Official Review: Power Multiplied by Cathy Parker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
williamsack6329
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williamsack6329.html
Latest Review: The Book of Joy by Monique Jesiolowski, Robert Jesiolowski

Official Review: Power Multiplied by Cathy Parker

Post by williamsack6329 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Power Multiplied" by Cathy Parker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the sci-fi fantasy piece titled Power Multiplied by Cathy Parker, the reader is introduced to a world of aliens, higher dimensions, and abilities that extend beyond comprehension. In this sequel story, Shannon Kendricks, the main character, is once again thrown into this fantastical world when she is almost killed in a disintegrating underwater government complex, primarily referred to as the UC by many of the characters. Shannon—a powerful telepath with psychic capabilities and who shares telepathic connections with a beluga whale and other animals—had a premonition of this disaster and initiated an evacuation that saved many lives. While recovering, Shannon learns through the help of her telepathic alien friend, Salesti, that the UC was destroyed when an interdimensional creature called a dragonpanther materialized on Earth and accidentally crashed into the complex. As if this wasn’t enough, Salesti also telepathically informs Shannon that another alien creature named Essi, who is an infant, is on Earth and is carrying a virus that threatens all of humanity if released from Essi’s deceased body. But these extraterrestrials are different—they can possess physical lifeforms on Earth. So, all those who Shannon can trust begin to dwindle. Shannon must find Essi not only to prevent an earthen cataclysm but also an apocalypse on the dragonpanther’s planet FireWorld. The very virus that could destroy Earth can cure the inhabitants of FireWorld from a world-shattering disease. However, there is another dragonpanther who seeks to unleash the virus on Earth and kill Essi in order to extract the cure. The fate of two worlds now rests on Shannon’s shoulders.

One of the greatest assets of Parker’s piece is her unbelievable talent in immersing the reader into the story. Throughout the majority of the piece, one is constantly swimming in the main character’s head, sharing her thoughts, memories, and experiences firsthand. I also really enjoyed the author’s inclusion of Norse mythological references. For instance, the main character often says “for Odinssake” and “Loki’s curse.” Furthermore, I think it is quite masterful how Parker fuses science fiction and fantasy together so beautifully and seamlessly. This is exemplified through the dragon-like creatures that are technically aliens and come from a different planet altogether. This aspect of the book, moreover, is an ingenious move by the author. The only facet of the book that I did not find particularly enjoyable was how some characters made jokes and provided comic relief in excess and at unnecessary times. Like, for instance, when Shannon’s friend Kota is visiting the main character in the hospital but appears overly enthusiastic, despite the fact that she just narrowly escaped death, knew several colleagues who just recently passed away in the UC accident, and just saved some trapped survivors. The fact that Kota was jovial and lighthearted after these events is a little unrealistic.

Nevertheless, I think Cathy Parker’s book can relate to nearly any audience, though maybe not children since there are some instances of vulgar language. However, I think Power Multiplied can appeal to young adults and adults alike, especially those who are fans of fantasy and science fiction. Additionally, I think that the author should be applauded for her ability to keep the reader captivated and emotionally invested in each of the characters involved, making for an incomparably mesmerizing read.

Furthermore, I think it should be stated that Power Multiplied appears to have been fairly well-edited. Throughout my reading, I came across very few errors and was unable to find any massive or recurring mistakes. Although the book was not edited and revised perfectly, it still seems to have been carefully written and proofread.

With all of this in mind, I think that Cathy Parker’s book Power Multiplied deserves a score of 4 out of 4 stars. The well-written and adequately edited work, coupled with the facts that multiple genres were blended together wonderfully and the reader was easily immersed in this wondrous world of dragons and telepathy, proves to be a valuable addition to the literature of its kind. Moreover, the author was able to maintain the reader’s interest all throughout the book—all the while revealing an intricately and stunningly interwoven plot. Each of these things ensures a high rating for this book.

Power Multiplied
View: on Bookshelves
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

I am not a big Si-Fi reader, but this book sounds so interesting and the plot of the story truly grabs me and makes me want to dive into the world of the book. Thanks for your review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an intriguing mix of science fiction and fantasy with a sophisticated story development. Thank you for your interesting review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”