.

He searched the channels on his radio every day for a couple of hours for signs of human activity. When it came, he was ready to make the dangerous journey to Greydon. Before Wyatt arrived at the city of Greydon, mutants attacked him, severely injuring his arm. A man called Grim rescued Wyatt, and he awoke with a new metal arm with incredible powers. He did not know then that the metal arm was Prometheus – "the revered arm of legend." Grim also had a metal arm known as Thanatos.

So begins the fantastic story Post-Apocalyptic Paradise in which every action-packed page has Wyatt's mind in overdrive, watching out for "skinless mutants baring their exposed organs on their bodies" and scavenging for food and artifacts. Wyatt calls them feral humans. The writing is so intense that you must read it for yourselves to understand its power. It was so compelling to me; I could not stop reading until the end.

Post-Apocalyptic Paradise is incredibly imaginative and detailed. We know what Wyatt had for breakfast, how he obtained it, how he cooked it, and what use he made of scavenged leftover pots and pans. He is surprisingly knowledgeable for one so young and self-taught. Although depressed with sometimes suicidal thoughts, Wyatt has a strength of purpose, which allows him to override self-defeating thoughts. Alestarious Blac wrote this book, especially for people who suffer from depression, he wants you to read his adventure, connect to him, and allow his story to empower you.

There is sufficient depth to all the characters who are part of Post-Apocalyptic Paradise. They have human foibles, and the rich and powerful make more unfortunate people work for them. They make them share masks in the radioactive atmosphere and do not feed them properly or give them health care. We understand them quite well because we all know people like them. Wyatt has a sense of justice and wants to help everyone rich and poor. His empathy for those around him is such a strong emotion. How could one person make any difference in the city of Greydon, the last bastion of humankind?

I liked one particular story when Wyatt comes across a mutated cross between an elephant and a camel, and he senses that the animal is depressed and will not hurt him. Instead, he believes the animal wants him to climb on his back. The animal was ugly, but Wyatt sensed a heart that needed companionship, and they traveled together through cities and countryside. The animal died later that day, and Wyatt experienced a sense of loss, but the animal seemed to be smiling. Wyatt whispered, "Thank you, and wished the animal a spot with God."

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for the gripping story outlining the monumental struggle for survival that humans must face. And for the unique goal of the author to weave a story to connect with depressed readers. This is book 1 in a series called Anima Devium, Latin for Wayward Souls. I enjoyed Wyatt's character very much for his deep survival instincts, even though he was often afraid. I was uncomfortable with the references to the Holocaust; even in support of a remarkable story, it seems inappropriate to invoke such memories. I detected a few errors in the manuscript, none of which detracted from the story at all. I believe it to be professionally edited.

I recommend Post-Apocalyptic Paradise to a broad audience who would prefer our world to be a kinder, gentler place. Also, to people who love tightly packed excitement and detailed descriptions of everything. I recommend it to Y/A's but not under-twelves. Some horrific fight scenes and lurid portraits of feral humans may be too stark for some readers. In the author's words: "A message to those struggling with depression – This is for you ... You are important to me, very much so. Enjoy the book, and when you're done just know that now you got to know someone new. You got to know me."

Post-Apocalyptic Paradise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Post-apocalyptic and dystopian books are my absolute favorite type of sci-fi. Without fail, they show human resilience and the will not just to survive but to live. Wyatt has already captured my heart just from your description of him and his struggles. This just shot to the top of my reading list. I greatly enjoyed reading your review. It seems to have caught the emotional charge of the book perfectly.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The post-apocalyptic theme is a classic that predated science fiction, so a great effort is needed to write something that's not just same old same old. Looks like this case was a success. I might be a bit old for young adult stories, but I'll look more into this series. Thank you for your informative review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

In my opinion, this is a very unusual and very interesting book. A little boy who managed to survive alone in a terrible world and at the same time addicted to reading books is a very bright and unusual hero. Besides, detailed descriptions are always a sign of a well-written book for me.

Thank you for great review!
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Kelyn wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 21:13 Post-apocalyptic and dystopian books are my absolute favorite type of sci-fi. Without fail, they show human resilience and the will not just to survive but to live. Wyatt has already captured my heart just from your description of him and his struggles. This just shot to the top of my reading list. I greatly enjoyed reading your review. It seems to have caught the emotional charge of the book perfectly.
I am always in awe of the author's imagination, a beautiful and different story is precious.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

NetMassimo wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 02:55 The post-apocalyptic theme is a classic that predated science fiction, so a great effort is needed to write something that's not just same old same old. Looks like this case was a success. I might be a bit old for young adult stories, but I'll look more into this series. Thank you for your informative review!
Yes, I agree with you. Thanks for the input.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

SunVixen wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 08:52 In my opinion, this is a very unusual and very interesting book. A little boy who managed to survive alone in a terrible world and at the same time addicted to reading books is a very bright and unusual hero. Besides, detailed descriptions are always a sign of a well-written book for me.

Thank you for great review!
I agree with you. It was a great read. Thanks for the input.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”