Official Review: Mason by Tom Wheeler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Official Review: Mason by Tom Wheeler

Post by Momlovesbooks »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mason" by Tom Wheeler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mason: The Last Messenger, by Tom Wheeler, is a science fiction fantasy. It is a thriller that contains political intrigue, spiritual battles, and hidden technological advances.

The story begins as Mason, a soul in Heaven, is upset about leaving the heavenly realms to be birthed on Earth. However, once he realizes he is the last messenger to call America to repentance, he accepts his calling. Mason is born to a father who should have been a messenger, but was waylaid from his calling. At the same time in another country, Hassan is being raised as a different type of messenger. We follow the struggles of Mason and Hassan as they discover secret technological products, battle their own private demons, and protect their loved ones - all while trying to follow their calling.

Wheeler has written an action packed novel that I couldn’t put down. It is very descriptive in its geography - consisting of settings from Washington, D.C. to the Middle East.

The characters are one of the most interesting aspects of the book. Since this is a supernatural thriller, it contains angels and demons. They are vividly described. For example, “All of the archangels are brilliantly white with a form similar to a human and a circle of rainbow colors shooting from their chest”. The human counterparts are just as intriguing. Mason and his family are likeable characters, despite their failings and bad judgement at times. Even the antagonist, Hassan, is developed in such a way that I felt he was an important part of the story and not just a side character trying to thwart the protagonist.

I enjoyed how this book delved into the supernatural realm, yet kept me grounded in the physical world by tying things together using the secret advances in technology that might be going on now and the hidden battles going on in the unseen realms. Robert Whitlock (an author) comments “In Mason, Tom Wheeler has opened the door to the spiritual realm in a way not seen since Frank Peretti’s This Present Darkness. Pick up this book and you won’t put it down.”

On the downside, there were a couple of characters’ storylines that I felt were not fully developed. I’m hoping that the sequel will focus on those areas. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It seemed to be professionally edited, but there were quite a few minor grammatical mistakes. The book would benefit from another editing. There was only mild profanity and sexual references.

Based on the above observations, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. If there had been fewer grammatical errors, I would have rated it 4 stars. I believe anyone that enjoys sci-fi adventure novels will enjoy this one. However, I feel conservative, religious types would enjoy it more. I look forward to reading the sequel to this book.

Mason
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Post by shannonkate8 »

I know we are all told that we should not judge a book by it's cover, but it is hard not to be intrigued by what is happening here. Based on your review, it seems to be wonderfully tied to the story line. For example, Heaven being the main focus, you can see that in the white light and the clouds. As a messenger to America, it seems that the building on the cover could be the White House. The parallels are interesting.
On another note, your review and obvious enjoyment of the story makes me want to read this, despite not being a huge sci-fi lover!
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

This sounds like an interesting book that delves deep into some religious themes. I don't normally go for books with angels and the like, but I might have to give this one a try. Thanks for the review!
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

My whole life I've been wild about a specific genre and didn't even know it had a name. Speculative Christian Fiction. Basically meaning, you hold to Fundamental Biblical beliefs but then let your imagination go "FLOOPY"!

I discovered Tom Wheeler through a friend's recommendation of his blog that deals with Christian Fantasy Sci-Fi at it's floopiest. However, I haven't read any books by him yet, so when I saw your review I thought I must check it out because I have come to respect your opinion. Even being able to equate it to This Present Darkness was helpful in clarifying the ambiance/fragrance/style of the book.

I appreciate your review and your apparent vast knowledge about many other books that only serves to enhance your reviews and help your reader decide if it's a suitable book for them.

Sincerely, Laura-Lee
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds absolutely intriguing! I was hooked with your description of Mason's assignment. The excellent descriptions add to the positive elements of this book. Thanks for observations and recommendations. I will be looking for the sequel, too!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This sounds like a well-written book that doesn't necessarily appeal to me. I am glad you enjoyed the book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”